Malkoff M91

tuelleric

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Does anyone own a M91 from the 1st and the 2nd group buy? I think the 2nd run has different emitters. How do they compare?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Depends on what one you got out of the second run. First run was a beautiful perfect tint. Best Malkoff I have. The second run had a few that had a pinkish tint and others were more white In them. Imo first run was the best. Perfect in every way.

tuelleric

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I have both from the first run and I totally agree that they are very beautiful lights.

Seems that we were really lucky. Such a group buy is alway kind of a lottery. You do not know what it will look like but you have to take it. A HiCRi M91 would be tempting, though.

WhiskeyLight

Newly Enlightened
I think my M91B from the second group buy has become my most used evening light for outdoor use. MD2, 22.3mm with hi/low ring, a single 18650 cell. Low is perfect for walking around the yard, high is perfect for lighting up everything within 100 yards. Not as throwy as the 18650 Hound Dog, not as broad a beam as my old Wildcat. A perfect compromise.

I can't speak to the first run, but I've got one from the 2nd run with the slightly pinkish tint, and to be honest I really love it! Perhaps this is a case of "never having seen the sunshine (version 1), he was fine with cloudy days", but I rank this above many other lights I currently own. Just something about it, and as mentioned, low on an 18650 is a wonderful thing, and a quick twist to high gives you a whole 'nother perspective. Sweet Rosey O'Malkoff!

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I think my M91B from the second group buy has become my most used evening light for outdoor use. MD2, 22.3mm with hi/low ring, a single 18650 cell. Low is perfect for walking around the yard, high is perfect for lighting up everything within 100 yards. Not as throwy as the 18650 Hound Dog, not as broad a beam as my old Wildcat. A perfect compromise.
I’ve been carrying a Z3 with mine and 2XAA. Still plenty of light and oh that tint (5000K).

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy! ALL SHIPPED

I have heard these newer M91BN's are running off surprisingly low voltages. Has anybody seen a runtime test off 2AA?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have heard these newer M91BN's are running off surprisingly low voltages. Has anybody seen a runtime test off 2AA?

I just swapped the 2x17500 in my C3HA for a pair of ama-loop NiMH AA's. Beening running now for 1hr 45min and its still a good, general use amount of light. Could easily walk a not-smooth trail or do other tasks, but it is a bit dimmer than at the beginning. Going to end the test for now, but maybe in the near future I'll be slightly more thorough with a little bit of current consumption checking. Very interesting that it handles both multiple lithium ion cells and a pair of NiMH pretty well.

Ohhh intersting!! Just turned it off and now it won't light up again on these cells! I'll definitely have to repeat when I have my DMM out.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter

Mine went for 50 hours On 2AA energies L91’s.

Kestrel

Staff member
Please keep in mind that we saw radically different runtimes (and conversely, outputs / output curves) from NiMh vs Alkaline vs Energizer Lithiums - at low drive currents, respective cell voltages are rather different for each chemistry.

This should be one of those examples where 2xAA alkaline should be demonstrably superior to NiMh - under significant loads, their voltages are similar; however under very light loads, alkalines certainly deliver more voltage.

I believe that 2xNiMh will fall under Vin of the module before the cells are depleted, so that might be something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Staff member
I have moved three posts from the Group Buy thread to this discussion thread.

When replying to one of those recent posts containing a different thread title, please edit your post title if necessary so as to maintain continuity with this discussion thread. :)

Thank you & best regards,

Last edited:

tuelleric

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Fired up my M91W (XM-L) yesterday after a long time. What a great tint and beam profil. Someone here discribed it as „creamy“ and that it is. So pleasant to the eyes.
When I received my M91BN from the 1st group buy I was about to sell the M91W. Now I am glad that I did not.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
So got a little bored and decided to run my M91B with my 3X18650 host. Keeppower 3600
She’s only pulling 1000 Ma with this setup and ran full out for 3 hours. All cells were at 3.8-3-9. At end of test.
I tested this same dropin last year on 2X18650’s and got 2 hours. So one extra cell, one extra hour. 1000 lumens for 3 hours out of a solid no nonsense unit I think is pretty good.

BSdV

Newly Enlightened
A M91B or M91T running off a single 18650 cell will give the same output on low as the regular M61(T) dropins, is that correct?
I have a M91B and M91T coming my way together with MD3 and MD4 bodies.
Already have some MD2 bodies with various M61 dropins but what I’m missing most is a more usable low output.
Done a lot of walking at night and the light that saw the most use was my M61NLL on high as on low the output was insufficient. But often I still want more on high.

Hoping that the M91 with MD3/4 will give me more useable low output while at the same time give increased output on high when compared with M61.

would be nice if this will also be the case with M91 running of a single 18650 - but I suppose for that I will have to change the resistor.
Or am I wrong, will a M91 MD2 powered by a single 18650 also have an increased low output when compared with M61?

Cheers!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
At same voltage the M91 and M61 on low are basically the same.Higher voltage will give you a higher low. My M61 running off of 2X18500’s is brighter then my M 91 off of a 18350 on low.

BSdV

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
was already a little afraid for that.
Might have to look at some other resistors then.
If I understand correctly at the moment the standard resistor for the high/low ring is 75 ohms.
Need to find something with a smaller resistance I suppose.

would be nice if the low output would be in the 50-60ish range. This should still give lots of running hours I suppose.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
WHAT?!..... that's not an M91.

QuYU1zu.jpg

Well it is sort of......

qw30kp1.jpg

Had a couple of 5000K LED's left over from the first run, so I had this done.