Malkoff M91

fulee9999

Enlightened
Ok. wonder if the M61 SST has less throw the genes previous ones. To me the M91 is a wall of light brighter of course then the 61 but not quite as much throw.

well the M61 has a tighter hotspot giving more oomph at the same lumen output, but obviously the M91 has way more lumens with a wider hotspot

the M61 is more of a room search or general use, while M91 is more of a warehouse or searchlight

for comparison, full auto camera settings to demonstrate the hotspot regardless of output/tint/cct/cri:
( M91BN on the left, M61N on the right )
1657735501423.png

Mr. LED

Enlightened
well the M61 has a tighter hotspot giving more oomph at the same lumen output, but obviously the M91 has way more lumens with a wider hotspot

the M61 is more of a room search or general use, while M91 is more of a warehouse or searchlight

for comparison, full auto camera settings to demonstrate the hotspot regardless of output/tint/cct/cri:
( M91BN on the left, M61N on the right )
View attachment 29824
Is this M61N SST-20 or XP-G2?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I have the opposite experience, the M61N SST-20 has a smaller hotspot but not as intense, whereas the M91BN has a bigger and more intense hotspot.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I favor the m91b in md3 or c3 form these days. The m61 still has its place with longer runtime, doesn't get too hot to hold with extended use, and the 3000k sst20 has nicer tint than the 3000k xpl (and slightly better cri goes to the sst20). M61 does have a little more spot than m91b but the 91 is so much more bright it's almost a moot point.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, if the M91BN could go to a sst-20 as well, or even better the 519a I would be forced to buy yet another Malkoff. Somewhat unfortunately, Gene does not seem to ride the tide of new emitters very often.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, if the M91BN could go to a sst-20 as well, or even better the 519a I would be forced to buy yet another Malkoff. Somewhat unfortunately, Gene does not seem to ride the tide of new emitters very often.

And there's no reason Gene can't offer the new emitters with Andy Zhu supplying premium 519a and 219b emitters to the smaller shops that Nichia won't cater to. Simon with Convoy will sell them, too. Simon has nearly every reputable LED.

But Malkoff doesn't play the tint game...so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't ride the tide.

Last edited:

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
And there's no reason Gene can't offer the new emitters with Andy Zhu supplying premium 519a and 219b emitters to the smaller shops that Nichia won't cater to. Simon with Convoy will sell them, too. Simon has nearly every reputable LED.

But Malkoff doesn't play the tint game...so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't ride the tide.
IDK man... It seems like Malkoff really rides the tint game lol. Even my E2XT and E2XTD are noticeably different. my E2XTD is almost a slight purple compared to my E2XT. I can immediately tell which one I'm carrying by a 1 second flash on the wall. I would buy a 519a M91 if they become available.

fulee9999

Enlightened
after getting my hands on some gear I figured I'd check the M91BN, because even though it's "neutral" and generally - to my eyes at least - it look quite okay, but comparing it to the M61N the reds looked way off... soooo did some measuring, and yeah, the R9 values are not great
( great drop-in nonetheless, just interesting to see )

1660835308195.png

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M61N and M91N, both are not HCRI (however, the tint is awesome) and I never noticed the difference indoors or out.

It is possible that I never had a good quality HCRI light to compare them to.

As far as usability, I find the M91N fits a void in my collection where the M61N is more of a duplicate.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I have an M61N and M91N, both are not HCRI (however, the tint is awesome) and I never noticed the difference indoors or out.

It is possible that I never had a good quality HCRI light to compare them to.

As far as usability, I find the M91N fits a void in my collection where the M61N is more of a duplicate.

What do you mean the M61N is not HCRI?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small handful of both xpg2 and sst20 M61N and M61NL drop ins as well as the current M91BN with the XPL. The SST20 and XPG2 61's are virtually identical. Now maybe some of those xpg2's were underrated for CRI or maybe Gene had some batched of 90+ I don't know but they are good, very good (as we all know). That M91 is not in the same league I am afraid. Definitely more of a yellow/beige look and the CRI is definitely unimpressive even to the eye. Not a bad module by any means but if you are looking for CRI and low BBL it might not fit your expectations. I am constantly switching my MDC between the M61N and the M91BN. I love the ability to use my 3-cell body with AA's on the 91 but the 61's are just so much nicer light...

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
I have been impressed with the 91B the last few weeks. The wide voltage range is amazing. An interesting phenomenon doing chores last evening. After about 30 min or so it started strobing. It was in an MD2 with an extension and two Keeppower 18500's. Very curious.
I ran the unit in a different body on one cell for over an hour with no problems. so not an issue with the 91B itself.
Put it back into the original body and the same batteries with the same thing, strobing. Must be the protected cells doing something funny. I have it running in the original configuration with fresh cells and no issues after 45 min so far.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya if there protected it's more then likely the circuit kicking in. Are they the 2000 mah?

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
Ya if there protected it's more then likely the circuit kicking in. Are they the 2000 mah?
No, they are the 2300 mah. On the current test the light went out at 1 hr and 10 min. I was very surprised at the temperature. I have run it before and recorded about 116 deg F but this time it was 169 deg F. WOW. All cooled off now. 1 batt at 2.8V and the other at 3.1V.

Last edited: