Malkoff MD2 365nm UV

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
If the output is not measured in lumens, what is it measured in? Watts?

And, how much difference did that filtering lense make?

Day and night difference, did you read the post?.... Took me a second to google that The intensity of UV radiation is measured in the units of milliwatts per square centimeter (mW/cm2​) which is energy per square centimeter received per second. Also, it is measured in the units of millijoules per square centimeter (mJ/cm2​), which is energy received per unit area in a given time.

and more on this subject
https://uvmeasurement.org/pdf/RR_Spring2011_MeasuringOutputUltravioletLightEmittingDiodes.pdf

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Malkoff UV works good. At times i felt like it could have a bit more output but it will work for it's use. Standard UV lights will illuminate all kinds of things. The wood glass lens filters out a lot and mainly illuminates the objects. Not sure if that makes sense but it's different. Some may like it and some may not.

I don't have experience with many UV lights but my choice would be the Malkoff or an HDS (but those were limited to 2 sm runs)...although those are the only 2 I have experience with but know that they are of very good quality.

I don't really have a use for UV and never really have. I hear they make excellent scorpion hunting lights among other things. In automotive use a dye would be needed.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I picked up one of the MD2 UV units. It is very fun to play with as anything white will light up in the dark. In my completely dark basement I was able to navigate adequately due to the fluorescence of all the white paper, cloth and random items.

This light runs much better and "brighter" on 2 CR123s than an 18650. There is a visible difference in the distance and brightness of fluorescing items in the dark. I found a tennis ball in the yard one night doing beam shots that I didn't realize was there until I just scanned with it.

Do not get this if what you will see will bother you. I don't have a lot of experience with other UV lights, but this one is fairly powerful compared to the others I have used. My kids bathroom looked like a nuclear waste site under UV light. It might make you want to clean things you didn't know were dirty.

You will also see imperfections in paint, particularly around trim pieces. Lint/ dust on clothes is easily visible.

This is an excellent light to examine how well someone has cleaned your house. Dust lights up blue, other things are readily visible as well.

Outside some insects, insect(?) eggs, rocks will fluoresce, which is interesting. You will need to be fairly close; within 5-10 yards to see small things like this.

It may or may not be a good thing to bring traveling to a hotel.

I don't have a professional use for it and it is more of a novelty for me, but I will be using it next time I purchase a house, and it will be used to critique house cleaners moving forward.

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I'm thinking of getting the MD2 but is there maybe something better? How about the HDS UV mentioned? Having trouble finding that for sale anywhere

oh and excuse the noobee question... what kind of UV glasses should I get? High end if possible don't want to have to buy a seeing eye dodggie

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
If you contact Malkoff to ask, it is quite likely they will be able to accommodate.

The one potential issue, as others here have mentioned, is that they may want or need to sell it with the "UV warning" marked bezel.

I bought one of the UV lights when they first came out from Malkoff and it did not have a warning on it. I wonder if that was a live and learn kind of thing?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZWB2 filter will probably take another month before it arrives from CN. Going to try a Hoya U-360 (25.4mm x 2.5mm) bandpass and see how that goes...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol...I was going to ask the same being that I ordered two ZWB2 filters from KD over two weeks ago and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation :( whereas the U-360 ordered from Edmunds yesterday received a shipping confirmation today :) . As an aside, I placed the bandpass lens of the HDS UV over the acrylic lens of the MD UV to test and the results were absolutely outstanding.

...has anyone tried running it on 2x18650?
Runs fine in an MD3 off 2x18500 so should be no issues with 2x18650.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U-360 should be here this week. Not exactly emamored with 2.5mm of filtration (would prefer 0.5mm to 1.5mm), but a custom order through Edmunds meant a minimum of a quoted 10 pieces at 500 USD per piece :lol: . UVIROPTICS quoted a ballpark of 64 minimum units for U-340 and U-360. By all accounts, Tangsinuo on eBay/etsy appears to be the most reputable CN seller of ZWBx glass by virtue of their position as an actual manufacturer (as well as a few mentions across forums dedicated to UV photography). Going to order ZWB1 and ZWB2 from them in varying thicknesses to try out...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS > MD2 UV + Hoya U-360 in that the HDS hotspot is much brighter i.e. objects within its directed field of view fluoresce stronger. MD2 UV + Hoya U-36 > HDS in that a room can be sweeped faster owing to the greater spill of the MD2. As an aside, UVIROPTICS recommended a U-340 over a U-360 for 365nm. Will order one to try out.

I can't help but feel that while 850mA @ 6v works well enough without a bandpass up front, a higher power ceiling would suit 2.5mm of U-3x0 glass far better.

This light runs much better and "brighter" on 2 CR123s than an 18650. There is a visible difference in the distance and brightness of fluorescing items in the dark.
I have not found that to be the case with the SST-10-UV. 2x18500/1x18650/3xCR123A all appear to throw and flouresce similarly down to the drop out of regulation.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
No beam shots, just thoughts...

img1.jpg

1. Hoya U-360 (2.5mm) flouresces material as brightly as the KD ZWB2 (1.5mm)
2. KD ZWB2 (1.5mm) passes more visible light through than the Hoya U-360 (2.5mm)
3. Hoya U-360 (2.5mm) flouresces material brighter than the Hoya U-340 (2.5mm)
4. Hoya U-340 (2.5mm) passes less visible light through than both the KD ZWB2 (1.5mm) and Hoya U-360 (2.5mm)
5. Uncoated Hoya bandpass filters clean up well with isopropyl alcohol (91%).

If the MD2 UV were driven harder, or its hotspot were stronger (ala HDS), I would probably opt for the Hoya U-340 (2.5mm) and accept a small loss in UV transmission for a significant decrease in visible light.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Edmunds Optics. Would like to see the MD2 UV with a SMO instead of an OP. It is all in the hotspot with a bandpass up front.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Repost from The Malkoff Front Porch as this may be more relevant to users who have replaced the acrylic lens with a glass bandpass: Vortex Defender Flip Cap Objective 24 (O-24) with a maximum specified fitment OD of 31.25mm is a perfect fit for MDX 1.23 in = 31.242 mm bezels.

img1-1.jpg