Malkoff MD2 and Thyrm Switchback ring.. help?

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened
Several months ago I got myself a Malkoff MD2 and I've quickly boosted it to the top of the food chain. I've been looking at different pictures of lights and found the switchback ring, so I've begun to take an interest. However, I cannot find a picture anywhere with it on an MD2, although I'm pretty sure they are compatible. I may need to lego a surefire cap on the end of it instead

Does anyone have an MD2 and switchback ring that they might be able to snap a picture of?

Also, are there other rings that are good additions? I know raven concealment makes an O ring thing, but I don't know how good that would work either.

Any help for a flashlight noob would be greatly appreciated 😁

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Malkoff MD2 and Thyrim Switchback ring.. help?

If you're spelling Thrym with a "i" it would explain why you can't find much info.
P

Thyrim ... Thrym ... Thyrm .... I don't know, maybe I'd like to buy a vowel for the spelling of this item ? :thinking:

OP, I'll fix your title, for future searches at least ;)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Switchback will physically fit the MD2, although the shrouded tail cap will prevent the intended lever action from activating the switch. It will merely serve as a retention device. Also the tailcap will protrude significantly out of the top of the Switchback.

Surefire makes a rubber grip ring that will serve the same purpose, but is easier to detach should you need to holster the light.

Most of the time, I just use a fat plumbing O-ring fitted to a common, SF type lanyard ring. This will more or less mimic the Raven Concealment rig, minus the pocket clip.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thyrim ... Thrym ... Thyrm .... I don't know, maybe I'd like to buy a vowel for the spelling of this item ? :thinking:

OP, I'll fix your title, for future searches at least ;)

Sorry, not criticising. Just ponting out that if the OP was searching for Thyrim he might not have a s much luck as with Thrym.
P

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry, not criticising. Just ponting out that if the OP was searching for Thyrim he might not have as much luck as with Thrym.
P

Oh, I know, quite right ... I was just having a little fun with the fact that none of us seem to be able to spell this thing ... :laughing:

Last edited:

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, apparently I've been spelling it wrong all along :whistle:

But I found an article saying you can use a z41 or z59 Surefire tail cap to make it work better with the Thyrm. I ordered a Z59, but when I put it on it seems like it's not meant to be on there.
I have an 18650 battery in my light
and the Malkoff has a high-low mode

When I screw it all the way on, I feel a little bit of resistance, and the low mode will work only. If i put 2 CR123As inside, it seems to work fine.
Am I doing something work with the 18650? Or is it not going to fit with this new tailcap? I measured it and it looked like the 18650 is just 1/16-1/8 inch larger than the two CR123As.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20170927_192445.jpg

I just discovered today that the Elzetta speed clip for their Alpha fits a multitude of this sized lights including an MD2. $15. With their $3.95 lanyard ring you can add a finger ring if you want to.
Don't know if this fits your criteria paracord dude... just throwing out there.

(That's a Laser Products 6P with a Malkoff clicky in the front btw.)
IMG_20170927_205826.jpg

Later I placed the speed clip on the edge of the Malkoff tailcap. It can be slid further back towards the button on like in the pic above onto the light.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, apparently I've been spelling it wrong all along :whistle:

But I found an article saying you can use a z41 or z59 Surefire tail cap to make it work better with the Thyrm. I ordered a Z59, but when I put it on it seems like it's not meant to be on there.
I have an 18650 battery in my light
and the Malkoff has a high-low mode

When I screw it all the way on, I feel a little bit of resistance, and the low mode will work only. If i put 2 CR123As inside, it seems to work fine.
Am I doing something work with the 18650? Or is it not going to fit with this new tailcap? I measured it and it looked like the 18650 is just 1/16-1/8 inch larger than the two CR123As.

It sounds like the combined length of the 18650 + the Switchback makes the whole assembly too tight for the head to screw all the way down. In order to get the high beam, the little plunger on the high/low ring has to be fully compressed.

If you remove the Switchback, does the high beam function on the 18650 and the SF Z59 tail cap?

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened
Well I have yet to receive my switchback, it should be in tomorrow. But with just the the tailcap, it feels like its screwing on too tight.

I have not gotten the high mode to work with just the light and z59

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened
I'm such an idiot :fail: It just needed screwed on tighter. I was afraid it was going to smush my battery

However, I dropped my light and the dropin in the head is loose. Now I need to figure out how to take it apart. The struggles of a flashlight noob

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remove the head. You shoild see the bottom of the drop in with the spring pointing at you.
There is a brass ring that the spring pokes through. This is the HI / Lo ring which holds the drop in in place. You will see two small holes opposite each othe on the face of the ring. (Ignore the little nipple between them, this is the switch for the Hi / Lo thing) If you put the tips of some pointy nose pliers into the holes you can loosen or tighten the ring.
If I were you I'd remove the ring and drop in to check all is well then reassemble.
The empty head has a large gasket at the front that rarely comes out, check with a finger that it is there.The lens fits between this gasket and the shiny shelf on the drop in. It fits in the rebate at the front of the drop in.I normally find it easiest to point the drop in at the ceiling, place the lens in the rebate and drop the head over it. Then hold the drop in in place with a finger and turn it over and place on a table.
Loosely fit the retaining ring / HiLo ring into the back of the head and engage the threads, then using the pliers tighten it up well.
The whole assembly should be solid. Reattach the head.
If you have a small gasket left over it should have gone between the lens and the shiny shelf on the drop in. Some heads have this, some don't.

It's not a big deal, I take mine apart all the time.
P

P

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened

37454396706_a5b04b15d9_z.jpg

Overall, it fits well. If you carry it in a pocket, you're going to lose a lot of pocket space. However, I've got a more comfortable method of carrying.