Malkoff MD60

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I knew w/ the XM-L2s already coming out that I'd be at risk of buying at the end of the MD60's lifecycle. Oh well. :)

ganymede

Enlightened
Guys,

I just bought a MD60 off CPFM. To be honest, the XM-L is greenish. I am sitting here wondering should I swap out the XM-L to the newer XM-L2 or maybe say XP-G2 or Nichia 219?

Also, I noticed that Malkoff website is currently selling the XM-L2 MD60 rated at 650 lumens. Any difference in the drive current between my (older) module and the newer module with XM-L2 emitter?

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys,

I just bought a MD60 off CPFM. To be honest, the XM-L is greenish. I am sitting here wondering should I swap out the XM-L to the newer XM-L2 or maybe say XP-G2 or Nichia 219?

Also, I noticed that Malkoff website is currently selling the XM-L2 MD60 rated at 650 lumens. Any difference in the drive current between my (older) module and the newer module with XM-L2 emitter?

Even though you didn't buy it directly from Malkoff, or are the original owner, it's worth contacting Gene to see if he would be willing to swap out the LED or module all together. I had an M91 that had the sickest, purply tint I've ever seen. We talked for a while and he swapped it out with a "custom" M91N for me. Great guy.

These MD60's have had a green reputation since release. I would have expected Gene to start choosing better binned LED's after all of this feedback.

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
almost slightly greenish tint - definitely a byproduct of the SureFire reflector.

Just curious, how does a reflector contribute to color?

Doesn't a reflector just reflect? Color in = color out?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Well here's my new MD60 build. I do have a Z49 coming to replace the current tailcap. The MD60 fits perfectly in the KT1, however there is a small gap when screwing the body on to the collar of the head. It appears that the base of the LED tower bottoms out on the body where it steps down to hug the batteries - and I can't tighten it further to close the gap. This last photo shows this gap. Not a big deal to me and I can always add a GITD o-ring someday to fill the gap.The beam is awesome! The LED is centered in the reflector perfectly to produce a very tight and focused hot spot and it still has some spill to go along with it. This baby throws like champion. :devil:

I have the same setup only with a Triad Tail cap from Oveready/Moddoo with a McClicky installed by OR, and I love it!!!--Redled

MD601.jpg

MD603.jpg

MD602.jpg

MD604.jpg

Last edited:

Vernon

Enlightened
A couple of questions, if you don't mind:

- Can I run an MD60 on six primaries in an M6? Wouldn't that exceed the 14volt max?
- Is the XML-L2 supposed to have a better tint? Warmer?
- Is heat ever an issue? Can I run this thing for two hours in an M6 with no chance of damage to the LE?

Many thanks.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vernon. The m6 with 6 primary is on 9volts (9.6v when full). Only the m4 will have a 12volts (12.8v when full).
Since Malkoff rates the runtime at 1hr for the 9v, you should get 2 hours on 6 primary.

HydroDynamic

Newly Enlightened
I received a new MD60, XML2, 650 lumen. The tint is two parted. The spill is 6500k as stated but the spot is yellowish off white. No green, blue, or red. The output is not overrated, I would consider it 650 led lumens on the Surefire scale.
I have a M6LT which is brighter with a monster spot and no spill but I would still take the original M6 with choice of MD60 or bulbs.
If you have a M3,4,6 get a MD60 before productions runs stop. If you don't have a M3,4,6 get ahold of one while people will still sell them. They are going to be the muscle cars of flashlights. Throw in a MD60 and you can get the performance while still having a classic.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been seriously considering an MD60 for a while now, but how does its throw compare to the MN60 bulb in an M4? My M4's current MN60 LOLA throws pretty decent, but does the XM-L2 MD60 out-do that MN60?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
In short, no. I've compared both and the MD60 is really disappointing

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're better off reaching out to nailbender and seeing if he can still do a custom LED tower. The MD60 didn't throw nearly as far as the MN20/MN60 (M6/M4), and the tint was pretty bad.

I'm sure it's still a bulletproof drop in, but the color leaves a lot to be desired.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're better off reaching out to nailbender and seeing if he can still do a custom LED tower. The MD60 didn't throw nearly as far as the MN20/MN60 (M6/M4), and the tint was pretty bad.

I'm sure it's still a bulletproof drop in, but the color leaves a lot to be desired.

gotcha, thanks man! I hope the Malkoff crew potentially comes up with a solution to the bad tint and making the MD60 into a better thrower than the MN60. :/

I'll probably shoot them an email about this stuff.