Malkoff MDC HA SHO 1AA

Would you buy a Malkoff MDC HA SHO 1AA? If so how many?

• Nope, I'm more practical than tactical.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Nope, I'm down with AllTheLumens and prefer to EDC 1000 lumens for a tactical light

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Yeah, I'd love one.

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Yeah, I'll want a couple.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Hell yeah, I'll get at least a few!

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Yes, but the M31L variants perform quite well @ ~1.2v

Agreed. They still suffer from ICR's bad reputation.

I just want to know where I can actually buy a real IMR cell. They are all Hybirds these days. When using 2 or 3 cells in a tactical or any light, when one cell or two cells go bad you still have light. This happens to me weekly as when I am not using a 3 CR123A cell light under life or death situations, I use it until it goes dim, then pull the three cells check them and toss the bad one and put another used one back into the light with the other used ones. People say that is dangerous to mix voltages. Maybe so maybe not but I have done it for 20 years with no issues.

I have had lights go dead when dropped with 18650's with and without protection circuits.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... This happens to me weekly as when I am not using a 3 CR123A cell light under life or death situations, I use it until it goes dim, then pull the three cells check them and toss the bad one and put another used one back into the light with the other used ones. People say that is dangerous to mix voltages. Maybe so maybe not but I have done it for 20 years with no issues....

Yes, this is dangerous.

If you know and accept the risk, that is one thing, but it is important to highlight that as not everyone who browses here is an expert :caution:

I'll try to find a better link for explanation....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...and-account)&p=1447006&viewfull=1#post1447006

Last edited:
And for the folks who maintain that primaries are the only truly-reliable option for a 'tactical' light, I have found that recent-manufacture rechargeable cells - once tested for a few cycles - are far and away the most reliable fuel source.
I am thinking here of AA Eneloops, plus IMR cells with their minimal protection circuitry.

Are you claiming that they're more reliable than a Panasonic lithium primary? :eek:oo: If so a whopper like that requires some documentation! Not saying it's impossible but it runs counter to all my experience and I can't see any chemical/mechanical reason that it would be so.:huh:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proposed (and realistic I hope) MDC HA SHO 1AA Specifications:

150 lumens for 1.5 hours

Regulated output.

In my dreams! But not real when I wake up.
If Gene says it cant be done, who am I to disagree?;-)

Please show me a runtime chart of ANY single AA light that is Regulated and is still producing 150 lumens after 1 hour on an AA cell.

Im a visual learner.
Pretend Im from Missouri.. Show Me.

here is what I found: (NOT regulated, and certainly NOT 150 lumens at the 1 hour mark, the light starts at 70 lumens and drops from there.. this is not a dream)

pic hosted on my photo site, click pic to see original source review

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Yes, this is dangerous.

If you know and accept the risk, that is one thing, but it is important to highlight that as not everyone who browses here is an expert :caution:

I'll try to find a better link for explanation....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...and-account)&p=1447006&viewfull=1#post1447006

There are two things that stand out...

One, is the fact that every single person using any flashlight with 2 or more CR123A cells, is at some time during the use of that light going to be using mismatched cells every time. Meaning the voltage inside the CR123A cells inside the light, will not be the same. That is why your 2 or 3 cell light goes noticeably dim all of the sudden, but still functions. One or two cells just dropped drastically, while the other one, two or three cells keep a high voltage. Even if you keep using that flashlight (which should be technically dangerous) until it has zero light coming out the front, you have been using mismatched voltages the whole time.

The second is that this was posted 13 years ago and Battery Station admits to pushing out over a million cells a year. (Just one re-wrapper of many) And at that time, I am not sure who was even manufacturing them, but on the last page someone thought they could have not been made in the USA by Panasonic at that time. CR123A cells are safer than any Hybrid Li-ion chemistry that we currently use, I would also have to see proof otherwise. With Billions of these things littering Iraq and Afghanistan and police departments across America and people using cameras, and other devices they rarely go boom. We all have a higher chance getting killed traveling 3 miles in a car to the store to grab something to eat.

However, blow yourself up at your own risk. I wouldn't use a Pelican M6 as someone else in that post mentioned several others exploding as well.:eek::D

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

I don't think you've mentioned CT.

Cool 6200K, could also be offered with a Neutral 4000K.. same as the current MDC HA 1AA.

Cold XPG3 can give the desired brightness.

Agreed, I think the XP-G3 Cool would be the way to go as it is more efficient (30% off the top of my head, could be way off on this though).

Aren't M31's optimized to run off of 3v primaries so you wouldn't get anywhere near the runtime on a single AA?

I think the point is to a single output MDC that made to only consume AA's that would give the most lumen output at around a hourish of runtime.

Exactly. Any 1 AA light that can also run on a 3V or 14500 would not be optimized for best output and runtime from a standard AA (alkaline / NiMH / lithium).

GoVegan, during your conversations with Gene did he show any interest in developing this flashlight if there were an X number of people interested in acquiring the product?

When reading the beginning part of the topic I think there are some technical limitations (at least from Gene's point of view).

I would like an MDC SHO AA flashlight.

Acquiring cr123 batteries is certainly not as easy a task as the AA batteries we can find in the market, bakeries, pharmacies, etc.

I'm monitoring (not just reading) your topic. Noble friend, thank you for creating a discussion of this subject.

I only emailed him about it once a months ago, and got the reply about a single AA would not allow the current draw and voltage necessary for any reasonable runtime and output. So I think it is more of what he considers a reasonable output and runtime rather than any technical limitation (besides the diode requirement design) that has stopped him from releasing a light like this. We had no discussion about required numbers for any production, nor did I say that I'd try to gather what interest there is. However I did email him a link to this thread right after creating it, so he can jump in if wishes to do so.
And you're welcome.

Out of curiosity, how was the 150L output level chosen? Is it just a guess as to what output can be sustained by a AA battery for about an hour or has the FBI or someone released a study about the optimal brightness of tactical lights?

Correct, just what I believe should be technically possible from an AA alkaline, with Ni-MH cells being recommended for better performance. I'm not aware of any study about the optimal brightness of tactical lights (only normally, the brighter, the better), but if it lights up a target at the required distance then it works. On another forum (gun related if I recall, one cop used his 28(?) lumen Microstream to pass his qualifications after his main light crapped out on him. So it's whatever can get the job done.

That said, any light, in a given tactical situation where one would be helpful, is better than no light.

Reminds me of the Steve Fisher quote at the Surefire booth at SHOT Show 2018, "any light is better than no light at all" LOL... someone even mentioned it in the comments.
https://youtu.be/fXLqfaLugjk?t=174

Gene was right. I vote no.
1xAA is not efficient enough, 2xAA is a lot more promising and way more efficient.
1xAA is a dead end when it comes to high-performance lights.

But there are already very popular 1 AA lights out there, i.e. the Protac 1AA and it's replacement the Protac 1L-1AA, so I would hardly call it dead. I'd say the current 1 AA bright lights are thriving not just surviving.

There is no technical reason a driver couldn't have an allowable voltage of 1.2 to 4.2Vin - just a series of compromises in that it certainly wouldn't be optimized efficiently for running in the 1xAA range.

• 1xAA: ~150 lm
  • 1x14500: ~500 lm.
Certainly no dog in this fight, so please refrain from telling me it's a terrible idea lol.

If Gene could do this then it would be ideal, and would make this light very popular no doubt, I just think the performance on 1.2~1.5V AA would take a serious hit in runtime.
But 5.11 are doing this with the soon to be released (July?) Rapid PL 1AA which can be used with can be used with an alkaline AA battery or a lithium-ion rechargeable 14500:
202 lumens with the included AA battery or 330 lumens with the 14500 rechargeable battery
https://www.officer.com/tactical/fl...d-police-supplies-rapid-pl-1aa-edc-flashlight
That term reminds me of that dirtbag Michael Vick. But no offense taken. :)
I think a dual output light (high-first dual mode) isn't necessarily bad (in fact I would love a Surefire Backup AA with HIgh/Low, and it would probably be my perfect light), I just think a SHO is in line with what he has previously produced, is simpler to design, and also more importantly what the market needs at least IMHO.

Are you claiming that they're more reliable than a Panasonic lithium primary? :eek:oo: If so a whopper like that requires some documentation! Not saying it's impossible but it runs counter to all my experience and I can't see any chemical/mechanical reason that it would be so.:huh:

Amazon 1 star reviews will give you a really good example of bad batches of batteries:

For example here is one that I instantly found:

Panasonic CR123 CR123A 3V Lithium Battery (6 Pack)

"Bought 6 of these to use on 4 different WIFI Leak Detectors. Minutes after installing them I got a low battery alert from one of the detectors. I tested it on a voltmeter and got a 2.96 reading. 3 other batteries got similar readings. 2 batteries registered 3.25. Thus 2 of the 6 batteries appeared good."

There are so many reviews that say the whole box was bad, now admittedly you could reduce this risk by checking that the seller is Amazon and not a 3rd party, and some of the reviews may be down to bad devices (Trail cams etc), but still there is a risk of finding one or more bad cells or more in any box of new batteries. With Eneloops after a couple of charges you can be sure that the spare cells you are carrying in your EDC bag or BOB are good to go and reliable. Again not saying that NI-MH cells are more reliable that CR123 cells, but they are... just kidding, they can be, or at least offer some major advantages... depending on your point of view... kind of like when Luke was told that Darth Vader murdered his father. ;)

In my dreams! But not real when I wake up.
If Gene says it cant be done, who am I to disagree?;-)

Please show me a runtime chart of ANY single AA light that is Regulated and is still producing 150 lumens after 1 hour on an AA cell.

Im a visual learner.
Pretend Im from Missouri.. Show Me.

here is what I found: (NOT regulated, and certainly NOT 150 lumens at the 1 hour mark, the light starts at 70 lumens and drops from there.. this is not a dream)

Missouri... LOL!

Well firstly that chart as you pointed out is for a 70 lumen light (which I loved to hate, two I had both flickered and drove me insane), and that runtime chart is using an alkaline, so can be expected even though Streamlight does list these Protac lights as digitally regulated or at least "Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life". Also the Protac 1AA was released in around May 2013 (replacing the 50 lumen model from a couple of years earlier), the "C4" (LOL) emitter has imporived since then, and now of course provides 150 lumens for 1 hour 20 mins on an alkaline, yes there is a drop after the intial voltage drop from the fresh cell, but as can be seen, you get excellent performance from a lithium, and no doubt flat regulation from an NiMH cell too.
More relevant runtime of the new model: https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/fact-sheet/279.pdf

I'll try to stay out of the conversation from now, I don't want to spend too much time on this vaporware light, I just thought that this would be a popular EDC light that would fill a niche that no other light fills (certainly I'd EDC and recommend it) and wanted to get the conversation started and see if Gene considers it.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... One, is the fact that every single person using any flashlight with 2 or more CR123A cells, is at some time during the use of that light going to be using mismatched cells every time....

Yep, that is why I now stick with single-cell flashlights for the majority of my uses.

You realize of course that the mismatch is not so much the problem, as when it goes into reverse charge, right ?

All you are doing by trying to keep the cells as closely matched as possible is maximizing your safety envelope.

Same as with using high quality cells ... just trying to stack the odds in your favor.

Kinda like wearing your seat belt to drive 3 miles to the store, I guess ?

Rare events are rare. Severe events can be catastrophic. There are plenty of other threads on this, here and on other battery-related forums, for those who care to search. These include a variety of flashlight brands, and a variety of battery brands, by the way. But the bulk of these type of events are in multi-cell setups.

Sorry for the off topic (although it does get back to the idea of this as a single-cell light, which I prefer)

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened

If anyone is still not convinced of the practical usefulness of AA "tactical" lights aimed at professionals, these two again don't break any lumen records but get the job done:

First-Light TORQ LE
2 AA
155 lumens, 10h
https://firstlight-usa.com/product/torq-le-kit/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nD083o5OI

First Tactical Small Duty Light
1 AA
161 lumens, 4h
https://www.firsttactical.com/products/small-duty-light

Pelican 2350 Tactical Flashlight
1 AA
178 lumens, 2h 15mins
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/flashlights/tactical-flashlight/2350

BTW Just a quick update, the big kahuna did get back to me to say that he's curious to see the response.

So on the bright side (pun intended) at least it's not a hard no. :)

So if you want to see this come to light (yep again intended) speak now or forever hold your peace.

Last edited:

Amazon 1 star reviews will give you a really good example of bad batches of batteries:

For example here is one that I instantly found:

Panasonic CR123 CR123A 3V Lithium Battery (6 Pack)

"Bought 6 of these to use on 4 different WIFI Leak Detectors. Minutes after installing them I got a low battery alert from one of the detectors. I tested it on a voltmeter and got a 2.96 reading. 3 other batteries got similar readings. 2 batteries registered 3.25. Thus 2 of the 6 batteries appeared good."

There are so many reviews that say the whole box was bad, now admittedly you could reduce this risk by checking that the seller is Amazon and not a 3rd party, and some of the reviews may be down to bad devices (Trail cams etc), but still there is a risk of finding one or more bad cells or more in any box of new batteries. With Eneloops after a couple of charges you can be sure that the spare cells you are carrying in your EDC bag or BOB are good to go and reliable. Again not saying that NI-MH cells are more reliable that CR123 cells, but they are... just kidding, they can be, or at least offer some major advantages... depending on your point of view... kind of like when Luke was told that Darth Vader murdered his father. ;)

Okay, let's pretend for the sake of argument that anonymous Amazon reviews constitute actual evidence!:rolleyes::p The snippet/anecdote doesn't mention if the seller was Amazon or someone else so we have no idea if they sat in a shoebox for ten years before the sale or of course if they were even genuine Panasonic batteries. Even if all of that is true, having 3 v batteries that measure 2.96 is not going to prevent a flashlight from working so I don't see how that can be a knock against reliability. Furthermore, the OP stated that a well-vetted battery that had recharges a couple times tested was the standard for the rechargeable, so I'd say it's fair to give the same benefit to the Panasonic battery, right?

So again, will a rechargeable battery that has been tested be more reliable than a Panasonic CR123a that has been tested?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I can't see why I would choose a 1AA light over the Bodyguard for a "tactical" light. The Bodyguard already offers guilt free lumens with the 16340 and offers great performance. I guess AA alkaline are cheap and all over, but I hardly even use CR123s because all my Malkoffs run on rechargeable batteries. I have more than enough CR123 backups lying around not being used already. I really like my MDC HA 1AA too. What I really like about it though is the 3 output choices.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

More relevant runtime of the new model

thanks for the runtime link, I added the 100 lumen marker to the scale
k02VYEcl.png

looks like the Streamlight realistically does about 1 hour flat regulated runtime @ about 90 lumens, on AA Alkaline

and about 4 hours flat regulated runtime @ about 100 lumens on AA Lithium Primary. I agree Lithium Primaries are an excellent power source.

Also agree any light is better than no light, so I dont want to get too caught up on runtime specs. It may not matter whether AA can maintain 150 lumens, or actually 90 lumens, on Alkaline. And it may not matter if the regulated time is actually 1 hour instead of 1 hour and 20 minutes.

If the Streamlight is not your cup of team, maybe Malkoff will build you an AA SHO. Good job making a case for SHO being relevant in a tactical application. I think we all agree that single mode is the way to go when using a light to support a weapon.

GoVegan

Enlightened
So again, will a rechargeable battery that has been tested be more reliable than a Panasonic CR123a that has been tested?

All I'll say is that I value the highest reliability in my lights, especially for EDC, and for this reason I primarily carry a HDS with a primary CR123 cell, and carry at least 2 spare primaries.
But carrying a light, with an Eneloop and two spare tested Eneloops would give be a much warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that I know they are good and tested.

I can't see why I would choose a 1AA light over the Bodyguard for a "tactical" light. The Bodyguard already offers guilt free lumens with the 16340 and offers great performance. I guess AA alkaline are cheap and all over, but I hardly even use CR123s because all my Malkoffs run on rechargeable batteries. I have more than enough CR123 backups lying around not being used already. I really like my MDC HA 1AA too. What I really like about it though is the 3 output choices.

One thing to keep in mind about 16340 and 14500 cells is they they have very short runtimes, normally about 1/2 that of primaries, the AA rechargeable format usually has much longer runtimes with the lithium AA giving extreme runtimes. A good way to compare is with like for like models of lights like the Protac series. Personally even as a flashaholic I don't use either 16340 or 14500 cells, they are generally not used by normal muggles either, in fact the general advice is "[FONT=&quot]-Please be familiar with handling lithium-ion batteries before purchase.[/FONT]", plus they can't be shipped internationally. Basically 16340 cells are for a small niche market for some flashlights. The day Panasonic release some reliable US/Japan made 16340 cells is the day I'll take them more seriously. Until then NiMH cells not only offer longer runtimes but are also extremely reliable, safe and economical, probably why they are a standard item in most households these days.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Yep, that is why I now stick with single-cell flashlights for the majority of my uses.

You realize of course that the mismatch is not so much the problem, as when it goes into reverse charge, right ?

All you are doing by trying to keep the cells as closely matched as possible is maximizing your safety envelope.

Same as with using high quality cells ... just trying to stack the odds in your favor.

Kinda like wearing your seat belt to drive 3 miles to the store, I guess ?

Rare events are rare. Severe events can be catastrophic. There are plenty of other threads on this, here and on other battery-related forums, for those who care to search. These include a variety of flashlight brands, and a variety of battery brands, by the way. But the bulk of these type of events are in multi-cell setups.

Sorry for the off topic (although it does get back to the idea of this as a single-cell light, which I prefer)

Yes, I understand these things. Everyone has their own safety level for things they are willing to take.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I value the highest reliability in my lights, especially for EDC, and for this reason I primarily carry a HDS with a primary CR123 cell, and carry at least 2 spare primaries.

I agree CR123 primaries last longer than 16340 LiIon
I use 18350 with double the capacity of 16340

glad you found a light and power source that meet your needs

I prefer LiIon for my EDC, but it sounds like your EDC and my EDC have different needs and priorities. Your EDC needs seem to be weapon and tactical duty related. Im an unarmed civilian. I dont like any kind of primaries at all, and I hate the smell of CR123. From where I sit, your needs are a small niche, and my needs are a different niche.

choices are good, we dont all have the same needs and use scenarios. I think youre doing a good job defining your priorities, and hope you continue to enjoy your choices.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Boy this thread is getting messed up😁 I'm pretty sure all here agree that a single cell AA is not a good choice for a sho light. You just don't have the capacity. I mean I'm sure you could design a driver so you get 500 lumens for 10 minutes or so but what the point when other lights out there with just a little bit bigger size can do it much more better. Ya I said much more better 😂😂😂

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally voted after following all the talk in this thread not because I want a "tactical" AA MDC, but rather because I want an AA MDC that comes on in HIGH mode first. I would have purchased an MDC long ago were it not for the useless for me mode order. Outside of a AAA single cell mini light, I have zero use for a light that comes on at .3 lumens; Such a first level is wasted on me.

I voted that I'd purchase one, though I'd rather have an MDC HA TAC 1AA if I'm honest.

I agree that SHO is probably not the killer app for a single AA, but if Gene built a single output AA I'd buy it as long as the output was 100 lumens or better. I'd rather have 100 lumens @ 4k than 150 lumens @ 6500 k. JMOHO.

Latest posts