Malkoff MDX series retaining / hi-lo ring torque question

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
How much torque is too much when using Malkoff's tool and a screwdriver shaft to tighten the hi/low ring? I might have overdone it today (put in a little shoulder) and started thinking about how those ring threads are made of soft brass.

Anyone ever break one?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't tighten them very tight primarily because I don't have the right tool to do so. I use a pair of needle nose pliers and I inevitably end up slipping and scoring the ring. I can tell you that when I receive them from the "factory", they are TIGHT! I always struggle to loosen them up.

As much as you might worry about the brass threads though, shouldn't you be just as worried about the aluminum threads in the head? I would think they would be at least as soft.

In any case, does it look/feel stripped? If not, I can't imagine you've damaged it. Seems like it would take quite a lever to over tighten threads of that diameter to the point of damage.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine come loose a couple times initially because I was afraid I would over tighten it, so the last time I really cranked it down tight.Has been good ever since. I used a pair of snap ring pliers, they work much better than needle nose pliers. My md2HOT is carried and used usually 5 out of 7 days a week

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I don't tighten them very tight primarily because I don't have the right tool to do so. I use a pair of needle nose pliers and I inevitably end up slipping and scoring the ring. I can tell you that when I receive them from the "factory", they are TIGHT! I always struggle to loosen them up.

As much as you might worry about the brass threads though, shouldn't you be just as worried about the aluminum threads in the head? I would think they would be at least as soft.

In any case, does it look/feel stripped? If not, I can't imagine you've damaged it. Seems like it would take quite a lever to over tighten threads of that diameter to the point of damage.

Normally my hand slips holding the small MD2 (M61 size) head, which controls how much torque I am able to put down. But this time I had the new Hound Dog Super head (much bigger), and realized too late that I can really grip that sucker. Hope I didn't ruin it.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I'm constantly changing drop-ins for my MD2, depending on what i'll use it for. I only use long nose pliers and never over tighten the hi/lo ring (just snug). I also don't over tighten the head when changing modes, and never had any problems w/ the ring coming loose. I do keep my threads and o-rings well greased though.