Malkoff Picture Thread

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I put the malkoff combat grip ring on the md3, which works perfectly with the tricap in a rogers grip. The lanyard gives additional retention options as well, good for shooting/reloading, or if you just don't want to drop the light down a manhole. The md3 really can do just about everything.

2BDE8C1A-F313-422C-BC3D-AACED98E6D38.jpeg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new style bodies solve the issue with grip slipping on the older bodies but at the expense of smooth pocketing. Too soon to say if pockets will suffer. Leaving the area under the clip without texture would solve. I'm really digging the new anodized clip, eliminates the sharp edges I didn't even know were there until I got the anodized clip on a 2AA body. Also worth mentioning, the McClicky in the new body is hard press (or perhaps medium press, my first experience with them). In my older bodies, they're soft press. Travel is pretty much identical.

mWRWfkS_d.webp

BLAJOyC_d.webp

Last edited:

QMT93

Enlightened
pxl_20221209_191548466-jpg.jpg
Malkoff E2XTL + Weltool BB3 body-TC59 tail cap in FDE combo

This one is even better.
pxl_20221220_214908564-jpg.jpg
Malkoff E2XTL + Weltool BB3 body in FDE + Darksucks Ti clip + Malkoff MDX Tricap

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a neutral and a cool white that come on at 3.0 lumens. The 0.3 is great for a completely dark movie theater but is really to low if there is any ambient light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
6C9A6DA6-9263-48FF-A0B6-C9D262CC0153.jpeg

For those who find the new style body buttons a bit hard to press adding a #14 plumber o'ring really helps. I got the idea from gurdygurds who had done it on an older style (more slippery) version. Without it I used to use my index finger tip but after adding it that little extra leverage makes using the thumb a lot easier. It was like adding power steering to the on switch.

And for those that struggle sliding the clip over a pocket entry area with one hand, since the clip is so stiff, if you take a pair of needle nose pliers and insert them near the mounting screws, use a twist action to bend the clip about 2 degrees that sloves that issue. If all you wear are thin or dress pants 1 degree should work. But to go over the entry point of jeans, cargos and the like about 2 degees adds just enough gap between the clip and the body to allow one handed slide in without having to hold your pants up with the other hand. Much more pocket opening friendly too, yet still stays fastened well.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The external O-ring is really helpful on some lights. The earliest use of them that I recall is on the McGizmo McLux lights. I currently have them on an old style Malkoff 1xAA body and on a Surefire L1 in place of the lanyard ring.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who find the new style body buttons a bit hard to press
My speculation has wandered to the fence, from it being a different McClicky to it being the same, just that the spring in the switches in my previous generation bodies have relaxed from lots of use over time. I can't say for certain, but it seems possible if not reasonable. Although, I do specifically remember my first impression of the switch when I first received those previous gen bodies years ago, that the switches were very easy press, because at the time I never experienced a McClicky, but only what's in Surefire z61. But I'm also pretty sure around that time I was told that medium or harder press McClickies existed, though in all this time I've never seen bare McClickies for sale with any such press designation of easy, medium, or hard.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could elucidate and enlighten me, if McClickies of different press pressures exist, why they aren't advertised as such.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that McClicky switches are all the same and that it is the boot that determines soft, medium or hard press operation.
That's interesting, if not... inscrutable. Maybe this is the wrong place and McClicky pressure deserves its own thread, but I don't immediately understand how.

My initial assumptions may be wrong, but I always figured what made a switch easy or hard to press had to do with the stiffness of the spring, and I'm not sure how the boot could make any difference. What I thought Oveready was selling was softer or harder boot material for a different feel with different give, but I don't quite see how that could change the pressure of a switch.

But if you say so, I can't really object because, honestly, I don't understand.

You can make your soft boot y harder by adding an oring to the end of it. That's all Oveready does as well.

Thanks, but I would expect that would merely change the amount of travel needed, not switch pressure. But, again, I'm a little out of my depth here, not having seen the insides of any switch except in diagram.