Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
Spyderco, sorry I went on and on there... I realize now that you were asking a specific question about the h/l ring and not needing a full explanation.

No, the full explanation was great, thank you.

I was especially intrigued that a 'higher low' might be more efficient. So perhaps a 20 lumen 'low' w/ 18650 vs the current 5lm may still have a very good runtime.

Is there any indication of whether 'low' of any level is regulated in the same way that the 'high' is? Or does the use of the resistor in low prevent it from having a regulated output?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any indication of whether 'low' of any level is regulated in the same way that the 'high' is? Or does the use of the resistor in low prevent it from having a regulated output?

The indicator of regulated output is a constant output level. Low is regulated in the Malkoffs as far as I know, at least for some period of time until the voltage drops below regulation level.

I don't believe lowering the resistance will have a dramatic effect on the efficiency, and not likely worth doing for that reason. I would only change the resistor if I preferred a higher low.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I asked gene once about coming out with different rings so we could have a lower low. He said problem was for everyone that called and wanted a lower low someone would call and want a higher low. Can't please everyone 😂😂

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that would be a nightmare for Gene.

I always run an MD2 on 18650, and when I bought my first MD2/M61 I thought low was too low and I wished I could have a medium level. After a few nights of use, I realized it was perfect for my uses indoors and for navigating outdoors, and yet it's still low enough that it isn't shockingly bright for dark-adjusted eyes even in the house. The M61 with hi/lo ring made me realize I really didn't need more than two levels at night, and today it sees about 80% of my flashlight usage. During the day, I prefer to carry a light that has a low or medium level of around 40-60 lumens to be more functional in ambient light.

Last edited:

edot

Newly Enlightened
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - Ongoing Adventure

Thanks so much for all of this information - extremely useful! Question on your M61HOT graphs - are those with the most recent update to the M61HOT driver? On Gene's site, it shows an output of around 750 in the specs (whereas your graphs show ~600). I see in an earlier post in this thread that you said you have older versions of most of the drivers. Thanks!

thermal guy

Flashaholic

With all the LLLL on the way and everyone courageous about how long these dam things will go. I plan on doing some test of my own. INFRNL Are current expert on this subject is I'm sure going to do test but not sure if he will be doing every test we are looking for. So thinking it's a good idea to start asking what we want. See how nice he will be for us.

I was love to see the results of 2XAA energizer lithium test.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, been busy with life,... So I haven't been on. I'm sure i have missed quite a bit.

As far as modified h/l rings go... I know of only one member that is willing to customize these for those not comfortable doing it themselves;)
I can get these from Gene without the resistors and make them as desired.

Yes, if you want the LLLL tested, you better get your 🦆 s in a row as these will be very long tests.

I don't have any but dotcpf has already contacted me. If it were me, I'd choose the 4000k. I wasn't interested in 3000k, many might prefer 5000k, so you will need to figure out what you want.

I still have a bunch of data i need to put together too. I don't even recall what I was last testing, but I will eventually get it posted.

Hope everyone is doing well. This will be a difficult yr for many

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it's buried somewhere in there, and I am pretty sure I've seen in the last few years (before the Malkoff sub-forum)

but pray tell, what is the runtime of M61LLL in the MD2 config with 18650 3500mAh on **low**?

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I listed that in the other thread that you inquired in. Didn't see this till to late.

WebHobbit

Enlightened

It's possible I missed it but are the latest M61 and M61N graphed in here someplace? I see 400/425 lumen listed but not the current listing from the store which is 450 for the M61cool...not sure what it is for the Neutral. Probably 425?

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Ya there in there towards the end.

Edit:: post 333 to start

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Oh,, that might be the 425? Can't be much different though

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tested runtime of M61 (whatever generation) on 2xAA and also on 3xAA?

I realize it would be super dim, just wondering. Have a MD3 that takes 2xAA, with high-low ring, it seems that on low, it hits about 1 lumen. Would like to confirm that and also get the idea of runtime.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not necrobumping too much here I don't believe. First off, amazing amount of work and detail. Thank you. A question for others more knowledgable of malkoff lights than me? What's with the spike in lumens on the m61(and variants) on a single lithium ion cell just before it drops out of regulation? Any other cell setup and at the end of regulation, output gradually drops, or protection circuit kicks in on multi protected setups. But with a single rechargeable, there's a spike in output before the gradual decline