Malkoff shootout!! Wild Cat XPG vs. Hound Dog XPG vs. Hound Dog XML!!!

KJ4GR

Newly Enlightened
Is the XPG Wildcat in the photos the v.3 that is being talked about in other threads? If not, I wonder if anyone has shots or a video comparison of the v.3 Wildcat vs the Hound dog XML.

What is the difference between the v.2 and v.3?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
V3 didn't exist when I took these shots. ;)

The difference is the v2 uses metal reflectors, while v3 (and v1) use polycarbonate optics. V3 is a lil brighter according to specs too.

redheddedstranger

Newly Enlightened
cool stuff. where can one take a gander at these Malkoffs? i would like to look at them with possible intent to purchase.

jellydonut

Enlightened
cool stuff. where can one take a gander at these Malkoffs? i would like to look at them with possible intent to purchase.

Where are you located? There are a few dealers for Malkoff devices, but very few stocking dealers. It's a small family-owned business, not like Surefire, Fenix or the others, so it's not as easy to find them in stores.

redheddedstranger

Newly Enlightened
Where are you located? There are a few dealers for Malkoff devices, but very few stocking dealers. It's a small family-owned business, not like Surefire, Fenix or the others, so it's not as easy to find them in stores.

i am sure they have a website and i am located in North Carolina

96transam

Newly Enlightened
wow, I would love a wildcat, but knowing me if i get one I'll end up needing to buy the hound dog xl also

Fender

Newly Enlightened
I have a warm version V3 Wildcat on the way. I'm interested to see how it compares to my cool V2.

Fender

Newly Enlightened
I added some quick beamshots in the Malkoff Junkie thread a week or two ago!

Lord Bear

Enlightened
If I am primarily interested in throw is the XML worth it, or does it just add flood to the HD beam? Thanks.

:) imho the XML doesn't "just"...add flood to HD beam. It ADDS flood to the throw. It really opens up the tunnel vision to a startling degree. It's the same effect as your first M61 Malkoff dropin but for a thrower.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Very nice shots!

I humbly request the addition of the Wildcat v4... :whistle: I'm trying to determine how useful it is in urban environments, and a good idea of its throw might help with my assessment. :)

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Very nice shots!

I humbly request the addition of the Wildcat v4... :whistle: I'm trying to determine how useful it is in urban environments, and a good idea of its throw might help with my assessment. :)

I live in a city, and my V4 will light up both sides of the street about three or four houses down... it is almost too bright to fire up, because I feel like I would be bothering people.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wildcat V4 has about 17k lux in its floody beam.
The XPG Hound Dog had about 20k lux.
So, the V4 Wildcat has almost the throw of the XPG Hound Dog, except with a nice big flood beam.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
While true about the similarity in lux, I notice that there's no much reflection from all the flood with the Wild Cat that it's harder to see things at a distance. It's like my pupils are being overwhelmed and shrinking to minimize the incoming light. If you're primarily looking to illuminate things at a distance, and still have some usable spill, go for the HD. If you want it to look like daylight for 20 or 30 yards in every direction, go for the Wild Cat.

The Wildcat V4 has about 17k lux in its floody beam.
The XPG Hound Dog had about 20k lux.
So, the V4 Wildcat has almost the throw of the XPG Hound Dog, except with a nice big flood beam.