Manufacturing defect on new MDC Bodies?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Manufacturering defect on new MDC Bodies?

that's a bummer.

I tried that new style donut body on my older heads and it worked without issue. I will have to say; that new style has some grip. Might not be the most pleasing to the eye but it's definitely functional.
Yeah, I love the new stacked doughnut style, great grip. I just wish Gene would make a 16650 version of it(without this manufacturering issue). I asked about it about a year ago, nothing yet...

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would do the doughnut version in 16650. I'm surprised he only has the newer style on just a couple forms. I don't know what his sales look like but having both styles in all sizes would be nice

I hope he could take more time on change design on body style. New design on MDC is totally different than other lines. Flashlight needs balance of functionality and mechanical beauty. My personal view on new design is lacking both.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

He could go with the standard crosshatch knurling:poke::crackup:

I like the smoother style in that it makes it more like a gentlemans light. Kind of like knives.

If you could design the body, how do you picture it? It's got to be hard coming up with an idea that is unique and also please the majority.

How about this. With less aggressive knurling than MD2, it keeps the simplicity of design and keep grips intact. That simple and modern design in Malkoff lights is the key to distinguish the difference from others. There are so many light us ugly chrome trim, aux lights, crossing streaming lines, and rainbow colors. Terrible design.
AFoGKEN
https://imgur.com/AFoGKEN
AFoGKEN

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

That could possibly work, nice shot.
K, go run it by Gene and let us know how it goes;)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update for everyone on this issue...

I corrected my 2 bodies with Oveready 19mm Beryllium Copper Spring Washers. They work perfectly and the lights are perfectly reliable once again. This is what I recommend for anyone with a problem body.

I contacted Gene to let him know about the issue. The chamfer will no longer be anodized going forward so, this should no longer be an problem. Great, friendly customer service as usual from Malkoff[emoji106].

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's weird to speak to an owner of a company that actually cares about his customers and products.Thats GENE. 😁

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, it's refreshing and a throw back to better times. It's also a big part of the reason why at least 50% of my lights are Malkoff now. Gotta love Malkoff[emoji106].

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So now the top of the body tube contacts the brass washer making contact? Is that right?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now the top of the body tube contacts the brass washer making contact? Is that right?
Yes, that is correct. The brass washer jumps negative contact between the bottom of the dropin and the unanodized flat at the top of the bodies threads. Gene will be leaving the inner chamfer bare now as well so the washer will not be required going forward.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clever solution.
Thanks[emoji106]. I took a risk as I had no idea if they would work or not and it cost me $40US to get them here(3 of them). Luckily, they work perfectly and allow me to use the bodies without modification. Originally I was a bit upset and didn't want fix the issue myself out of principle but, decided I didn't want to cause Gene any hassle and I really love these new stacked doughnut models. I have one in my left pocket right now in fact.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
International shipping would have been an issue either way. I think you did well. Always good to have spare parts in the bin, even if you don't need all three right now.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
International shipping would have been an issue either way. I think you did well. Always good to have spare parts in the bin, even if you don't need all three right now.
Yeah, it's a bit more then just inside the US. Not too bad though luckily. I am happy with how it worked out for sure.

10-4 on the spares. I actually only needed 2 as I only have two of the new bodies with the anodized cell compartment. But, I ordered a third for the E-Parts bin just in case(which has started to get too full hense the WTS package lol).