MarketPlace Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently working on the database issues at the MarketPlace. I am trying not to have it down for too long. If there are any significant issues that may cause an unusual amount of down-time, I will post them here.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Thursday, 7/15/10 SitRep:

I did a backup of the database yesterday morning... actually, I did 3. I took everything down and did some maintenance and then tried to upgrade the software to the most current version. NOT the still unstable 4.whatever version. That is a whole different animal and I'm still not comfortable with its lack of stability. Anyway... for whatever reason, the upgrade was an epic :fail:. So I went back and restored everything from the backups that I made. That's when the problems began. The server kept timing out and crashing when I tried to restore the database. I tried several different things to attempt to get it to run completely. No go.

So I called GoDaddy this morning. And the tech was very nice... and so was I... (DM51 - :nana: ). The tech gave me some insight into a couple of things I can try. So... I'm going to try them. Warning upfront!... these processes may be very server intensive and time consuming! I have shut down the other sites (the Underground and CPFGreen) on that server (CPF is NOT on that server!) so as to reduce the load.

So that's all I got right now. I'll keep you all posted... and I'll be working on my Criminal Justice paper... :candle: (please feel free to contribute to the discussions we've been having in this thread regarding my homework topics. VERY interesting!)

Last edited:

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Still working on stuff and taking this opportunity to update and fix other things that have needed attending to.

Beacon of Light

Any ETA on the Marketplace being up and running? Just curious as I need my fix today! Not much going on at CPF Proper today so I need Marketplace to spend $$$

ninemm

Any ETA on the Marketplace being up and running? Just curious as I need my fix today! Not much going on at CPF Proper today so I need Marketplace to spend $$$

I totally agree. What am I to do while at work??

Thanks Greta for all your hard work! I know you've got a busy schedule. We really appreciate it!

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
No ETA. Just going through everything and running maintenance scripts, etc. Unfortunately, it's a lot of waiting on my end for these things to run themselves. So I'm getting my Sociology papers done also... :crazy:

AnAppleSnail

No ETA. Just going through everything and running maintenance scripts, etc. Unfortunately, it's a lot of waiting on my end for these things to run themselves. So I'm getting my Sociology papers done also... :crazy:

Good luck on the papers. If I had money to toss around I'd kick in a donation or something so you could hit a coffee place to keep plugging away.

csshih

oh no! .htaccess needs changing now! :crazy:

edit: haha, or not. the entire page is offline.

Last edited:

jgang

Just curious as I need my fix today! Not much going on at CPF Proper today so I need Marketplace to spend $$$

LOL! I was thinking the same thing about 2pm. Reality check: I probably spend too much time here looking for deals I don't really need.....but it's so much fun!

Thanks for your efforts Greta and take your time....you're saving me money!

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know exactly what the issue is but I can't seem to get stability with the server itself. I'm working on it.

Meanwhile... anyone wanna help me out with an example of a social institution in American society and its function?

AnAppleSnail

Don't know exactly what the issue is but I can't seem to get stability with the server itself. I'm working on it.

Meanwhile... anyone wanna help me out with an example of a social institution in American society and its function?

Some famous flashlight forum - community stability, friendly advice, and a place where common interests meet.

! But seriously,

Churches - community, like an extended family in some cases, and least of all a spiritual community.

ninemm

School is a social institution. It's function is to instill important societal values in children. Values such as getting good grades, working hard, behaving/following rules etc.

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
School is a social institution. It's function is to instill important societal values in children. Values such as getting good grades, working hard, behaving/following rules etc.
Is CPF a social institution?

LG&M

Candlepowerforums is a social institution. It's function is keeping the world in light.:laughing:

Colorblinded

Funny, I was going to answer with a "yes" but then changed my mind. What the hell is a "social institution?" It's one of those jargon terms which means a specific thing to a group of people who spend time overanalyzing things but to everyone else it's just two words which might loosely imply something.

In a loose sense I'd say CPF or any other large forum counts, but I suppose it would depend on how you want to define social institution or defend your assertion that forums like CPF are social institutions. I referred to this as a brief overview of what a social institution is supposed to be for myself http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/social-institutions/

I would definitely think of a university as a social institution, as would be churches and other organizations like that.

ninemm

I think it could be considered one.

I took this excerpt from Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosphy's web entry on Social Institutions: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/social-institutions/
"Aside from the formal and usually explicitly stated, or defined, tasks and rules, there is an important implicit and informal dimension of an institution roughly describable as institutional culture. This notion comprises the informal attitudes, values, norms, and the ethos or “spirit” which pervades an institution. Culture in this sense determines much of the activity of the members of that institution, or at least the manner in which that activity is undertaken."

We definitely have our own culture, set of rules, hierarchy, etc here at CPF.

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Ok... I'm going to go with the mass media as a social institution for my paper. I have some particular ideas that I'd like to use for how advertising in particular meets the basic needs of society and supports societal values.

Colorblinded and ninemm... I agree that CPF could probably be considered a social institution based on the definition that it "meets the basic needs of society and supports societal values." Interesting theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.