Photo Credit -

Jason Hui

No Hardhat?
Steel toe boots?
Elbow and knee pads?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Kharma is such a strange beast.

Yesterday Mrs Fixer made sure everybody working in her store had a nice, washable mask.
Today corparate deemed her non-essential.

Now I say strange beast because corparate had passed out a bunch of cheesy masks about as effective as panty hose.
Yup bare no expense for your staff, right? So had they deemed her non essential just two days ago the entire staff would be facing dozens of strangers on a daily basis in one of the largest outbreak areas in our state. Such is the irony.
What's that saying? "No good deed goes unpunished"?

We'll be ok, she's just bummed to be stuck at home for the next while. I suppose I'll come home from work to croche'd slippers, doggy jackets, table cloths, curtains, and who knows what.

Last evening I remembered a 77 year old dude at my work and asked Mrs. Fixer if she could make just one more mask. He's a really awesome dude and it weighed upon my heart we had not made one for him.

3683-A192-4-A39-4867-B02-E-48-C2597224-F1.jpg

She made this one for him.
He stands about 6.5' tall and at 77 could beat three of us pups in basketball by himself. The look on his face was as if it were made out of solid gold. His eyes watered briefly until he contained himself. It made my year.
That was really nice of you and the Mrs. :thumbsup:

I'm wondering where is she getting such a neat variety of flannel?

Hmmm, have all of your flannel PJ's suddenly turned into shorts?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
She made quilts for her boys when they were real young. Her 22 and 23 year old boys that is.

The mask thing started out as swatches of doggy pattern and kitty patterns of hearts and bows for some ladies she works with. But then found a cache of plaid flannel in her stockpile of fabric. Then there were a few square feet of John Deere tractor print fabric left.

The hardest part was finding the elastic. It's a new phenomenon accross vuh-jin-yuh to diy masks so toilet paper is easier to find than elastic lately

Back in the day, I'd meet fellow gym-rats five days a week and that was after a full day's work. But when the Lovely Mrs Gardiner would take me in to the fabric store I could feel my will to live draining into the floor. All I wanted to do was lie down and sleep...... probably would've never woken up. :sleepy:

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Got to wear safety glasses now..............
QNpuBAcl.jpg

I am smiling under the mask.........honest:nana:

dl7iSC4l.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
About 6 months ago the SO had some testing done and the clinic told her in alarming tones that she had latent TB (something that was known, and they were informed of prior) and they gave me a surgical mask advising me in solemn tones I should wear it in her presence at all times. I wore it out of the clinic to save time explaining to them that after years of living together it hadn't been an issue. I deposited it in the center console after the novelty wore off then eventually disposed of it as recently as 3 months ago.

I've got some low-grade 3M dust masks around - one of them even that gold star of quality N95 - but they've been in the garage for years and their thin rubber straps will surely fail if stretched.

Looks like I'm going to be wearing a 3M half-face respirator around in public with long-expired generic vapor cartridges for some time unless the supply situation changes and I can source a more suitable soft/reusable mask that can accept some sort of filter insert and has exhalation valves since fogging one's glasses is for chumps.

scout24

Flashaholic
The fogging glasses issue is absolutely no joke, if anyone has a solution for that, you'd probably make a lot of people happy....

ven

Flashaholic
The fogging glasses issue is absolutely no joke, if anyone has a solution for that, you'd probably make a lot of people happy....

If the mask is closed around nose, a tad higher up. Rest safety glasses on mask(slightly at base) this helps prevent fogging. But yes its a pain, so much so after i told work these are useless. They then told us not to wear glasses on safety grounds. New ones are on order, maybe they will be goggles........I had suggested a face guard(like Jason is wearing). I do believe they are far better and offer more protection all round. Might not be easy to fit with a hard hat though. Also with the face shields, easy to re-use by a simply wash/disinfect. It helps stop people touching their face 100's of times a day moving, fidgeting with glasses, masks! IMHO they cause more issues than not, i have never touched my face more when wearing a flimsy next to useless mask we have been given.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife was flipping through the news channels this morning and a poor girl on CNN had a paper type mask on that wasn't even covering her nose and flipping around everywhere.

ven

Flashaholic
My wife was flipping through the news channels this morning and a poor girl on CNN had a paper type mask on that wasn't even covering her nose and flipping around everywhere.

Its a tough one, even with the right PPE, not knowing how to use/wear makes it useless. Even health carers dont get it right, after all we are only human. In fact front line workers are still not getting adequate PPE here . Very frustrating, we have 56 health workers now passed away due to covid19. Giving their lives to help others. This will be all over the world and not just UK.

Very sad times.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a tough one, even with the right PPE, not knowing how to use/wear makes it useless. Even health carers dont get it right, after all we are only human. In fact front line workers are still not getting adequate PPE here . Very frustrating, we have 56 health workers now passed away due to covid19. Giving their lives to help others. This will be all over the world and not just UK.

Very sad times.

It really is. Shame somebody didn't help that poor girl out too. We had a little fabric shop in the next town over making masks for people with a pocket to hold a filter. They put a thick cotton filter in sort of like you would use in the backing of a shadow box or similar display. They work well (functional/wearability wise) and were cheap. No way to put them on wrong either. My wife ordered a bunch of them off of Facebook to give out to people just so they'd have something. What kills me is people throwing blame around like this could have been prevented. There is NO way to stop this thing and it's just unfortunate. Help your neighbors if you can folks.

ven

Flashaholic
Agree bigburly, it would have helped if China would have been more honest and contained it late last year. Instead of playing it down, which the WHO no doubt played their part to. Its too late now as its everywhere, or if its not yet, it will be. There is no escaping it, it may take a while . The worrying thing is so far, there is no evidence about immunity. So if you get it, recover, you could catch it again!

Its awesome what your wife is doing, also mr fixer and mrs fixer. Every little helps and shows how awesome humans can be! Until there is a vaccine (already producing before fully testing to save time down the line), we have to work together, help each other where we can. If everyone just did a small thing, it ends up being a huge dfference.

Stay safe bb

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I researched and found a few I like. We're going to try a few with some minor modifications; I want a removable nose pinch wire, and a pocket type so we can add extra filter material.
I read recently that reusable grocery bags that aren't the shiny kind are made of the same material as the n95 masks, a different thickness, but same weave; those, I have in abundance.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer made a couple of slight mods too Jabe. More about custom size of fit and length of elastic. Yours sound more practical. It is a mask afterall. Well done. Please share your recipe when done.

Right now in central Va USA everybody is dealing with allergies. I watched over paving a roadway for 2 days and saw lots of masks. Most had then around their neck though. The way it worked was if/when one started to feel symptomatic of a respiratory illness they wore their face covering for that day. Go home, wake up next day feeling ok then go back to work with a mask. A few were like me, where they had stopped taking claratin recently because their vehicles windshields were not coated yellow each morning. Welp there is something in the air that still has had a few of us sneezing and wheezing so out of courtesy the mask gets deployed at times.

It's easy to stay 6 feet apart when you work out doors but the bosses want us to wear masks when life puts us within 6 feet of each other. Some comply, some don't. But it is interesting to see what folks choose to cover their face with during the pandemic. Favorite sports team, leopard prints, generic cloths etc. I'm starting to see more and more surgical masks. Once the numbers in the US began to show things seemingly were not overwhelming medical facilities I felt a little calmer about wearing a surgical mask since I did not want to be a reason a medical worker does not have one. Right now I still feel that way, but soon I'll pursue some just because they're so convenient.

For now a home made mask will do or a bandanna.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far my wife and I haven't had to wear masks when on our daily walks as we pick empty areas and change sides of the street if we encounter anyone. Of course, on trips to get supplies we wear masks. But our weather forecast is for temps in the 80-90s next week and that won't make for pleasant walking. I guess we'll be walking after dinner. Time to charge up the flashlight batteries...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Grabbed some cr_ppy KN95 masks since the masks in public mandates are surely coming:

PMvYpBs.jpg

And yeah, just as cr_ppy as I remember: hello fogged glasses no matter how hard you try. Hopefully some better options will become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.