Master thread for disasters and generators.

Wurkkos

idleprocess

Flashaholic
After much delay I finally got around to testing my setup today, which was a banner success.
  1. Connected the parallel kit
  2. Started the generators
  3. Connected the extension cord to the parallel kit
  4. Verified voltages were as expected: 120V both hots to neutral, 0V hot to hot
  5. Connected to the inlet
  6. Opened all breakers
  7. Closed the interlock breaker
  8. Closed critical-load breakers; amazing - I've got lights
My modest 1700W/2000W generators would surge just audibly other side of the wall as I closed breakers but otherwise no apparent issues. Even managed to start the office portable AC after everything else was running without complaint.

Anyway - the general recipe:
  • WEN 56203i (2) inverter generator
  • WEN GNA36i 3600W parallel kit
  • Custom extension cord
    • L5-30P plug
    • 8/4 power cable (20')
    • L14-30R cord end
  • L14-30P generator inlet
  • 60A 240V interlock breaker
  • Mechanical interlock to prevent the interlock breaker from closing while the main breaker is closed
The power cable is the key to this arrangement - both hot terminals on the L14-30R connect to the hot on the L5-30P, allowing me to run 120V circuits without 240V power. Without any modification to the inlet, I could also use a 120/240 generator using a different power cable and if it had enough Wheaties™ I could probably run the HVAC (provided I install a soft-start circuit on the compressor).

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Hey brother, I am delighted that you finally got this all set up and working.! I remember how happy I was when I got mine all set up in a previous house, with a 220 genset.

I didn't look up the different connectors/plugs, but I think that either you, or turbodog, earlier in this thread, pointed to a adapter that would feed both legs of a 220V panel with a 110 generator. In either case, it doesn't matter, as long as it works! :)

Oh, and AC on emergency power! :) Will you be getting yourself a blow up mattress? I found that the cushion to my back yard lounge chair is quite comfortable when camping.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Oh, and AC on emergency power! :) Will you be getting yourself a blow up mattress? I found that the cushion to my back yard lounge chair is quite comfortable when camping.
If it really comes down to that the house came with a 120V window unit in the master bedroom that works - needs more dancing pixies than the portable unit in the office so startup could be a more perilous affair.

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the whole house genset, but still keep the eu2k and a portable window unit just in case.

My older generator-to-house cable was a plain 110 cable. I used a jumper inserted into the dryer outlet to bridge the 2 phases.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
After much delay I finally got around to testing my setup today, which was a banner success.
  1. Connected the parallel kit
  2. Started the generators
  3. Connected the extension cord to the parallel kit
  4. Verified voltages were as expected: 120V both hots to neutral, 0V hot to hot
  5. Connected to the inlet
  6. Opened all breakers
  7. Closed the interlock breaker
  8. Closed critical-load breakers; amazing - I've got lights
My modest 1700W/2000W generators would surge just audibly other side of the wall as I closed breakers but otherwise no apparent issues. Even managed to start the office portable AC after everything else was running without complaint.

Anyway - the general recipe:
  • WEN 56203i (2) inverter generator
  • WEN GNA36i 3600W parallel kit
  • Custom extension cord
  • L14-30P generator inlet
  • 60A 240V interlock breaker
  • Mechanical interlock to prevent the interlock breaker from closing while the main breaker is closed
The power cable is the key to this arrangement - both hot terminals on the L14-30R connect to the hot on the L5-30P, allowing me to run 120V circuits without 240V power. Without any modification to the inlet, I could also use a 120/240 generator using a different power cable and if it had enough Wheaties™ I could probably run the HVAC (provided I install a soft-start circuit on the compressor).
+

Just had to quote the whole thing idleprocess

Gold star to you🌟

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Dual Fuel Generators:

I'm wondering... regarding, the propane/gasoline dual fuel generators, do they use the same carburetor?
If the carburetor gets gummed up with stale/evaporated gas, will it still start and run on propane?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Dual Fuel Generators:

I'm wondering... regarding, the propane/gasoline dual fuel generators, do they use the same carburetor?
If the carburetor gets gummed up with stale/evaporated gas, will it still start and run on propane?
All of the propane conversions I've seen inject the propane via the air intake.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
So then it should run, right?
Eh, I'm not 100% on the specifics of small engine design, but I'd think that the intake air mixes with the fuel through the carb. So short of a failure mode on the carb that solely impacts the introduction of fuel, no I would not expect a malfunctioning carb to work with propane.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Hmmm, considering that an engine with a gummed up carb will run on ether (blown into the air intake) I suspect that it will run on propane, if it is introduced to the throat of the carb.

Hopefully other participants will be able to contribute.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Here is a newer DIY generator quieting box, video, posted March 2021. It has a nice design to baffle the exhaust noise, something that most boxes don't consider.

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's not budget-friendly, but simply having 2 identical units will solve 95% of your generator problems. And the final 5% can be solved by having a spare new carburetor on hand.

Or ditch gen #2 and just have a spare carb.

Speedybon

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you can beat a Honda. I have EU2200i I love that thing. I always wanted one and it is nice to know you have back Power. And easy to start and it is quiet.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
We just had an outage. I knew, because the TV went off, and the lights in the kitchen. :(
My auto-on emergency lights came on, and one of my grand-kids placed a lantern into the bathroom where his brother was taking a shower.

There was a predicted delay in restoration between 4-8 hours. Most of them during the dead of night. I considered going out and starting the generator, and realized I would have to bring an extension cord through a window, and remove a screen to do so, and that would be an open invitation to mosquitos. I had finally decided to get the gennie started and run the cord, when a friend called. We spoke for a bit, and the power came back on.

So part of my prep will be: to be prepared to close up the window opening for the power to enter and keep mosquitos out. A tarp with 2" wide tape should do the trick.

scout24

Staff member
One of the ways I used to employ to get cords inside is pool noodles or foam pipe imsulation. Cut a slit for the cord to pass through, cut the pool noodle snugly to the width of your window, and close the window down on it. A seperate piece tucked in the gap between the top of the bottom pane and the glass of the top pane works nice as insulation/bug stopper. Much neater than towels or tape.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Scout24,
I love that idea, that will work perfectly for standard double hung windows, but not so well for mine.

AXChohjFFoEN0s8e97efAVI2Jk=w592-h789-no?authuser=0.jpg

However, I took a look at mine in the day-light, and can see that it will close pretty tightly on a wire. I think I can just pick up a length of 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch weather-stripping. It should be super easy to apply, and remove later without making a mess.

Thanks for the suggestion!
:clap:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
This morning I took my grandson to Hapkido martial arts, and I had an hour to kill. So I went to Walmart, and picked up a 10 foot roll of 3/4 by 1/2 inch foam weather stripping. That should work well to keep the mosquitos out, and perhaps the heat in/cold out during the winter too.

Once again Scout, thanks for a great suggestion.

7RbL-z2aG4yYN-S64zC-OzISVU=w771-h789-no?authuser=0.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Oh darn... I just realized. 2+2 is four, and 4+4 is eight and if you add four and eight together, you get... 12! Not 10.
I have to go get more!
:poop: Oh well... better to discover it now, than when I am trying to install it. :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Poppy says he likes his HF generator,, just noticed a bigger version is out.
It's a 9500W inverter unit. Big motor/gasoline capacity & likely low'ish motor rpm...

Yes it's a significant purchase, but I tried to find faults in it, and just couldn't find any ( I realize that sounds negative)
anyway.. it's called 9500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator

idleprocess

Flashaholic
For funsies I'm running on generator power now. Without the office AC load they happily kicked down to idle to the point that I'm confident I could work from home on one outside of air conditioning season all day without issue. I've switched on nearly all 120V circuits save for the likes of the washing machine, garbage disposal, furnace fan. ~30 minutes and I can't notice them anywhere inside other than the kitchen which has a window more or less facing the exhausts.

Not sure if the threatened doghouse is going to happen this year. The generators are reasonably quiet and the main benefit to a doghouse would be low-effort all-weather operation. Otherwise, stealth operation would really only matter late at night or in some improbable situation where I need more power for longer than powerbanks / UPS can provide without attracting attention.
+

Poppy says he likes his HF generator,, just noticed a bigger version is out.
It's a 9500W inverter unit. Big motor/gasoline capacity & likely low'ish motor rpm...

Yes it's a significant purchase, but I tried to find faults in it, and just couldn't find any ( I realize that sounds negative)
anyway.. it's called 9500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator

The Senci SC8000I platform definitely gets around. Other contenders are the Duromax XP9000IH (added bonus: dual fuel), and hard-to-find A-iPower SUA8000iSF / SUA8000IE.

I would consider the platform were I facing routine power outages and I was able to confirm the beast could handle central AC with a soft-start mod.

Last edited:

Latest posts