Master thread for disasters and generators.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Power out an hour ago, middle of day. I guess usage spike blew a fuse somewhere. Genset's rocking along... am sure I'll have a patch of dead grass from the heat afterwards. Someday I'll get a piece of roofing tin/sheet metal for a grass heat shield or maybe setup a sprinkler.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm surprised that we haven't heard of a lot of wide spread power outages.

I'm glad that you are prepared, and will weather the storm well.

It is really sad that so much of the country is in a drought condition. I haven't had to mow my grass for three weeks so far, but I finally had to start watering it. I did once last week, and then again some of it yesterday, and some of it today.

We are running below average in rainfall, but not terribly, and we are running 5-10 degrees above average temps, with high humidity, but no rain. Our average temp this time of year is about 85F and we are running around 93F.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm surprised that we haven't heard of a lot of wide spread power outages.

I'm glad that you are prepared, and will weather the storm well.

It is really sad that so much of the country is in a drought condition. I haven't had to mow my grass for three weeks so far, but I finally had to start watering it. I did once last week, and then again some of it yesterday, and some of it today.

We are running below average in rainfall, but not terribly, and we are running 5-10 degrees above average temps, with high humidity, but no rain. Our average temp this time of year is about 85F and we are running around 93F.

Gulf coast region, getting rain ~4 days a week right now. Barely time to cut grass between rain days.

Today was random outage... dead tree limb fell, contacted the line, and blew a fuse on the segment I'm on. Was out for ~2 hours.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Did a ~30 minute run, which reminded me that I could shave a almost 20 minutes off the whole affair by completing the doghouse and leaving the whole shebang in a more ready state. Learned that the thermostat has no knowledge whatsoever of the status of the compressor and will try to cool the house nonetheless.

Regrettably, CO Safe is becoming standard on generators which will make my doghouse idea a bit more tenuous for the possible future large 120/240V generator.

turbodog

Flashaholic
...Learned that the thermostat has no knowledge whatsoever of the status of the compressor and will try to cool the house nonetheless.

During summer outages I will usually turn off the main HVAC but leave on the circulating component, using a smaller 1 ton unit to provide cooling and the large unit to disperse the air. The small unit will run 100% of the time and not make huge fluctuations as it cycles. Seems easier on equipment: genset, hvac, and anything currently 'on'.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Regrettably, CO Safe is becoming standard on generators which will make my doghouse idea a bit more tenuous for the possible future large 120/240V generator.
+

Understanding your not necessarily in the market, but two of these 'linked' would equal one large generator.
**No CO shutoff hassle either on these.

2 = $1200 (No tax I think) shipped free
more than 6000W linked in pure wave

turbodog

Flashaholic
FWIW,

I did a fuel usage analysis on the inverter gensets. Using honda eu2k pricing (approx $1000) and $2/gal gas.... the breakeven was around 100 hours of runtime.

Cheaper genset (wen/harbor freight/etc) and $4 gas accelerates payback considerably.

scout24

Flashaholic
I agree, the Honda inverter units are pricey. BUT: you're getting decades of R&D from one of the top companies in the field, a cast iron sleeved ball bearing supported crankshaft engine durable well beyond the rated hours. Legendary in the small equipment field. Actual dealers who service them, and parts availability probably beyond the length of time you or I will be around to use them. Go to any county fair, flea market, swap meet, etc and look to see what generators are being used by the folks running the food trucks. There are other good units out there, but Honda is tough to beat.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Dunno on this one... for $500 less you can get the eu3k... which has a larger tank, larger engine, quieter, and higher rated continuous power. Or, for less money, you can get a pair of eu2k.

The fuel injection sounds nice from a maintenance standpoint... I just thought it would bring significantly longer runtime or higher power efficiency.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Are all Honda generators made with cast iron sleeved engines?
I think they are asking a big jump in price for the one linked above because it is fuel injected. At least for now, Honda will have little to no competition in that arena. I think.

I another thread we discussed that they, like other manufacturers make three different levels of engine quality. They have a Pro series, and not so Pro series.

Ten years ago, during Hurricane Sandy, I ran my Briggs powered generator for 3 1/2 days. Since then, I have only run my gensets for break-in, and seasonal maintenance. At that rate, they will outlast me for sure.

I just checked Briggs, because I know that they used to have engines with cast iron sleeves. They still do make Pro series engines with cast iron sleeves. They of course also make them with aluminum.

Briggs & Stratton - Engine

https://www.briggsandstratton.com › Files › FAQs

PDF​

INTEK™ PRO, Industrial Plus™ and I/C® (Industrial/Commercial) engines are cast iron sleeved. - select for medium duty commercial, industrial and rental use. • ...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Poppy- The GX series of Honda engines have cast iron sleeves. Made for thousands of hours of commercial use, used in the EU line inverter (fully enclosed) generators. Turbodog- I agree on the 3k or a pair of 2200's, I was just advocating for the EU series in general... 😁

turbodog

Flashaholic
Poppy- The GX series of Honda engines have cast iron sleeves. Made for thousands of hours of commercial use, used in the EU line inverter (fully enclosed) generators. Turbodog- I agree on the 3k or a pair of 2200's, I was just advocating for the EU series in general... 😁

I'm not saying it's a bad genset... I figure the throttle response is a little better. Once prices come down I could bite, but I do enjoy having a pair of eu2k in case one won't crank.

Something I noticed on a recent 2800w honda inverter unit... it _seems_ to sense the load applied and just gives up if it's a few watts too much. Older units would send power anyway, and your device (air compressor in my case) would start up (with a little complaining).

Not 100% on this though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I decided it was time for a generator the options in my mind were Yamaha or Honda camping generators. The Yamaha could be doubled easily via some jumper cables. The shop that sold them was closed the day I decided to buy one so I went with Honda because that shop was open.

If I camped a lot and used the generator a lot a fuel injected generator might be worth the extra cost to me.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Not sure how I stumbled across this today, the super-honcho DuroMax XP9000iHcan be found for $1999

alot of money, but ALOT of generator,,, a one & done type thing.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Not good. Just looking at the wheels make me cringe. Try pulling that monster across a lawn. Way too much money. Maybe because its an inverter type.
I picked up a Firman Dual Fuel Portable Generator 9400W Electric Start 120/240V from Costco a couple years ago on sale $599.99. It has performed well.
The now have a Tri Fuel for $999.99. Like mine battery and wheels included.

Cons on mine?
Loud. I just point the exhaust away from the house. Its for outages, not recreation.
Steel 8 gal gas tank. I just keep it topped off with non-ethanol. Letting one sit with air space and poor fuel is not good.
Wheels could be better but I don't have to move it far.
Pros?
Has been reliable.
Power is not under rated.
I run it for a few minutes every month to move fuel through the carb, it starts easily. On rope pull as well.
Runs seemingly forever on gas or LP. I mostly run LP.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Westinghouse iGen4500 inverter unit can be found for $585,,regular price is $1099.
remote electric start , 3700W running 4500W peak

Of the deals I'v listed, this is the best by far..
to the degree; I'm staring at my computer wondering if I should not miss this price!

> no CO alarms to worry about if running in parallel