Master thread for disasters and generators.

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
I'm doubtful that link is a legit company. Lots of scam links out there… advertise too good of a price, too good to be true, take the money and never deliver product.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If anyone is looking to get a back-up power battery bank, the Pecron E1000 can be had for $399 on ebay,, they are sold & shipped directly form Pecron.
I use a couple of them daily charged directly off solar panels and are simply workhorses,, not fancy, just get it done.
E1000 charge at 36V, so two 12V panels in series or larger 24V panels.
~They'll do 1000W and have a 1028Wh capacity

You don't need to do the solar for charging, comes with an AC charger.

Just a couple years ago, these were $699
$399 is a steal!!

===================
add: if used at your residence, alternative energy investments can be deducted from your taxes (if you owe)
Believe it's a 28% deduction like last year.
So the E1000 and solar panels would apply for deduction.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I just stopped by the Harbor Freight site, and noted a 20% off coupon for any generator. It's good only today and until tomorrow Jan 5, 2023.

That will make their 3500 inverter generator, regularly $899 about $720.

coupon code 99655344

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I just stopped by the Harbor Freight site, and noted a 20% off coupon for any generator. It's good only today and until tomorrow Jan 5, 2023.
If I had confidence that the 9500 could run my HVAC with a softstart mod I may well have procured one with that coupon already. Unfortunately, I'd almost certainly need two for that task.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had confidence that the 9500 could run my HVAC with a softstart mod I may well have procured one with that coupon already. Unfortunately, I'd almost certainly need two for that task.
+

Two coupons? :grin2:

------------------------------------------------------------------
The Westinghouse iGen2500 is a really solid unit w/ 100cc motor with 2500W peak,, No CO alarm
$629 at HomeD,,, can be found for $492 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LRFNVKM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

idleprocess

Flashaholic
+

Two coupons? :grin2:

------------------------------------------------------------------
The Westinghouse iGen2500 is a really solid unit w/ 100cc motor with 2500W peak,, No CO alarm
$629 at HomeD,,, can be found for $492 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LRFNVKM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price? And double the challenging fuel logistics?

A 100cc engine in the >2000W running category is more likely to be able to realize those watts than the flood of 79cc models.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What level of THD does an average whole home Generac or Kohler have?

turbodog

Flashaholic
+

What level of THD does an average whole home Generac or Kohler have?

My 14kw kohler will make my apc ups supplies beep when the a/c kicks on, but other than that... they happily accept the power coming from it.

Utility power isn't perfect by any means either.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
So funny that this thread updated today. Had a brownout late this morning - and since I was less than ambitious when I got up this morning it happened as I was in the middle of a late-morning shower. I know it was a brownout because while the bathroom LED lights extinguished, the bedroom LED lights simply went dim. Finished my business in the near-dark, hearing UPSs crying for help and a new rumbling in the distance.

Got dressed, stepped outside and realized that rumbling is almost certainly a neighbor's (presumably new) automatic backup generator. Got to work pulling the generators and accessories from the shed setting up hoping that there were no issues with the freezing temperatures the past ~week. Everything worked so I'm now on generator power. Figure I'll listen for the neighbor's generator to shut down before I ponder switching back to shore power.

Edit: Took the utility about 90 minutes to restore power - far faster than I was expecting. Glad the doghouse now has a functional roof - it's been raining all day. I had a conversation with a neighbor weeks prior as I was working on the generator doghouse who indicated that our block is on the same grid as the police station, fire station, and the local hospital (reason we never lost power February 2021) - and was indirectly signaling surprise that I was bothering. I resisted the urge to be smug as I was setting up and the outage was over before I considered tossing a live extension cord over the fence.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
... I know it was a brownout because while the bathroom LED lights extinguished, the bedroom LED lights simply went dim. ...

Sound like maybe 1 phase/leg failed and the other browned out?

Did like half of the house sorta work and half was totally dead?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Sound like maybe 1 phase/leg failed and the other browned out?

Did like half of the house sorta work and half was totally dead?
A handful of LED lamps would work at an unstable ~5% output. Others would flash for a fraction of a second when power-cycled. But otherwise everything seemed dead - not that I did a lot of investigating. Other neighbors reported similar behavior. Some neighbors with what I suspect were inverter-driven motors - refrigerators, furnaces - reported that those appliances kept on keeping on.

Poppy

Flashaholic
It is currently 10 F outside with a 17 mph NW wind resulting in a windchill of -8F !!!
I hope and pray that I don't have to go outside to start up a generator.

OK... call me a baby, but I enjoy the comforts of a heated cave.