• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Maui time (Pictures) - 3

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
We have been getting swell after swell and the surf has been coming almost non stop. I discovered a really fun break right out where the seahorses were and although it is not so hot for surfing on a board, it is really fun on the wave ski. I went there today and the conditions were prety marginal because of an on shore wind with a lot of wind chop coupled with bump from the rip current that can be really strong there. While deciding whether to go out or not, we noticed a whale just outside the surf. A guy I now consider a friend who has a surf school set up at the beach said he was going to paddle out on a board to get a closer view of the whale. I decided to put off the surfing for a bit and paddle out on the wave ski with camera, fins and mask. The visibility looked OK but certainly not great.

Well the mother ended up swimming by me headed north with her calf safely on the other side and with her between me and it.

DSC_9221.jpg

Had the vis been good, the above shot would be much better. I figured at least I had my first in the water encounter and likely a proof shot of it. After she swam pas me, she did an abrupt turn about.

DSC_9223.jpg

With the calf still on her port side, it was now on the side close to me and it looked like she would give me another pass and possibly closer with calf in view.

DSC_9224.jpg

I won't overwhelm this post with too many pics but as it turned out, she did come by me and way closer than I would have imagined!! She herded the calf directly at me and at the last minute swept her head under me diverting the calf past me but with both of them at less than my arms length away!!

DSC_9230.jpg

I looked them both in the eye as then came past me. I was certain of physical contact but these benign creatures have the kinesthetic awareness of gymnasts and the grace and flexibility to match!

DSC_9236.jpg

DSC_9237.jpg

In the shot below, they are both partially past me and as close to me as they could probably get. Their tails have yet to pass and either could swat me like a fly! :D

DSC_9240.jpg

Once past, they turned some more and mom checked me out:

DSC_9249.jpg

And then the turned back to their port and swam off...

DSC_9255.jpg

DSC_9260.jpg

I day dream of encounters like this where the whales elect to come in close to me but never expected such a dream to come true!!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this didn't cause a serious case of goose bumps, I simply don't know what would.

After all the time you've spent waiting for such an encounter, I'm really happy that it paid off for you, Don!

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such massive, beautiful creatures.

Guessing your heart had to nearly be beating out of your chest at the point that you were looking mom in the eye.

By the way, I have something of yours that will be on its way back shortly, just got a better color chart to use for comparison's sake.

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
You've got the life, Don. I don't even know what I'd give to be able to have experiences like that. Ugh...I need to leave Miami.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics! I would give my left arm to switch locations with you!
Think about it, at the time you were swimming in beautiful warm waters with freaking whales, I was shoveling the snow off of my driveway in below zero temperatures. Damn. LOL.
Keep on enjoying the dream. :nana:

Barefootone

Enlightened
Hi Don,

Marvelous pictures, maybe some of your best of the magnificent Whales. I'm glad your dream has been realized of up close and personal.

It's freezing cold here in W. PA.

Be well,

Jeff

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks guys!

I am really stoked that I got the shots that I did as they did capture the experience for the most part. In reviewing the images I can see where I should have and could have done much better but hopefully the experience can influence my actions next time if there is one. With the whales that close and moving as quickly as they did, the thought of trying to view the experience through the tiny view port and at the disadvantage of objects being much smaller and apparently much further away, is frankly spooky!

It's an interesting balancing act of being in the moment as well as trying to capture it. This is especially true in a dynamic and unexpected event of which you have no control over.

I feel for you guys dealing with "real winter" and the best I can do is appreciate the paradise I find myself in (in my opinion anyway). Thanks for letting me share some of it. :eek:

DM51

Flashaholic
What an unforgettable experience that must have been! You obviously have a complete affinity for marine creatures, otherwise the mother would never have let you get so close to her calf... fantastic!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It's difficult to know what these whales sense but in their presence, it feels like there is some sensing going on and especially with some eye contact, it hardly feels "flat". Easy to romanticize but I do think there is something there. :shrug:

Perhaps some day science will have tools and recording devices that detect a life force or energy aura and it would be interesting to see what emanates from these animals; provided they are still in the oceans at such a future date.

If that comment is to out there, new age or just plain goofy for some of you, so be it. :) :tinfoil:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps some day science will have tools and recording devices that detect a life force or energy aura and it would be interesting to see what emanates from these animals; provided they are still in the oceans at such a future date.

If that comment is to out there, new age or just plain goofy for some of you, so be it. :) :tinfoil:

Groovy man. Groovy :D :crackup: