• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Maui time (Pictures) - 3

I just found this thread today! Another great photo from page #8[August 2010]

Another AWESOME picture below. It shows the perspective in a very creative way. The cleanliness of the water is unbelievable!,,,,,is it still the same 8 years later?

DON_1572.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The visibility there is typical of a decent day. It can be worse but better as well. The salt water doesn't really sting your eyes as our saline solution in our eyes is about the same salinity as salt water. Unfortunately we can't focus well in salt water. There are kids in some south pacific islands who can see rather well underwater without the need of goggles or a mask. I envy them!!

The visibility there is typical of a decent day. It can be worse but better as well. The salt water doesn't really sting your eyes as our saline solution in our eyes is about the same salinity as salt water. Unfortunately we can't focus well in salt water. There are kids in some south pacific islands who can see rather well underwater without the need of goggles or a mask. I envy them!!

I have several friends that admire and are fascinated by your photos. You should work for National Geographic as an underwater photographer!:D

I see no way to email or PM you. I wanted to share this with you!

My beautiful Daria who loves Hawaii[Lives in California] said, "Tell him I will Marry him as long as we live in Hawaii. He can keep his wife."

Daria is not a Morman!!! Here she is 5 years ago.

California_trip-_L.A._The_Beaches_and_Mt._Whitne.jpg

California_trip-_L.A._The_Beaches_and_Mt._Whitne.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have several friends that admire and are fascinated by your photos. You should work for National Geographic as an underwater photographer!:D

I see no way to email or PM you. I wanted to share this with you!

My beautiful Daria who loves Hawaii[Lives in California] said, "Tell him I will Marry him as long as we live in Hawaii. He can keep his wife."

Daria is not a Morman!!! Here she is 5 years ago.

LOL. Well I am flattered to be certain! I assume you know about my web site, dmcleish.com where I have too many pics posted by year. I really do enjoy getting out there and trying to get some shots. I was testing a royal blue AquaMule with a long pass filter over Sony Cam and pulled this shot from the test video. (night time checking on fluorescing corals)

CoralGlow-12.jpg

^^^

Nice photo!

I went snorkeling several times in Key West , Fla. many years ago. It was in shallow water and the Snorkel was above the water.

How do your daughters[??] or the young ladies in the photos hold there breath for so long?! Are they in relatively shallow water and hold their breath for a minute or so? Not sure how those underwater snorkels work?

,,,,,,,,Thanks

McGizmo

Flashaholic
^^^

Nice photo!

I went snorkeling several times in Key West , Fla. many years ago. It was in shallow water and the Snorkel was above the water.

How do your daughters[??] or the young ladies in the photos hold there breath for so long?! Are they in relatively shallow water and hold their breath for a minute or so? Not sure how those underwater snorkels work?

,,,,,,,,Thanks

Snorkels only work when the tip is out of the water. Usually keep them in you mouth when you dive so you can quickly clear them when surfacing and then take a breath. Not sure what picture you are referring to with the ladies but most of the people I snorkel with can hold their breath for long enough to dive down 10 - 30 feet and then back to the surface.

Snorkels only work when the tip is out of the water. Usually keep them in you mouth when you dive so you can quickly clear them when surfacing and then take a breath. Not sure what picture you are referring to with the ladies but most of the people I snorkel with can hold their breath for long enough to dive down 10 - 30 feet and then back to the surface.

Thanks for explaining. There were numerous pictures with her swimming with turtles in some type of Ray? There was no way to determine the depth of the Water by the photos. I kind of had a feeling it wasn't really really deep. But then again with my lack of knowledge in this area I thought that maybe that snorkel had a secret chamber of oxygen!

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Hi Don. My wife is out there (Kaanapali Beach) right now, but I had to stay back this time.
How are the whales this year? Any shots of the marine life I'm missing out on?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Don. My wife is out there (Kaanapali Beach) right now, but I had to stay back this time.
How are the whales this year? Any shots of the marine life I'm missing out on?

It has been very unusual weather with wind, rain and cold temperatures (relative that is). Have had some time with the whales.

CalfEye-05.jpg

_UWA4540.jpg

0111-028.jpg

0111-033.jpg

Here a pair of whales pass close by my boat:

0113-012.jpg

And a bit later the one splashed us a couple times and even made contact with the boat with its pectoral flipper:

0113-021.jpg

I had my back to the whale to better see the display for the drone as well as avoid getting the gear soaked! Contact:

0113-023.jpg

Same pair in a later "fly by":

_UWA4603.jpg

_UWA4610.jpg

_UWA4622.jpg

_UWA4659.jpg

We also had a short visit by an endangered giant manta (very cool to swim with these graceful giants):

0113-039.jpg

Humpback mom and calf joined by a pair of bottle nose dolphin moms with their youngsters:

0115-016.jpg

_UWA4733.jpg

_SKY4323.jpg

_UWA4910.jpg

But lately:

_DMC1324.jpg

0211-011.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
How available is Daria? I can move to Hawaii; there's plenty of defense-contracting work out there. :D

- - -

On a more serious note, none of Don's pictures will load for me. They're all broken links, and when I right-click and select "View Image" I get a warning about an improperly-configured security certificate for dmcleish.com. Any other Firefox users with the same problem?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Fantastic Don! I can't imagine being so close to those huge but gentle creatures. What a marvel of creation!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
How available is Daria? I can move to Hawaii; there's plenty of defense-contracting work out there. :D

- - -

On a more serious note, none of Don's pictures will load for me. They're all broken links, and when I right-click and select "View Image" I get a warning about an improperly-configured security certificate for dmcleish.com. Any other Firefox users with the same problem?

Odd. I use firefox and have no problem viewing my website or these images here?!?!

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Spectacular as always!
She did mention the surf advisories but managed to get on a tour up to Napili Bay yesterday. Had a playful dolphin up close, but most of the whales were in the distance.
Thanks so much. I'll be sharing these with her when she gets back.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

- - -

Yes, but you would have to leave your job a the CIA! It's not worth it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The whale season is about over now and it has been a good one with many new calves. Just a few pics of way too many:

_SKY8072.jpg

_UWC1944.jpg

_UWC1102.jpg

_UWC1345.jpg

_UWC1539.jpg

_UWC1645.jpg

_UWC1669.jpg

_UWC1688.jpg

_UWC1834.jpg

MC-005.jpg

MC-018.jpg

_UWC2201.jpg

_SKY8707.jpg

_UWC2393.jpg

YC-014.jpg

_UWC2493.jpg

DJI_0651.jpg

Comp-2-12-013.jpg

Jean-Michel Cousteau pointing at a calf about to surface:

whales-JM-003.jpg

He went out on my boat twice and really enjoyed visiting the humpbacks.

_UWD2766.jpg

_SKX0171.jpg

_SKX0248.jpg

MC-2-22-20-018.jpg

_UWD0075.jpg

_SKX2489.jpg

_SKX2642.jpg

_UWE0764-close.jpg

Latest posts