• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Maui time (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Argh. Those centipedes are a part of the Dark Side of the Force for sure. :green:
This is why I could not live where you live, despite all the paradise and such.

Codeman ... if a Gecko had done to me what you endured I would have dies on the spot. Heart failure. :sick2:

I love this thread.

bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernie,
I think you over rate the problem of a few pests. :p

As to the gecko and toilet seat, I was going to point out that this is justification for leaving the seat up, gentlemen! :D

I have been working on the lap top at a small "bar" on the back deck or lanai as I enjoy the view of the back yard and watching the birds and critters at work and play there. The Java's have adapted too well to this and they come in close to let me know they want seed! I think the ones who would eat from my hand on the front lanai are likely the worst at buging me and I think they are getting me trained back here now. :rolleyes:

out-of-hand.jpg

Some of them like the one perched on my hand have such clean and sharp plumage that I really like looking at them. When they make contact with my hand with their breasts, they are so dang soft! The lighting was harsh and I used a remote cable and flash to get the above shot. I would like to try to get a shot with a good macro lens and soft lighting of one of these at some point.

EDIT: Here is one of the shots I got today with some better glass in front of the camera:

DSC_0062-close.jpg

Last edited:

Fringe

Enlightened
Man, so true, that is one clean bird.
I have often wondered, admiring my cat's super white fur, how these animals keep their whites so white. I have condsidered a secret compound in their mouth that we know nothing about, but man, if there was one and we could synthesize it, we could give bleach a run for its money, except for the disenfectant part.

Nice shot.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yep, gotta wonder who's training who! I know I'm sounding "motherly" - but be sure you wash your hands after contact...don't want ya' getting the bird flu!! Oh and another thing, you don't want them getting in the habit of "marking" your bar either!! (where's the bird splat smilie?)

Again - nice shots - thanks! You're training us as well you know (in soooo many ways it goes deep!)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The beauty and fascination of such little birds makes you fall for them instantly. You are an easy victim to be trained :D

About that toilet seat ... you should get your idea patented :p ... it saves us men from the female emancipation stampede ... :D

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernie,
Yes, I have been had by the fine feathers!! I won't overwhelm you with too many more images from this AM but here's two:

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Yesterday afternoon I was watering the hibiscus hedge which I have noticed has a couple anole keikis (reference this being a family thread) and at one point I felt something land on my leg. I was going to knock of what I figured was a fly with my other leg but looked first and it wasn't a fly.

Keki-Anole.jpg

I put my hand on my leg and he crawled on to it. He seemed very comfortable hanging onto me and I went into the house, grabbed the camera and came back outside and took a couple pics. I put a flashlight on the rail and it took some coaxing to get him to get on the rail and then he jumped up on the light. Cooperative subject!

LunaSol27-x2-Proto-Anole-1-close.jpg

LunaSol27-x2-Proto-Anole-2.jpg

LunaSol27-x2-Proto-Anole-3.jpg

After the photo shoot, I got him to crawl back up on my hand; he jumped willingly and then I went back to the hibiscus. An adult anole or gecko will jump off you when you get them even close to a better place to be but not this guy! I brought him up to where I had his head overlapping a leaf and he turned around and crawled up my arm and just stopped and lay there! :D The sun was about to set and maybe he prefered the body heat from my arm to the comming night and sleep time? :shrug: These guys go out light a light when the sun sets and I have encountered them at night, sound asleep and hanging on. In one case, a gust of wind dislogged an adult off the leaf it was sleeping on (just off my front lanai) and I heard it crash through some leaves below it before it awoke and stopped its fall. I turned on my flashlight and watched it groggily crawl into the center of a new leaf and shut its eyes once more. :laughing:

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's obviously seen you feeding the birds and is now attempting to train you as well. All hope is now lost, Don. Before long, you'll be selling special runs of lights, dedicated to buying critter food! :D

I should get part ownership of the TS patent. After all, I pioneered the need for such ideas with my, uh, groundbreaking research.

Bernie, I think my heart did stop for a second!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I should get part ownership of the TS patent. After all, I pioneered the need for such ideas with my, uh, groundbreaking research.

:thinking: Interesting choice of words. I have it on good authority that your research was more in line with windbreaking; albiet the results may be consistant. :nana:

As for the anole looking to me for food, no need there! These little lizards are cute and colorful and I do enjoy watching their antics but it's all dependent on a point of reference. If you were a small bug, the anole would be a threat that would make T. Rex a pansie by comparison!! :green:

The anoles are very fast and they can climb anything and almost on any surface; including upside down. They will leap 2 or 3 feet willingly to snap their jaws down on their prey! The other day there was an anole sitting on the fence board top. Further down was a line of about 6 javas, each on a fence board top. The anole decided it wanted to get to the other side of the javas and instead of going around, it took off, leaping from top to top and like dominoes, the javas took flight, one after the other. :D

Even though a visiting neighborhood cat may elect to take out an anole for fun, the anoles seem to think they are kings of the jungle. The jungle has less bugs thanks to their vigilance. That's cool in my book but a bug might disagree.

I encountered a keki skink yesterday that was so small it made the keki anole look giant by comparison. Its primary interest was geting out of my sight and it did so rather quickly.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Those are some damm great pics there !!!!
The light isn't that bad either :p ... show-off !!! :D

My girlfriend demands more of those pics and more underwater shots, too, so ... you got some work to do now!
Guess you are trained on multiple fronts now. :nana:

bernie

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: Interesting choice of words. I have it on good authority that your research was more in line with windbreaking; albiet the results may be consistant. :nana:

As long as I get to break something, I'm happy!:D

A java-hopping anole! :faint: You need to start posting videos!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
You guys are funny! :nana: :grin2:

In a moment of seriousness; short moment. I enjoy taking the pics and sharing in this thread and I thank you for your encouragement, responses and support here! :eek:

The Geico gecko reminds me of a morph between the madagascar gecko, an anole, Bambi and ET. :D

Well this evening I saw the keiki skink again and snuck inside to grab the camera.

keki-skink-2.jpg

keki-skink-1.jpg

I cropped out the puffer fish scar. :green: and of course the obligatory:

skink-ribs.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Now THAT's what I call a cute lizard. Is it venomenous to compensate for its size? Not that I'd be paranoid ... :p

This last pic is art. Do you have a bigger full-size XXL version of that one? I see a new beckground picture coming ... :thumbsup:

bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernie,
As an adult, that skink will be about 4-5 inches long. Unlike the anoles and geckos, the skinks are earth bound and keep low to the ground; hiding under plants and rocks. None of the lizards here are poisonous and in fact very few lizards in the world are poisionous. The Bufo toads here are poisionous to eat I understand and I presume the dogs and cats are aware of this.

I didn't keep a high resolution image on my computer but I don't think I have deleted the image from the film card yet. I don't think the image is noteworthy but if you want a high resolution of it, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts