maybe OT

Avix

Newly Enlightened
this ties into the "haveing to buy more flashlights since I can go camping/hunting again" idea (as well as powering spots/floods), I just found out from the manufactuer that the battery charger for the 12 V deep cycle marine battery setup I bought won't do what I need (charge and keep the 12V charged, although it was a case of no one seemed to be sure if it would or not depending on who I talked to, not to mention them takeing almost a month to respond).

my question for the ladies and gentlemen here: what is a good quality make and model charger to charge and maintain a 12V Exide Nautilus NC-27 Deep Cycle Battery? the more I look around the more I get confused

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi,
There are many types of chargers for SLA batts. If it were up to me, I would get an old 3A Lambda comercial built linear power supply, a series isolation diode, so if the power failed, the battery wouldent try to load into the p/s.

I would set it to the 'float' charge voltage the batt OEM recomends, AFTER the diode. Remember diodes exhibit voltage drop. Three amps should be enough so you don't cook it after a discharge cycle.

Use a good DVM.

Current will be limited by the ability of the p/s to deliver. If the draw exceedes the ability to regulate, the p/s will deliver 3 amps (constant current mode)until a voltage threshold is crossed, then it will be in Constant Voltage mode.

If your not using transmitters near by, a Lambda OVP (Over Voltage Protector module) crowbar unit will protect your battery should the p/s short.

Check out Ebay under Lambda, or ham flea markets. You will see a huge amount of used but working units avalable. Also check out the OEM web site. If you ask nicely they will sometimes send you free repair parts.

These are not radio shack or consumer class units.
Most have a feature called 'remote sensing'. This takes some getting used to.

Remote sensing allows the power supply to regulate voltage after the cable losses at the input to the load. I have gotten many bargans on 'dead' supplys, and strapped the S+ to the + and the S- to the - and gotten it working again.

Some are also high precision regulators. .1% or better some times can be had for cheap!

Lambdas are built like tanks. And can be had cheeper than most consumer goods.

I had a 12v 20 amp unit on a ham repeater for many years. I could not kill that thing. We used to 're transmit' the space shuttle audio on it. That thing would be key down for many hours a day, and all it did was get warm. Blowing dust out of the heat sink hardly counts as maintainance.

Enough said.

Keep it warm
Jack Crow in Iraq

Avix

Newly Enlightened
I know some people who are into Ham, I'll give them a call and see what can be found localy, thanks Jack

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a different take, check out your local (ship's) chandlers. You're after a 'shore power converter', the gizzie the boaties use when they're tied up and can plug in. It does just what you want (recharge and then float as appropriate).

Guys tie up for hours to months (or more) between discharges of various levels, marine chargers need to deal with this.

The Newmar (brand name) I put on an alarm system is still working 12 years later on the same Sears deep cycle battery (plus a bit of water from time to time). For sure it doesn't have full capacity, but it'll still run the alarm for a very long time and when the power comes back, it takes care of itself.

So that's my advice, you got a marine battery problem; try the marine battery solution. See the man.

Doug Owen

Avix

Newly Enlightened
mmmm, they got a couple of boat places down at the port (a sea port in Idaho. who woulda thunk it) I'll look into that, thanks Doug.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yer welcome, good luck.

And no, since boats are just an excuse to fill a hole in the water with money, I suspect there's a 'boat place' or two near anything big enough to float a dink.....

Doug Owen

Avix

Newly Enlightened
now that might explain the friends who have a sail boat sitting in there yard for the past 8 years....

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
now that might explain the friends who have a sail boat sitting in there yard for the past 8 years....

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked with a guy that built one in a basement garage too big to get out....ended up taking most of a wall out. Wife kept photos handy for everyone to see.

He's divorced last I heard.

Doug Owen

Avix

Newly Enlightened
I don't think "measure twice, cut once" applied in this case. sounds like me, I can measure something 3 times, lay out the cut line with a T-square, have someone else check it, cut right on the line with high quality tools and it will still be 2-3 inches off.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
I don't think "measure twice, cut once" applied in this case. sounds like me, I can measure something 3 times, lay out the cut line with a T-square, have someone else check it, cut right on the line with high quality tools and it will still be 2-3 inches off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. I can go through such a drill and end up *exactly* two inches off.

Scary thing is, it's starting to happen when I try to make exact change from the coins in my pocket.....

Doug Owen

Avix

Newly Enlightened
hmmm, I wonder what would happen if we tried to make change for each other......

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
My batteries (boat and camper) get cycled fairly often, so not a problem for me. If I am going to leave them for awhile, I'll put a small solar panel or an inexpensive float charger ($8 or $9 from Harbor Freight) on. No problems with either method. (Thankfully, I no longer keep a boat in the water)

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
hmmm, I wonder what would happen if we tried to make change for each other......

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know, but for sure it wouldn't be pretty. Might even scare the women and horses....best give it a pass.

Doug Owen