MBI #3 - Codename: HF

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you prefer a swivel like below?
lanyardq2.jpg

and confirming, nothing attached is best. just included.

I prefer not. I don't usually have issue putting clips on small rings.
Thanks Alex

Unattached here as well. Probably wouldn't use a lobster claw as I prefer a gate clip. And have been using these Ti rings for so long now I don't really use a split ring. But that's just me. Well, and a few others here! ;)

Dale
Thanks Dale

UNattached here also. I prefer to add my own swivel to a setup like that ;).
GL
Hi GL,
How bout that swivel?

They probably recognize the package, now ;) Great to know it can be here in such a short time :thumbsup:
I'll have to write the trit size in my excel sheet... not sure I'll remember in 10 years!

I would prefer any clips to come detached, but I didn't ask for any (and it would be a little late to ask by now.) I'm working on something of my own brew and it will be very unique with a style that's in-line with my HF. Not a word more till it's finished with pictures to post :sssh:
Hi Cataract,

Detached, got it.
Hopefully they'll be recognized a lot faster this time round.

I want a couple of those trits!

Email sent
Hi compasillo,
email coming ;)

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
After having a couple of swivels separate, I don't use em anymore. Personal preference and all that. ;) I guess if they were made of SS or Ti they'd probably be ok. The cast ones wear the hole bigger and fail.

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
After having a couple of swivels separate, I don't use em anymore. Personal preference and all that. ;) I guess if they were made of SS or Ti they'd probably be ok. The cast ones wear the hole bigger and fail.

Dale
Thanks Dale,

I haven't had a moment to confirm the weight but my guess is 15gm with battery so the swivel should be good for some time.

Detached and heavy duty swivel.

Thanks Jake ;)

tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Minature Swivels.
The Ti Clip to the left is a Pico #0
The TiClip to the right is a Nano #1
The split rings are Stainless #6's.

Would you prefer a swivel like below?
th_lanyardq2.jpg

tgwnn

Hi Guy,
Just as Dale mentioned, the above styled swivels are prone to failure.
You can include it if You'd like. I prefer to use the upgraded ones on my
EDC MBI flashlights ;).
GL

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some copper lobster claws at the hobby shop :) (They also have brass and others) I ain't sayin more till I'm finished and get the pitsher up...

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

A bit big for the HF istelf, but I definitely could have used one of those on my setup... now I'll have to make more after I finish this one like my hobby collection isn't keeping me busy (Yes, hobby collection: Macrame, knots, sewing, drawing, knives, flashlights, rocks/stones/crystals, shiny things, shinING things, following MBI products, waiting for order deliveries...)

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOooohh, Yep the larger trits are brighter! :) Just got my hands on the one I ordered for my CoreTi, it's 2.9mm wide x 8.9mm long and 1.5mm thick. Might indeed be a bit thick for the button the CoreTi but I'll figure something out! I've toyed with the idea of recreating the button in a piece of black granite, with this green rectangular trit inlaid. :)

What'dya think Cataract? Would black granite hold together if cut that small? Tiger's Eye? Clear Quartz? Hmmm, now that's a thought! lol

See Guy, we're dangerous when waiting for our MBI deliveries! :crackup:

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Minature Swivels.
The Ti Clip to the left is a Pico #0
The TiClip to the right is a Nano #1
The split rings are Stainless #6's.

Hi Guy,
Just as Dale mentioned, the above styled swivels are prone to failure.
You can include it if You'd like. I prefer to use the upgraded ones on my
EDC MBI flashlights ;).
GL

Hi GL,

Thanks very much.
Ok, the ones in my photo are perhaps not the ultimate but I'm quickly realizing that if I thought people had preferences in regards to flashlights, when it comes to clips/attachment methods, you could easily multiply that by 10.
So thinking I'll include something reasonable, that can be used and for the pro's (that's everyone here ;) ) will let you set things up the way you want.

I found some copper lobster claws at the hobby shop :) (They also have brass and others) I ain't sayin more till I'm finished and get the pitsher up...
Hi Cataract,

Nice find :)

+1 the larger trits are always brighter. Could I get the same set up on mine?
Hi KuanR,
Absolutely.
By default, those are the trits I'm using.
So far, there were only about 3 HF's that I used 1.5mm trits on (Ti's) when the hole was too small because drilling them is risky.
Snapped drill bits, sometimes the drill even gets caught inside the hole so the whole tail needs to be replace.

That being said, the green 1.5mm are brighter than 2mm any other color.

Fishing stores offer tiny ball-bearing swivels rated at over 150 lbs:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...Rprd738800&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd738800;cat104616180

FsTop,

Awesome find! Thanks for the link.
I'm going to have to get a few of those.
Need something strong enough to prevent the crowd of people prying away the latest invention on my keychain :crackup:

That simply won't be enough!
hehe...
I think the 350 pound version might just do the trick.

I have seen many like these. For the HF to me they are a tad big starting at 1/2" long and up.
I'll add that the ones I posted are plated brass. Very smooth. I have had 3 in service for over a year with no failures. And cost about ~ the same.
GL
Thanks GL,
1/2" seems like an ok tradeoff to me for the extra strength but truly, its personal preference :)

A bit big for the HF istelf, but I definitely could have used one of those on my setup... now I'll have to make more after I finish this one like my hobby collection isn't keeping me busy (Yes, hobby collection: Macrame, knots, sewing, drawing, knives, flashlights, rocks/stones/crystals, shiny things, shinING things, following MBI products, waiting for order deliveries...)

I'll have to post a crystal shot for you!

OOooohh, Yep the larger trits are brighter! :) Just got my hands on the one I ordered for my CoreTi, it's 2.9mm wide x 8.9mm long and 1.5mm thick. Might indeed be a bit thick for the button the CoreTi but I'll figure something out! I've toyed with the idea of recreating the button in a piece of black granite, with this green rectangular trit inlaid. :)

What'dya think Cataract? Would black granite hold together if cut that small? Tiger's Eye? Clear Quartz? Hmmm, now that's a thought! lol

See Guy, we're dangerous when waiting for our MBI deliveries! :crackup:

Dale

Big trits, definitely brighter of course.I think the 1.5mm should be about the right thickness. Lots of NOA to make sure it doesn't crack during use.

I'm gutted I missed out on the copper run of this light! Guy have I missed the first run of the torpedo too?

Not yet acid. There is an "X" run coming by the end of the year for the production run first quarter 2013.

Hi Acid,

Like climberkid says, not yet :sweat:
I may have just a few more copper HF's landing.
I will post it in the next subscriber update which I'm currently working on and most likely to fly out between now and christmas.

Tgwnn

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving my light! I don't think I posted since I got it stalking the mail lady.

I use it all the time. Perfect in so many ways. Couple outliers and questions.

1) A moonlight would really make this my EDC. Hard to use around the house at night being so damn bright! HF! :D

2) Why not use a 10220 li-ion? They fit and work. Could even make it smaller.

3) Something has to be done with the attachment point. You are already addressing it here though. :)

4) Finally what the heck is the HF-R? Honestly can't take it anymore! Give it to me!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving my light! I don't think I posted since I got it stalking the mail lady.

I use it all the time. Perfect in so many ways. Couple outliers and questions.

1) A moonlight would really make this my EDC. Hard to use around the house at night being so damn bright! HF! :D

2) Why not use a 10220 li-ion? They fit and work. Could even make it smaller.

3) Something has to be done with the attachment point. You are already addressing it here though. :)

4) Finally what the heck is the HF-R? Honestly can't take it anymore! Give it to me!

Hi Tixx,

Thanks for posting and glad to hear you are loving your HF :)

1) moonlight > exploring adding a 3rd mode at some point going forward.
possibly also a QTC version..... depends on how smooth I can get the operation to be.

2) 10220 > its a balance of power and size. The 10250's are specially made to handle high discharge.
If I were to go a little smaller, I might consider a 10180 Nuke but if you want something just a little smaller, do stay tuned.

3) Attachment point > Thanks. FsTop made some good suggestions regarding that. Any more are welcome and will see what the best consensus is going forward design wise. I've been sending some different clip/lanyard kind of combo recently which fits, but is not as strong.
I did get a quote on a custom gate clip 1.5mm gauge (in titanium) but the price is very high of course for ti, molding and everything else.
I'll most likely go with an oval o-ring.

4) HF-R
Ahh, that :)

I'm biting my lips....
I was wanting to wait on the arrival of the HF Aluminum's before announcing the details though I may give in and send out a subscriber update before hand. I've mentioned before briefly that the HF-R is a modified HF (mostly external design changes).

Tgwnn

phoneguy

Enlightened
Hi Tixx,

Thanks for posting and glad to hear you are loving your HF :)

1) moonlight > exploring adding a 3rd mode at some point going forward.
possibly also a QTC version..... depends on how smooth I can get the operation to be.

2) 10220 > its a balance of power and size. The 10250's are specially made to handle high discharge.
If I were to go a little smaller, I might consider a 10180 Nuke but if you want something just a little smaller, do stay tuned.

3) Attachment point > Thanks. FsTop made some good suggestions regarding that. Any more are welcome and will see what the best consensus is going forward design wise. I've been sending some different clip/lanyard kind of combo recently which fits, but is not as strong.
I did get a quote on a custom gate clip 1.5mm gauge (in titanium) but the price is very high of course for ti, molding and everything else.
I'll most likely go with an oval o-ring.

4) HF-R
Ahh, that :)

I'm biting my lips....
I was wanting to wait on the arrival of the HF Aluminum's before announcing the details though I may give in and send out a subscriber update before hand. I've mentioned before briefly that the HF-R is a modified HF (mostly external design changes).

Tgwnn

Does that mean an HF-Round????

Bryan

Latest posts