MBI #7 - The MBI MatchBook, Got A Light anyone?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick Update:

Some final test parts due on Monday, then I can get to finishing up the first small batch, but as soon as I confirm the parts are a good fit, I'll go ahead and order more of everything ;)

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the latest sample parts this morning...

Only enough time for a fast photo, something like this...

1_zps0cqhylzu.jpg

The font is a little larger than planned but I can reduce it somewhat in the next batch but the gold color looks very nice in the flesh. Was able to reduce the thickness/diameter very slightly.

There's a little bit of variance between the black body and LED red sheath.
The longer this distance, the easier it is to switch them off.
If it's too short, the only way to do it is with your teeth or some pliers.
(Push the top down to switch on, pull back up to switch off)

If we increase the distance too much, you'll see the bare battery so it's a fine balance.

It is easy enough to remove some of the black covering if you want to try using a sharp cutter but you need to be careful not to sever the metal contact between body and head &/or not cut into the red plastic which would loosen the head.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking good. So what you are saying is we need to invest in good strong finger nails! :D
Mo, you are a genius :D
I should just include a bottle of fingernail strengthener and everything is solved!

They look great! I can't wait to get a book!
Thanks th8tredude,
Gonna do a final size check this evening and book printing can get underway ;)

Tgwnn

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right about the nail strengthener. The first time you turn one off it can be a real battle and your nails better not be too short to grip it or too long to snap. They do get a bit easier after the first time though.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

Awaiting arrival of some metal sheets (that stick to magnets) tomorrow along with a ton more magnets.
I need to test if the metal sheet is ferrous (magnetic) enough to hold the matches securely.

There is also one issue I discovered as follows:
In my first protos, I use a 3mm x 1mm disc magnet. It's ok and holds the matches well on a metal surface but not ultra strong in the MatchBook (some vigorous shaking and they'll fall out).
I've switched to 3mm x 3mm. These are good, very strong!

In the small test batches I've been making, when I secure the magnets to the bottom of the lights, all with same polarity, the matches don't like being next to each other and need about 3mm between them. If I reverse polarity so one light has a + on bottom, and the one beside it has a -, the next a +, etc... they can sit side by side with no issue.
The other alternative is to use the small 3D printed holder which works well too, but adds about 2mm of thickness.

I'll test out the metal sheets tomorrow and if they work out well, I'm thinking of going with +,-,+,-,+,-,+,- BUT it does mean you need to put them back in the MatchBook in that formation (though they do tend to work themselves out and know which ones want to stick to which ones).

Feedback and suggestions very welcome of course.

I have not yet ordered printed MatchBooks until I verify the metal sheets tomorrow, so I know the exact size.

It's now about 1min per match (going at light speed, :crackup: )

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:
It's almost time....

e76f418e-44c6-443a-aaac-e45e82cfe5ee_zps306wb4lc.jpg

I'm getting ready to launch the first MBI indiegogo campaign, for the MBI Matchbook.

It's just a few days away but if you'd like to see a preview of the campaign (& video) before it's open to the public, please email me (or contact me via my homepage) and I'll be happy to send you the private links.

As with most crowdfunding campaigns, there's a discount for being an early bird :D

I'll post again before I flick the switch.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick post to let you know everything is now set and ready!

80a8708e-a0ec-4b7b-87d0-874800331a99_zpsyh7sxmzb.jpg

I plan on launching the campaign about 8~12hrs from now...

Feb 26, approximately midday NY time, 8am LA time.

Here's what my plan of action looks like:

1) set the campaign page live on Indiegogo [est. time 5min]
2) send out a mail to MBI Insiders (email subscribers) [est. time 5min]
3) update the MBI facebook page with a related tab [est. time 5min]
4) update the MBI website with a related page [est. time 5min]
5) send out a facebook post to say it's live
6) come back and post here to say it's live

All the content for the above is ready, I just need to click "publish".

One thing I did notice is when I sent myself a "test" email (subscriber update), it appeared under the promotions tab (in gmail) rather than the default inbox tab so you might want to keep an eye out for it.

Thanks so much to everyone who's contacted me with feedback and advice, and thanks of course to all of you who read and send me good wishes and have supported in thought and comment :D

Wish me luck :bow:

Tgwnn

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news, Guy!

Dear fellow tribe-mates, please pledge for the multiples packs if you can afford them and let's get this project funded! :)