MBI: "Thing" - My newest, top secret "the product with no name"

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MBI: "Thing" - My newest, top secret "the product with no name"

tgwnn, one question that shouldn't be a big spoiler: Will it blend??

No just kidding, Can any of these Things have tritium luminous devices installed as a option? Probably not since it is likely made with nanofibers and graphene with microscopic sizing and assembled with the nano tolerances you speak so elegantly of.

Hi Str8stroke,

Thing-O, will likely take a serious amount of blending before it would stop functioning.
Thing-E, the most blendable.
Thing-Ultimate, depending on blade length/shape, there is a possibility but a Ti version would put up one helluva fight against a blender as surfaces are a little thicker than the others.

Trits.... when there's a will, there's (usually) a way :)

Tgwnn

cnlson

Newly Enlightened

I'm in (hoping this is less than the millions of dollars i've been promised for being a long lost nigerian prince)

ibeQuint

Newly Enlightened

I'm in for all the ti things :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in (hoping this is less than the millions of dollars i've been promised for being a long lost nigerian prince)
I'm most certain it will be less than the $42 million I need to send $100 for, to the widow of the cousin, of the son, of the late king Messink-Deik-Rezy. :crackup:

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Minor Update:

A small word
for all the Ti lovers (myself included)

It is VERY worth mentioning that, IF the Thing-E becomes available for beta (ideally molded, but most likely 3D Printed for beta), even though it will not be Ti, all I can say is "GRAB ONE" (one at the very least).

My initial design was roughly half molded & half Ti, but after some tests, it made sense to go with molded only for this format. Depending on one miniature part and how it affects assembly, there is still a slight chance I may revert to the half & half version but all going well, it would be awesome as is IMHO.

If Thing-E makes it, my default plan is to include it in the beta mix as I do have a feeling it will be a 50/50 split in terms of preference over Thing-E/Thing-O. Very much looking forward to opinions on that.

Both do share a similarly awesome core, but the slightly different form factor creates different advantages in each version.

Tgwnn

You can jump directly to my next update here

Last edited:

hutten

Newly Enlightened

That's just cryptic. :duh2:

easilyled

Flashaholic

I'm fairly confident that I'll want at least one of each "Thing" or maybe more. This thread is quite a tease but in the nicest way. :)

phosphor22

Enlightened

I love following the enticing clues...:)

rjking

Enlightened

Alright tribe! Thing-E Beta queue is here.

1. Me (rjking) :D

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds fun! I don't have a wife, but I still like surprises. Sometimes I leave the flashlight in its shipper on the table for a little bit just to build suspense. :huh:

Yeah sure, for like five seconds. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, OK, that's enough suspense... rip, shred, bite, claw.

...Yay, it's a Thing!

I knew that!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just saw your new project thread; excited to see what a thing is ;)

m95c

Newly Enlightened

I am in for one if you still are accepting orders. :D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks so much for all the "I want things" :bow: :thanks:

Just saw your new project thread; excited to see what a thing is ;)
Thanks Bigmac,

Excited to be sharing them, finally.

I am in for one if you still are accepting orders. :D

Thanks m95c,

Not officially accepting orders yet, but once I have the fully assembled Ti samples in hand, I'll likely start taking a limited number of orders but I hope to have enough for a reasonable sample group, so feel very welcome to join.

Tgwnn

Newguy2012

Enlightened

@TWNN
Your inbox is full. I just want let you know I found a possible source for NVSL219BT-V1 r9080 sw40. Since you're crowdfunding this project I thought it's a good idea to fill in as a possible option. I think the camera color balance exaggerate tint is a bit from have some many different temp at one. The led has a r9 value of 80. The 4000k tint doesn't look neutral like the 219a 4500k. 4000k suppose to lack any hint of yellow or blue.

nichiashootoutl1ksc.jpg

He going to start a group buy. He said this:
Well, I would order another 100 if there would be enough interest… I think those 100 could be split into different types of color bins and maybe even 219C, so they don't have to be 100 of the exact same bin. I had a couple inquiries from some other guys, so I thought about organizing another round. I'd have to send a request to get another exact quote, but I think, one emitter would be around 3,5$, not that cheap.
I might join the group buy to have spare for possible custom/mod build in the future. BTW Could you install a led in one your products if I provide one?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

@TWNN
Your inbox is full. I just want let you know I found a possible source for NVSL219BT-V1 r9080 sw40. Since you're crowdfunding this project I thought it's a good idea to fill in as a possible option. I think the camera color balance exaggerate tint is a bit from have some many different temp at one. The led has a r9 value of 80. The 4000k tint doesn't look neutral like the 219a 4500k. 4000k suppose to lack any hint of yellow or blue.
He going to start a group buy. He said this:
I might join the group buy to have spare for possible custom/mod build in the future. BTW Could you install a led in one your products if I provide one?

Hi Newguy2012,

Thanks.

Inbox.... looks like my cpf subscription just expired. I'll renew in a short while which should fix my cpf inbox.
My email works fine though (and so much better than the pm's) so do feel welcome to mail me directly (or via the contact page on my website).

Installing a custom LED.
It's usually possible but can depend on timing, or just make take a little time :D

Thanks for posting those cool tint comparisons :thumbsup:

btw, I should just mention, these will not fit in "things" but I'm sure the cool photo will confuse those who just skim through the pics :crackup:

Tgwnn

Last edited:

Newguy2012

Enlightened

I forgot you have an email.:oops: I thought you might wanna make some limited ed. HF available to your crowdfunding as an addition if x amount is met. As long an custom install is possible I'll get a few for future use. BTW is there a fee for custom install? I intend to use it for your HF ti. I plan on getting one sometime next year(summer?). Hopefully you'll have time to squeeze that in your tasks.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update:

I've gone ahead and ordered a handful of very slightly different Thing-E prototype bodies to see which is going to be the best fit.
Am very close to ordering a test batch of PCBs for those too (hoping that happens on Monday) and at this stage I am waiting on confirmation of a miniature battery contact (approximately 1mm x 2mm) but if no off-the-shelf parts exist I'll likely have to make a custom one.

Very close to being able to order the first sample machining prototypes of Thing-Ultimate.
I made some very slight adjustments based on feedback from a machining facility to minimize chance of warping during the process (some very thin parts), rounding a few internal corners, etc... and the design is done.
Now I just have to finish annotation of the design so I can submit the final spec and hopefully I'll have some samples in a few weeks.

Functional specs for Thing-Ultimate Version1 are also done, currently spec-ing out the PCB and almost all components have been set, so that is getting closer too but realistically, may be a month or two behind Thing-O & Thing-E in terms of being able to offer samples as I really need to verify the mechanical design and hopefully, it won't need much or any tweaking.

Schedule is looking something like this:

Thing-O Schedule
Machined Ti Prototypes Land: Nov 12-15
Final PCB Candidates Land: Nov 12-15
Additional Part Samples Land: Nov 10-12

No tweaks expected....

BetaRun All Parts Land: Dec 5-10
BetaRun Assembly: 2-3days

Thing-E Schedule
Prototype Bodies Land: Nov 10-15
PCB Candidates Land: Nov 12-15

If there are no tweaks needed.....