Mc Clicky

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I have broken quite a few McClicky switches. One just last week after a drop. First time I broke one and the light stayed on. Usually they will just stop clicking and become a press and hold, but the light usually still worked. I really use my light a lot though at work and it suffers quite a few drops and flings. The switch if pretty inexpensive, if figure I can't expect it to last forever with rough use. Most lights I tried before Malkoff with McClicky at my job only lasted a couple months.

Do the malkoff mcclickys hold up better than other lights? Never had a problem with mine but it's probably the weakest link on a malkoff. Not counting battery failures.

It's tough to beat the old sf z41 for ultimate reliability.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never seen McClicky criticism before today. Good thread.

In defense, it is said that McClicky "lasts longer" than OEM Surefire clickies, but I think this is a misinterpretation of the fact that McClickies will take more amps than OEM SF before catching on fire or whatever happens, which was vital during SF incan mod heyday and important to me. McClickies are also less expensive than stock SF switches.

I heard but have never seen that there are stiffer McClicky switches. All I have ever had are the soft press, and I have grown to like them, but I still prefer twisties.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Do the malkoff mcclickys hold up better than other lights? Never had a problem with mine but it's probably the weakest link on a malkoff. Not counting battery failures.

It's tough to beat the old sf z41 for ultimate reliability.
Most lights I broke at work before I started using a Malkoff were much less expensive lights. The McClicky's last a long time. I have never had one totally break and leave me in the dark. I have only had them go to press and hold or the most recent one where the light stayed on unless I unscrewed the head. They are super easy to change and inexpensive. I have always kept a couple spares around. I used a Surefire 6P years ago and had no problems, but not as long as the Malkoff. I have never broke a Malkoff light. I'd imagine the maker probably knows the number of clicks it is good for.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes he does. Battery bumper is a great feature View attachment 28160
Interesting. I've never seen a battery bumper installed on the negative end (only on the positive end) before, because of the spring.

I'm in agreement with @chillinn. I have never seen a McClicky criticism until today, not to mention a 'thread' that was started for it.

McClicky has been around a long time, vetted, tried and true as far as I can remember. In fact, it was the 'only' recommended mechanical switch to handle the high amperage in OR lights.

Perhaps the quality has degraded as the popularity demanded increased supplies? Unfortunate, regardless.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I think out of all the years, ive only had 1 go bad. And it was in an oveready boss. Never had any issues in the malkoffs.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with McClicky was 1 time with an aluminum old MAC. The light was unstable and went out on its own periodically. As it turned out, the person to whom I gave the flashlight took it apart and stained everything inside with machine oil mixed with some kind of soot. This greasy mixture poured inside McClicky. It was disassembled easily into its component parts, washed with clean gasoline and then with isopropyl alcohol, reassembled and continued to work reliably.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Most lights I broke at work before I started using a Malkoff were much less expensive lights. The McClicky's last a long time. I have never had one totally break and leave me in the dark. I have only had them go to press and hold or the most recent one where the light stayed on unless I unscrewed the head. They are super easy to change and inexpensive. I have always kept a couple spares around. I used a Surefire 6P years ago and had no problems, but not as long as the Malkoff. I have never broke a Malkoff light. I'd imagine the maker probably knows the number of clicks it is good for.

I've never had a problem with the malkoff ones either. If malkoff uses them I trust it to be reliable in his lights. I've got spares just in case and use battery bumpers.

strideredc

Enlightened
Will post pics when I can but for now I found a great fix for the super sensitive MC clicky.... Nothing ground breaking, two orings..... One just a bit bigger than the plunger and then one that's bigger that sits over the base of the plunger...

This makes it quite stiff to switch on, probably a good few pounds or more of pressure to switch on. Still only a few mill to momentarily then a stiff push to click it. I would be happy to throw! Into my work tool bag and not fear it coming on... Got rid of most ping also... But not all of it.....

Will try to get some pics up latter....

All in all, not as nice as a surefire switch but not far off...... 😀

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had one McClicky failure in the well over 10 years I've been using them. All but a couple of my Z41s have them (all from Oveready), my Malkoffs have them, my Moddoolars have them, my Prometheans have them, etc. It and the Elzetta high/low are pretty much the only switches I ever use.

They don't have as much momentary travel as an Elzetta switch, but I've never complained about it before.

strideredc

Enlightened
Will post pics when I can but for now I found a great fix for the super sensitive MC clicky.... Nothing ground breaking, two orings..... One just a bit bigger than the plunger and then one that's bigger that sits over the base of the plunger...

This makes it quite stiff to switch on, probably a good few pounds or more of pressure to switch on. Still only a few mill to momentarily then a stiff push to click it. I would be happy to throw! Into my work tool bag and not fear it coming on... Got rid of most ping also... But not all of it.....

Will try to get some pics up latter....

All in all, not as nice as a surefire switch but not far off...... 😀
IMG_20220707_101101310.jpgIMG_20220707_101047023.jpgIMG_20220707_101030298.jpg

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Is it an actual name brand McClicky made by Don Mcleish? Or is a knock off one like lumens factory? McClicky is my all time favorite switch. Never had one issue
You just accused us with making knock-off McClicky switches on that statement with zero facts supporting your claim.

All our McClicky switches are in fact imported directly from the US and are the same exact genuine McClicky switches that other sellers sells such as Oveready, Malkoff, Illumn, etc.

That is the reason why "NutSAK" at the 6th post say he can't see any difference on the ones we sell and the ones others sell.
It is because they are the same exact thing.

I would be happy to provide Purchase Invoices and even my source in the US to CPF Moderators if I need to prove myself further.

Thank you.

Croquette

Enlightened
I have a lot of Lumens Factory, Oveready or malkoff stuff.
I have had zero fail with my mcclicky.
With the battery oring and hard press boot, it's the perfect switch up to 5A.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Honestly I thought this thread was just meant as a joke. I have never had a mcclicky fail and till now never heard of problems With them.