McClicky switch in Solarforce L2?

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
I have read mixed statements on how well the McClicky switch assembles drop into Solarforce lights. The switch in my L2P is really flaky and I want to try a McClicky. Just curious what is involved? Some say it is a drop in part, others seem to make adapters, I seem to recall that Overready had made or was going to make a ring for the Solarforce tail assembly that would allow the McClicky switch to work in the Solarforce hosts.

With the most recent Solarforce hosts how big a job is it to use a McClicky switch? I have both the stock tail cap assembly and the S10 tail cap if that matters.

Thanks all

m4a1usr

Enlightened
It all depends on which SF tailcap you have as to whether its a straight drop in process. If you look at the "Show your Solarforce" thread here on CPF you can see some of the various TC's if you are not sure what model you have. Budget light forum has a decent thread from member Hemi that is probably the most complete SF TC models and he has pics of them disassembled. Regardless of all of the above, it pretty much doesn't matter which model SolarForce you have as I have 4 different SF tailcaps and each one has been modified to accept a McClicky or a Judco. The main issue is having the right spacers (if needed) and whether you need a custom threaded adapter. Not all SF tailcaps are 7/8-20 threaded inside. The ones that are can be modded to use the McClicky kit.

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both, I will contact Vinhnguyen54, I looked for the post by Hemi and all I found was a tear down of the various models. Is there a different thread I should try to find?

thslw8jg

Enlightened
There is a Solarforce McClicky mod tutorial on Brightsides Forum. Do a search in that forum for A Solarforce McClicky mod. Most only require the McClicky switch and not the entire kit used for Surefire light mods.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I find that the reverse clicky sold on solarforce website do the job very correctly if you don't go over ~3A.

Apart from that, and more on topic, I've put McClicky's on several different Solarforce tailcaps. Some were direct replacement, others were a bit more complicated to fit without shorting them, or having them at the right distance from the battery and the rubber cap, but it wasn't very complicated to sort problems out.

Now what is the exact part number of your L2P tailcap?

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
I find that the reverse clicky sold on solarforce website do the job very correctly if you don't go over ~3A.

Apart from that, and more on topic, I've put McClicky's on several different Solarforce tailcaps. Some were direct replacement, others were a bit more complicated to fit without shorting them, or having them at the right distance from the battery and the rubber cap, but it wasn't very complicated to sort problems out.

Now what is the exact part number of your L2P tailcap?

Thanks, I have three stock L2P tailcaps as they came with the lights and one S10 tailcap that I ordered for my edc light.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I answer from memory, since I don't have my Solarforce parts handy ; I think the tailcap assembly that comes with the L2M is the easiest to mod, so the S10 is very similar and the McClicky should be a direct replacement.
I remember the "hardest" (all things considered) was a blue L2P that had a tailstanding tailcap, but I wasn't able to find the exact part number on their site, sorry. Talcaps with inox part were also a bit more difficult, but nothing exceptional.

All things considered, it won't be a difficult mod, at worst you'll have to find a small spacer or gasket to prevent the switch to be shorted, and/or to cut the small silicone bit in the tailcap boot to adjust it at the right distance. Good luck ;)

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
I answer from memory, since I don't have my Solarforce parts handy ; I think the tailcap assembly that comes with the L2M is the easiest to mod, so the S10 is very similar and the McClicky should be a direct replacement.
I remember the "hardest" (all things considered) was a blue L2P that had a tailstanding tailcap, but I wasn't able to find the exact part number on their site, sorry. Talcaps with inox part were also a bit more difficult, but nothing exceptional.

All things considered, it won't be a difficult mod, at worst you'll have to find a small spacer or gasket to prevent the switch to be shorted, and/or to cut the small silicone bit in the tailcap boot to adjust it at the right distance. Good luck ;)

Thank you.

Sounds very doable, I'll need to get some of these ordered then.