McCLicky switch removal problem from C-Pak

nfetterly

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Hmmm, emailed Don about this earlier - should have posted here instead in case someone has had problem like this. I did search.....

I have a C-Pak (clicky pak for LS20 / LS27) and earlier this week it would only light my LS20 if fully depressed. Tried it a day or two later on my LS27 and it would not light anything, and wouldn't light any of the LEDs on the LS20 either at this point. The C-Pak is coated (AlTiN), but I don't remember having an issue before. So presumably the mcclicky is shot - I need to order one for an aleph tail, so I was going to put this in the aleph tail just to ensure it was dead (then do I order 2 or 3?). Enough rambling.

Problem - pulled off boot and I can only turn the McClicky 1.5 revolutions then it stops. This isn't my first mcclicky - what the heck am I missing?

McGizmo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
In your e-mail you mention driving the McClickie out using a tool in just one of the drive holes. If you have some needle nose pliers or beefy tweezers which can allow you to use both drive holes and get a balance of force relative to the Z axis you should be able to unscrew the switch completely. You might also try initially to just tighten the switch firmly in place and see if that changes the behavior. I am surprised that you could initiate removal by virtue of using only one drive hole and wonder if the switch was a bit loose? To function properly, the switch must be snug in the pak and clear of anything that might electrically insulate it from the pak where it makes the ground path contact. At any rate, if it turns out you have a bunk switch, let me know and we will get a new one to you.

fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Banned
I just use a small pair of needlenose pliers to tighten/loose my McClicky switches. Since the tips of the jaws aren't perfectly round they do dent the plastic around the driver holes a bit, but it makes no functional difference at all. If you don't want to risk even that much "damage", you can go to a craft store and buy a pair of wire-bending jewelry pliers, which have cylindrical jaws.