Mcclicky work in a Z59?

glazer1972

glazer1972

Newly Enlightened
Can a Mcclicky be used to rebuild a Z59 housing?

glazer1972

glazer1972

Newly Enlightened
I can’t believe no one’s tried this. I guess I’ll have to give it a go.

knucklegary

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know z58/59 has same threads so should work fine with no issues

electromage

electromage

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Did the original switch fail or are you trying to improve the conductivity? If it's just broken SF might fix or replace it, it should be under warranty. You could also get a Z41 or LF tailcap.

knucklegary

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Threads are the same, however, appears Z58/59 are deeper than Z41. Not being threaded deep enough for McClicky brass ring to apply pressure to the rubber boot (I think not making it waterproof is the issue) If that's the case it should be easily remedy with a fiber washer of correct thickness

Athough, instead of destroying a valuable Z59, I'd go along with Electromage and buy a Lumens Factory Z41 with McClicky installed

a1sealbeach

a1sealbeach

Enlightened
knucklegary explanation is correct.

Once you open the top of Z58/59 ( I used snap ring plier), you can remove internal part easily. To use McClicky as replacement part, you need to modify McClicky switch. Take off outer brass or copper ring 1st. Take measurement of internal diameter of rubber boot. Cut off top half of McClicky plastic thread so it can be pushed further into boot. You need very thin conductive washer which diameter is same as inside diameter of Z58/59 and center hole diameter is same as bottom of McClicky so switch can sit top of washer.
20211101 094029

Once you remove old switch out, put washer from top so washer can seat on small ledge inside and McClicky switch next and closed top. I used whatever available in my garage so washer look weird but as long as measurement is correct, it should work. I also use hand tools to cut off on top part of McClicky, it is very rough look. I put the unmodified switch to compare.

Now I fixed partially work Z59 and also I can use this Z59 with higher amperage required drop-ins which were make original Z59 clipping.

glazer1972

glazer1972

Newly Enlightened
Did the original switch fail or are you trying to improve the conductivity? If it's just broken SF might fix or replace it, it should be under warranty. You could also get a Z41 or LF tailcap.
The rubber cover on the Z59 wore slap out. I bought a Mcclicky equipped Z41 and much prefer the clicks of it over the factory Z59.

J

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 new Z59s (still in package) and another one out of package that sit in my safe but find the mcclicky upgrade for the Z41 (have 2 different sensitivity in different Z41 set ups) still to sensitive. My issue with the Z59 is no shroud around it to prevent accidental turn ons and no tail stand.

I just use a Malkoff MD tailcap on my C/P series Surefires. I also find the Malkoff tailcaps a lot less bulky than Z48/Z49 which I think have the perfect "click" feel but at the expense of bulk and well price.

a1sealbeach

a1sealbeach

Enlightened
The real merit to use Z58/59 would be simply keeping original look over McClicky installed Z41 and MD tailcap. I think there are few more Z41 compositable tailcaps but I like Cryos tailcap too. Now I know how to replace worn internal switch with McClicky switch, so I have more choice than replace with something else. Having choice feels good always.