• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McE2S (two stage switch) discussion- II

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Guys,

This thread will serve as a continuation of the Original McE2S discussion thread . If you have any questions, comments or observations regarding any of the two stage switches, feel free to post here in stead of starting a new thread. I will "sticky" it so it isn't lost. There is a read only thread on pricing and information HERE .

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The master is doing the housecleaning himself because his lazy co-mod forgot about it ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,
You more than have your hands full in the laser forum!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif No good deed goes unpunished! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

EDIT: As a feeble attempt to provide on topic content, there is a variation of the original McE2S standard tail cap that the shoppe will be offering here shortly. I have no idea what it should be called but it is a standard cap with the guard buzzed off and the FT membrane and trigger switch guts. Think of it as a FT that has the knurled wide body for tab mounting as well as syringe grip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Some of these caps in some flavors will be getting scarce as time goes on and since I have to order a min of 500 of these at a time, it is unlikely that the inventory will ever return to the diversity that is now present.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
any pic? sounds like a very very nice idea ... maybe the most useful to date! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
order sent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
bk

McGizmo

Flashaholic
greenLED,

For a while there, I was using the Z57 shell to host the 2 stage guts but of course you lost the clickie feature. Now that I have my own shells, it doesn't make sense to ruin a perfectly good Z57. You only save $10. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Short answer: Not that I know of.

Bernhard,

Below are some parts soon available on the shoppe:

flared-tubes.jpg

some examples:

flare-examples.jpg

Please don't be contacting me for these loose parts as I am getting bogged in stuff I have to get done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I will probaly close down my "custom build services" in a few days so I can attend to matters that need to be attended to. I can build and sell some switches based on the new FT and this "Shortie" shown above. I have a few "unique parts" that I would like to build out and sell prior to Maui but I'll have to see how the time works out. Thanks for your understanding on this guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is just awesome Bud !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
bernhard

wquiles

Flashaholic
Don,

I have a 1xcell Vital Gear on top of a KL4 head. It is a very small combo, but almost a tad too short in my hand, so I am considering a longer body that would take a Pila 150s (I think that is your 1x17500 body is for, right?). So I am considering a package that you list as your KL1 host:
HA-Nat 1x123 pak, SF CR123, HA-Nat McE2S(15 ohm). I have a few questions:

- what would be a reasonable value resistor for the KL4
- can I get the 1x7500 body instead of the 1x123?
- will these be available with any of the stype switch tops, including the new one shown in the pictures above? (not in a hurry, I can wait until you are back from your trip)
- Do I still have a choise of the two colors (NA and Black) as shown above?

Any other suggestions that you might have?

Thanks in advance,
Will

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Billson,
It is a CR2 pak

wguiles,

I don't know what the appropriate resistor value would be but I would guess 10 or 15 ohms. All of the switch caps are available and there is an additional variation where the rubber button is used on the new chopped shortie cap which gives you a bald or exposed button. At present I do have all of the parts in both colors, including a few 1x17500 paks in Nat. (yes, this is the one for the Pila 150s)

akula88

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
some examples:
flare-examples.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I double-checked the previous posts (including the FAQ), the more I'm confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Does FT stands for "Flared Tailcap" or "Flat Top"?

What are the designations for the left (Natural/KL4) and the right (Black/Aleph2)?
Bernie: Thnx for pointing it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Please rundown all the tailcaps again for dummies like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey Johnny ... this right vs. left thing ... quite complicated, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Don't we all love Don's nomenclature? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FT is the "Flat Top" Tailcap, I do not know the official name for the New Tailcap ...

bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Johnny,
Here is an expanded layout of the line up and I have added it to the Aleph Tailcap (McE2S) thread :

tailcaps-primary-new.jpg

Now all of these variations have come about because I was foolish enough to try to accomodate various requests that have been made to me. If you consider 6 versions X 2 colors (don't even mention raw Al) and add to that, the resistor combinations, is it any wonder that many can't figure out what they want!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

There is a very good chance that many of these if not eventually all of them, once sold out, will not be available again. I need a vacation from this and you guys certainly need a vacation from me!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
Don,

This last post with the 6 variations was what I needed.

I definitely want the FT (flat top). Can I also order the spare parts to convert this to a "normal" Bald unit? How much would that be?

I will order the McE2S with the 15-Ohm and order the 30-Ohm extra PCB so that I can experiment somewhat.

Lastly, do the new flared bodies shown above available on both the 1xcell and the 1xPILA? Both colors? I want to order one of each, but don't know what is available.

Thanks in advance,
Will

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Will,
I am trying to support the shoppe when it comes to parts as I am not really set up to sell loose parts. I am offering complete switches but I have not come up with a price list for each individual component. The "flat top" versions use a different main body and button and shorter screw than the switches with the rubber boot that sticks out. It is possible to completely strip one down and convert it to another as well as it is possible to take out the jam nut from the switch shell and exchange the rubber boot with the flat membranes but it is not a quick process?!?! If I can get caught up on orders already placed and builds in the cue as well as some designs that must be finalized before I go to Maui, I will try to come up with a more comprehensive break down on the switch system and get with Wayne to see how or if the seperate components can be made available. In the mean time, I would like to side step this if I can! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Regarding the tubes, There are two tubes now available with a flared tail. One is a single CR2 (not CR123) tube and the other is a 2x123 or 1x Pila 168s tube. At the moment, these are available in both HA-Nat and HA-Blk (dark slate gray) They can be had from the shoppe. If someone is buying a light or switch from me and would also like to get some tubes in a consolidated order, I will be willing to work with you on this. I do encourage using the shoppe though as much as possible as that is what it is here for and I am trying to get the bench clear so I can disappear in a couple weeks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
Don,

OK - I did not realized that switching between one and the other was a little bit complicated/time consuming. I will stick to the Flat Top for now.

What do you mean by using the shoppe? Is emailing you only works for a complete light with accesories? My apologies for the newbe questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Will,

I realize it is all confusing and I am sorry about that. In general, I am trying to limit my "exposure" to building custom configurations as well as working on new designs and keeping these components in the flow of production and getting them out to the shoppe as well as the other ALeph builders. Since I do have all of the parts (usually), if I am doing a build for someone or selling them a complete tail cap switch, it is only reasonable to provide any other parts or components that I can so that a "one stop" solution is available. I hope that anyone wanting or needing any of the stuff I am involved in can get it as painlessly as possible! When it comes to turnkey lights or loose parts, the Shoppe is the best solution at least in intent and by design. When it comes to custom lights, I want to support the other builders as much as possible and I hope you guys will do so as well. We (of the Aleph group) are all individuals but try to work as a team so that more people can be served than would be the case if just one of us were trying to do it all. I don't know if that makes sense or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Catman,

The Standard Flat Top can also host H3 vials in the same knurled area as the Standard. I actually milled a couple prior to anodizing with a single vial opposite the tab mount. Availability and custom requests are not real viable as I can't send caps in one at a time for anodizing without the price going through the roof! It is possible to add vial slots to the black caps after they have been anodized and them using the Sharpie for instant anodize. I have tried to be accomodating in requests for H3 vials but when I get a request for a special cap, it really is a PITA to set up my funky mill and do a single cap. Set up time for one part is time consuming and a real looser, from my perspective.

When I return from Maui, I would like to focus on offering completed lights and caps, as is, and back more away from the custom build to suit; deferring that work to the other builders. I just got 16 unique colored battery tubes back from the plater yesterday and I have no idea when I will be able to find the time to make these available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Unique tubes ... right now Don, right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Added your Aleph Tailcap Guide to the FAQ and Aleph parts thread, so that now we have a common nomenclature and all is well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bernhard

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic, Don!

I've got an SFT shell ordered from the Shoppe, but I now think I may also need to get a switch kit. In the tailcap order/info thread, it wasn't clear to me which main body switch component is used in the SFT. I thought it was the standard one and not the "hair trigger, shortened button" one. In your picture, though, it looks like the SFT has the same button as the FT.

Judging from the picture, it looks like the SB and the SFT use the same shell and it's the switch component that makes them different. Or am I just confused as heck?

I think what we need is a "I want one of everything" button on the Shoppe!