McGizmo - 2018

R

Rusdon

Newly Enlightened
Don,

how do you go about ordering a torch? Love the design.

fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Banned
I see people are still asking for a new LunaSol. Can't say I blame them. The LS20 was the first McGizmo I bought, I still have my LS27, and I modded quite a few of them to have extra brightness modes. But I know Don doesn't want to dig up the obsolete (even if still cool) PD design that the Lunasol was based on.

However, there's a different solution that could provide even better flexibility than the LunaSol design, if Don is willing to consider it: An aspheric light with an adjustable focus. It would require separate fore and aft sections of the head, both threaded to allow precise adjustment of the beam focus, and an additional O-ring outside the threads to keep water out, but those are hardly unique problems. It wouldn't be significantly longer than the Haiku either, since the space occupied by the aspheric lense would be comparable (or even somewhat less) than the space occupied by the Haiku's reflector. It would only be longer than the Haiku when the focus was adjusted to its tightest, throwiest position. And an adjustable aspheric head would be 100% compatible with the current design of McGizmo Clicky Paks.

An adjustable aspheric light combined with a multi-brightness driver would be the most flexible McGizmo ever built, even more than the LunaSol, if Don could be persuaded to offer one.

M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see people are still asking for a new LunaSol. Can't say I blame them. The LS20 was the first McGizmo I bought, I still have my LS27, and I modded quite a few of them to have extra brightness modes. But I know Don doesn't want to dig up the obsolete (even if still cool) PD design that the Lunasol was based on.

However, there's a different solution that could provide even better flexibility than the LunaSol design, if Don is willing to consider it: An aspheric light with an adjustable focus. It would require separate fore and aft sections of the head, both threaded to allow precise adjustment of the beam focus, and an additional O-ring outside the threads to keep water out, but those are hardly unique problems. It wouldn't be significantly longer than the Haiku either, since the space occupied by the aspheric lense would be comparable (or even somewhat less) than the space occupied by the Haiku's reflector. It would only be longer than the Haiku when the focus was adjusted to its tightest, throwiest position. And an adjustable aspheric head would be 100% compatible with the current design of McGizmo Clicky Paks.

An adjustable aspheric light combined with a multi-brightness driver would be the most flexible McGizmo ever built, even more than the LunaSol, if Don could be persuaded to offer one.

100% agree. An aspheric is a natural way to completely decouple beam profile and brightness which is the main point. Although I love high end titanium lights and do not plan to sell my ls20, for my edc needs I had to take another road and heavily upgrade a mechanically decent 16350 zoomie.

Never dared to suggest an aspheric to Don, though.

L

light-modder

Enlightened
I think aspheric lights are cool. I don’t have a Haiku yet but I will some day. I’m excited for anything new Don puts out too.

Also ma tumba any chance you can share some pictures of that light?

M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think aspheric lights are cool. I don’t have a Haiku yet but I will some day. I’m excited for anything new Don puts out too.

Also ma tumba any chance you can share some pictures of that light?

It is an ultrafire u-f10. I had it bored for 18350, swapped the led for nichia e21 3000k (9080), installed a custom lexel driver with bistro fm and use a plain mechanical tail switch

S

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don already makes an aspheric light, it is called the Sundrop ;)

Last edited:
M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don already makes an aspheric light, it is called the Sundrop ;)

I may be wrong but Sundrop is a spheric light, and hence optically inferior to the cheapest asphericals.

archimedes

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
From the original thread ...

.... This is about a new light I personally think is pretty cool but I also think it has a small niche of potential interest. It is essentially a Mule but with a bit more focus and more attention to color rendering at the expense of flux or lumen output....

The light engine has a Nichia 083 High CRI LED as the light source and this is the significant element.

SunDrop-Lens-1.jpg

So why the name SunDrop? Well need some kind of name first and foremost. I designed a custom sapphire lens to aid in condensing the flood beam of the Nichia and the intent is to get a drop of sunlight on the target when the target can't be viewed under the sun itself. The lens itself looks like a drop and the name just seemed appropriate if not to ambitious. :eek:

I don't think the design intent was "maximum lux" ... at least that is how I read it.

McGizmo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I may be wrong but Sundrop is a spheric light, and hence optically inferior to the cheapest asphericals.

The SunDrop lens is a plano-convex(spherical) lens of sapphire crystal. It is optically inferior to most lenses aspherical or not because the Sapphire is not as efficient in transmission of light as any decent lens material would be. So there is loss in efficiency to be sure. But is is significant? I leave that to the person making the judgment. Personally I prefer the scratch resistant and impervious nature of the sapphire crystal. I am not sure that spherical aberration in a lens used for the management of light for illumination is critical as it is in a lens used to focus light on an image plane in a camera.

M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been an owner of a sundrop for years and wanted to keep it to use with a uv pill. One additional advantage of sapphire is it transparency in the uv. But as far as edc light is concerned I think nothing compares to a good aspherical ZOOMIE. I would be really happy to see a high end light of this type.

Most people think that a zoomie is first and foremost a focused thrower with some capacity of having some flat medium wide beam. I disagree. In the zoomies I've upgraded i put the dedome leds almost flush with the lens, so that the wide beam is about 90deg. The narrow beam is not fully focused one now but it is that great tunnel of light that does not blind you reflecting from nearby objects or annoy people around you. I think this is what a zoomie should be

Last edited:
archimedes

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
I have a few of these (including a very high quality LensLight) but for my own personal EDC, I have found that specifically adjusting the focus is simply something I hardly ever find necessary.

That said, I probably have more lights readily at hand than most, and I typically carry an additional dedicated thrower on those occasions when that may be especially useful :)

M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, show me a cpf member for whom a single light is enough :)

As much as I like my 3000k 18350 zoomie I need something for daylight. And this is a e1e based mule with a 5000k aleph le. But it could be as well a mcgizmo mule had I bought one in the first place. I think one day I will

S

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I certainly learned something new today :)

fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Banned
I have a few of these (including a very high quality LensLight) but for my own personal EDC, I have found that specifically adjusting the focus is simply something I hardly ever find necessary.

That said, I probably have more lights readily at hand than most, and I typically carry an additional dedicated thrower on those occasions when that may be especially useful :)
You may find adjusting the focus to be hardly ever necessary, but the perennial interest in the Lunasol design (and the Cool Fall Tri-V) shows there are people who value having a floodlight, tasklight, and spotlight all in one package. The easiest way to achieve that is with adjustable-focus optics, hence my suggestion to Don; it combines a wide range of utility with a fairly simple design that Don prefers -- simpler, even than the PD switching mechanism he used to use. LED LENSER has been making adjustable-focus lights for over a decade now, but their lights are crippled by cheap aluminum housings and even cheaper electronics. I'd be willing to learn CAD to help make an aspheric Gizmo come to life, though I suspect there are plenty of other people on CPF who already have that skill.

Or who knows, maybe Don could partner with LensLight to get a ready-made head that's designed to fit McGizmo driver pills and E-size threading. That would be less work for him, but still a high quality product.

Last edited:
nbp

nbp

Flashaholic
Zoomies usually have so many artifacts and are plagued by ugly beam patterns. Having one worthy of the McGizmo moniker would be an impressive feat. The advantage in my opinion of the LS is that while it is not infinitely adjustable the beams are actually pretty good in both configurations vs. a zoomie with an ugly beam in nearly all positions.

M

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zoomies usually have so many artifacts and are plagued by ugly beam patterns. Having one worthy of the McGizmo moniker would be an impressive feat. The advantage in my opinion of the LS is that while it is not infinitely adjustable the beams are actually pretty good in both configurations vs. a zoomie with an ugly beam in nearly all positions.

I have some with absolutely perfect artifact free beams at any position and part of them are pretty solid mechanically. What is quite ugly about them is their appearance and tactile feel.

easilyled

easilyled

Flashaholic

In addition, a lot of overall output is lost using an aspheric conifguration especially when defocussed if I understand correctly.

McGizmo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
In addition, a lot of overall output is lost using an aspheric conifguration especially when defocussed if I understand correctly.
I made a lens based zoom early on and it worked pretty well but definitely loss as you pulled the lens away from the LED getting towards a collimated or focused image but with more and more light bouncing around inside and probably not getting out of the head. I think there was much less light loss with a reflector based zoom design I played with. I think if one had a good heat pipe and pedestal mounted LED you could have the option of a Mule with reflector dropped down and then a good collimated beam with pulling the reflector forward for image focus. In transition I would guess it would suck with artifacts prevalent. I wonder though if Mag would dust off their beam focus patent and claim infringement.

EDIT added:
I assume enough time has now passed that I can mention that Pelican had to fix their reflector in their M6 because one was initially able to fine tun the focus by adjusting the lamp or LED in or out of the reflector a bit. This was a result not by intent but just due to the geometry of the design. Mag took them to task. :rolleyes:

Last edited: