• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-PD questions

farmall

Enlightened
I have a McLuxIII-PD coming in the next few days and it doesn't have tritium in the piston. How much trouble would it be to add it? It doesn't have the slot.

Can I use rechargables in this light?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tritium is a pain in the ***. First the piston needs to have a slot. then if it does you need to acquire the correct size tritium tube and mount it with ultra clear clue.

If your piston doesn't have the slot add that to the list of things to do to make it happen. You MAY be able to acquire one from Don...maybe.

I have several Pd's and the presence of tritium on 2 of them is not a factor, the fact is, I don't rely upon the too small tritium marker to help me find a light. One of the ways I carry a PD is lanyard carry. In this mode it is much better to connect one of the tritium fobs they are much larger and more visible than the tiny trit marker on the tail, the are visible from a much wider angle as well.
Congratulations on your fantastic choice in a flashlight, it will serve you well for ears to come. Rechargeables are no problem.
Have fun.
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had great success with the battery station brand of 900Ma cr123's seen about half way down the page here:
http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm
Really the may cost a little more at $9.00 but they do just fine and seem to keep going and going.
Keep in mind that a "normal" cr123 holds about 1500 Ma. These rechargeables hold about 2/3'rds of that but at a slightly higher voltage. these top off at 4.2 volts.
I tend to prefer these over the generic versions.
Don't get me wrong I don't mind AW's stuff. I like to support USA business though so I have been buying my batteries from battery station.
BTW they sell the battery station brand of cr123's for $1.50 not bad and I have found them to be of a very high quality.
Either will work great with the PD.

If you are using a MIZER modded PD I recommend the NON rechargeable cell if you expect to be running in mizer mode, the increase in capacity will translate directly to much longer runtimes. This may also be true when running the stock PD when run on LOW. I am able to get many man hours of late night reading done when I use my PD as a reading light in mizer low it s amazing.
I am rambling now.
Just get the best batteries you can.

BTW I recommend that you buy at least 3 of the batteries. one in the light, one on charge and one ready to go into the light, the thing is that with these lithium cells they optimize after being taken off the charger and left to settle for some (24) hours. Besides carrying a spare is always wise you never know when you might find your self stuck underground for an extended period of time or in an elevator over night or ..well whatever buy at least three you will need 'em.
Yaesumofo

farmall said:
What do you guys recommend for rechargeables for the PD?

JeffN

Enlightened