• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-PD Upgrade

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never mind, I found the answer. Thanks.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope Jason doesn't mind, but I've been working on modding the Slate PD discussed in the OP. The original LED was swapped with a XP-G2 R4-5C and the reflector switched to a McR20S. The beam profile is as shown below - the picture is not representative of brightness as I just put the camera on auto exposure and it underexposed it and left it dark, but it give a good reference to the beam shape.

Slate_McLuxPD_Mod_01.JPG

Slate_McLuxPD_Mod_02.JPG

Geogecko

Enlightened
Not at all, Sean! Looking really good. Can't wait for the trit to come in and see how she looks. Been missing it, even though I've been using my backup, a Fenix P3D, but it's just not the same.

Appreciate the offer to work on this classic. It is going to be awesome having this a more up to date light.

Geogecko

Enlightened
I received my PD back from Sean today! Had to wait on the trit that he was installing for me on the piston, so it took a while.

I am extremely pleased with the mod. I can't believe the quality of light from the XP-G2 emitter. Even at 500ma, this thing puts the original LED to shame, but especially color. Color temp is fantastic, and just what I wanted. The light has a nice hot spot, with an amazing amount of side spill. I was surprised that the PD now out performs the Fenix P3D that I've been using for a few weeks now while the mod was being done.

I am considering a driver high level modification to either 750ma or 1000ma, but am going to give it some time at 500ma to see if I want to even change it.

Thanks for all the help and advice, and mostly to Sean for offering to upgrade this great light.
e4e5ydu9.jpg

ana3u2a4.jpg

Geogecko

Enlightened
Yes, I'm really impressed with the results. I hadn't been carrying this light for a while, so it was nice to breathe some new life into the classic design. Still hard to believe how nice that beam looks...

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geogecko, is that a titanium chain? where can I buy this?

Geogecko

Enlightened
Not titanium, unfortunately. I wasn't happy with the look of most Ti box chains, so decided to go with this sterling silver one from Jame's Avery. If you get one like this (its their largest box chain), have them put on their bigger lobster clasp, the one that comes with it is rather small. They also did it for free.

This was the best site I could find that had Ti chains, but I haven't ordered from them before. They seem to get good reviews. Although smallest box chain is 4mm.

http://www.titaniumkay.com/Chains-100408.html

fyrstormer

Banned
Your updated PD looks great with the new emitter and the blue O-ring. I replaced my O-rings with brown ones, because it reminded me of the color of leather and added a bit of "class" to the appearance, I thought, but they're also titanium so the overall finish is brighter than the anodized PDs in the first place.

Now I want to put an XP-G2 in my Ti-PD-S. Do you see what you've done? I hope you're proud of yourself. ;)

Also, I'm not a big fan of religious symbols, but that tritium-powered cross looks great.

Geogecko

Enlightened
Lol, sorry about that, man!

I am really enjoying the new LED. It's a lot warmer than than what was in there. I think you'd enjoy the upgrade, and if Sean offers to do it for you, I'd highly recommend it, he did an awesome job on mine. He even changed the trit out in the tube.

I also think I am going to attempt to up the high drive level to 750-1000mA when I get around to it. I ordered the resistors for both options, so just have to install them.

Thanks for the comment on the cross. I like the way that turned out too, but am going to use some titanium jump rings to allow the pendant to hang straight, just haven't got them yet.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Very interesting read. I have an Arc6 which is not a McGizmo, about as close as you can get I suppose, that does have a K2 but I wonder sometimes about dropping an XPG-2 in ... no easy reflector upgrade unfortunately so I'm not sure about the results. Still very cool to read how this turned out and definitely thought provoking.

I very much dig that tritium cross ... wouldn't mind one of those myself actually.

Geogecko

Enlightened
I love it, and have been using it with an RCR123A with great results. I increased the high drive level to 1000mA, and like that level, for the amount of time I usually use it on high, which isn't very often.

The Arc6 is a cool light too, I guess not quite as easy to mod though.

As for the Cross, I believe Steve Ku is still making them, look him up via Veleno Designs. Looks like they are out of stock right now, but coming soon. http://www.velenodesigns.com/?page_id=17

cy

Flashaholic
been needing to upgrade my PD for awhile .. just the right info needed

fyrstormer

Banned
Very interesting read. I have an Arc6 which is not a McGizmo, about as close as you can get I suppose, that does have a K2 but I wonder sometimes about dropping an XPG-2 in ... no easy reflector upgrade unfortunately so I'm not sure about the results. Still very cool to read how this turned out and definitely thought provoking.

I very much dig that tritium cross ... wouldn't mind one of those myself actually.
You don't need to replace the Arc6 reflector to use a different LED. The Cree XR-E was the only popular series of LEDs that required special optics to focus properly.