• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
over 40 emails in 5 minutes... to all those "i cant see 80 people buying these in a couple hours" You have 5 minutes!

number 12 (to post that i sent an email) :grin2:

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
I'm a believer now that when Don Ties a package together offering a desired light that they don't wait for those without minds made up and instant internet access. Do I still have time to order? Done, hopefully in plenty of time. Now the wait to see who gets the lights.

Steve

fyrstormer

Banned
Heh...funny you should ask...

If I hadn't won Item #7, I would put myself down for a definite "Yes" on this, but since I have an Arc6 and a LunaSol and a Nitecore EX10, and soon a PD-S...I'm content to let Don "innovate" for a while; the PD-S et al. will stand for a long time as the high-water mark of his design capability, in my eyes.

I have to admit I was tempted by the Haiku, especially as the price was going up and up and up on the PD-S, but in the end what did it for me was I really like the PD mechanism and the overall design that accommodates it. I dunno, I guess I don't really care if I have 2 modes instead of 3; the low setting is for me something I usually just skip right past on my way to the high setting, meaning unless it can do movie-theater low, it will never get used anyway -- and even then it would be useless to me anywhere except in a movie theater (I've never had trouble finding the bathroom at night). So, a 3-speed would just be something I'd have to click 3 times to turn on, instead of clicking twice; what makes PD so nice is I don't have to click at all, just push harder.

BSBG

Enlightened
So, a 3-speed would just be something I'd have to click 3 times to turn on, instead of clicking twice; what makes PD so nice is I don't have to click at all, just push harder.

You don't understand the Haiku UI - it has memory and comes on in the last mode you had it. So if you only use high, it functions as a single mode light - on, off, always high. You have to rapid press to change levels so it's even easier than a PD.

That said, I think I prefer the PD myself as I use low a lot :devil:

fyrstormer

Banned
You don't understand the Haiku UI - it has memory and comes on in the last mode you had it. So if you only use high, it functions as a single mode light - on, off, always high. You have to rapid press to change levels so it's even easier than a PD.

That said, I think I prefer the PD myself as I use low a lot :devil:
I see; I wasn't aware it had a last-mode memory. That makes it better.

I'll buy one as soon as it's available with a metal button with a tritium marker in it. :devil:

Anyway, back to the original topic, I just noticed this was a feeler for a twisty, not a PD, and I have to admit I'm confused about the interest in a twisty-only light. If you want a twisty, buy a PD and never use the button. Problem solved!

ibcj

Enlightened
Anyway, back to the original topic, I just noticed this was a feeler for a twisty, not a PD, and I have to admit I'm confused about the interest in a twisty-only light. If you want a twisty, buy a PD and never use the button. Problem solved!

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer the simplicity of the twisty only III-T. It is slightly shorter than the PD an LS-20, which I also prefer. While the piston is a great design, it is also an entry point for lint, dirt, etc. and when submerged in water you are relying on the o-rings in the piston to keep water out.
I also prefer lights without trit and the original III-T had none.

The III-T was my first titanium light of the several dozen that I've owned over the years, and still the only one that I would really love to see re-released with today's leds. In today's ever changing (advancing) times of flashlights with fancy features, multiple light sources/color temperatures, there is still a place for the simplicity and elegance of the III-T (at least in my mind :tinfoil:).

fyrstormer

Banned
I can only speak for myself, but I prefer the simplicity of the twisty only III-T. It is slightly shorter than the PD an LS-20, which I also prefer. While the piston is a great design, it is also an entry point for lint, dirt, etc. and when submerged in water you are relying on the o-rings in the piston to keep water out.
I also prefer lights without trit and the original III-T had none.

The III-T was my first titanium light of the several dozen that I've owned over the years, and still the only one that I would really love to see re-released with today's leds. In today's ever changing (advancing) times of flashlights with fancy features, multiple light sources/color temperatures, there is still a place for the simplicity and elegance of the III-T (at least in my mind :tinfoil:).
I guess I can understand the simplicity factor. As for the concern about lint/water entry, I doubt it's more than a cosmetic issue because Don goes scuba diving with his PDs and people have run them through the washing machine a few times, all to no ill effect. The rings, if properly greased, shouldn't allow entry of anything unless you drop it to the bottom of the ocean.

Maybe you can get MillerMods or someone like that to retrofit your old McLux3-T with a new LED. It can't be that hard, as long as the new LED has similar current and voltage ratings.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I still have some "x2" converters but not a lot of them. I don't envision moving forward on the "x2" platform because these converters were all great and useful designs provided by Wayne Y and at this point, it is pretty clear to me that I need to seek driver solutions elsewhere. Please don't try to read anything into this statement beyond what I have said.

I could and even might consider a twisty design down the road but it isn't in the works at present. The motivation would be that of simplicity and further reduction in points in ingress for the external environment. However as fyrstormer has commented, properly maintained seals can and do provide a seal.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey Morelite, good to see you around!

Just a reminder that sales should be handled in the WTS area of the Mall. Thanks!

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much where the original ones at time of release I know I got mine much later and had to give up six bills for it?