Md2 vs Mdc

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give me a M91B 18650 (900 - 1,000 lumens) and get the M61HOT up into the same range (specs like this sub $100 light) and I'll be happy. It obviously can be done.

On the other hand, big smiles for the Bodyguard v.2 at over 1,000 lumens from a 16340 and the overall performance and quality the Hound Dog Super brings to the table. It's really just the M61 modules that are sucking wind in terms of performance.
Yep, that would be nice.

Yes, we need to keep those in mind too. Don't forget about the HD18650, it's been in need of an driver update for a while too imo.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
following up here guys

just sent my info to infrnl for my new md2/22.3/hilo/tricap/m61n:cool:

im pretty pumped

daffy

Enlightened
I run 2x18350 in my MD2(M61T) as i'm not concerned with runtime.
The 18650 would see approx 10% loss in lumen but much longer runtime (i have other lights for long runtimes hence the 2x18350 setup).
The lights have a hidden X factor that i cant explain, also have a bodyguard v1 and both lights just fit my hand so well.
More $$ later in the year will see more Malkoffs added to my collection

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I really like my M61T. It's got more reach then the standard M61 and I like that. I'm very tempted to try the M91T. I'm thinking that would work great for me as it's just a M61T on Steroids. And yes you can definitely see the output difference on this bad boy going from two to one lithium ion.Its quite a big difference to my eyes.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
M61T (350 lumen version) on a single 18650 vs. M91T and M91B on a pair of 18500s. Exposure manually set on the M91T;

beamshotm61t.jpg

beamshotm91t.jpg

beamshotm91b.jpg

The impressive little Bodyguard v.2 on a 16340;

beamshotmbgv2.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh! Thank you for that!

I'm thinking that the 91T would work great for me.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
following up here guys

just sent my info to infrnl for my new md2/22.3/hilo/tricap/m61n:cool:

im pretty pumped
Sweet man, I have the exact same setup in the mail minus the dropin(as I already had it[emoji16]). Not sure what I will throw in it first but, I am excited too. We should compare thoughts when they arrive[emoji106].

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet man, I have the exact same setup in the mail minus the dropin(as I already had it[emoji16]). Not sure what I will throw in it first but, I am excited too. We should compare thoughts when they arrive[emoji106].

Sounds like a plan brother :thumbsup:

daffy

Enlightened
M61T (350 lumen version) on a single 18650 vs. M91T and M91B on a pair of 18500s. Exposure manually set on the M91T;

beamshotm61t.jpg

beamshotm91t.jpg

beamshotm91b.jpg

The impressive little Bodyguard v.2 on a 16340;

beamshotmbgv2.jpg

Hmm bgv2 head on the rcr sounds nice

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys have ways to measure lights, im not buying that you have an 18650 light that has flat output, especially if it is high output.

Examples?

I'll have to see if I data logged my zebra, that may have been before and lost in a notebook.

As far as I'm aware, most others step down quickly then decline as any other light.

Not saying malkoffs have the best runtime but not the worst either. I like malkoffs cause they don't drop half their output after a few seconds

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Not saying malkoffs have the best runtime but not the worst either. I like malkoffs cause they don't drop half their output after a few seconds

Ditto, that along with the superb quality and reliability.

For the way I use my lights, extended runtime (beyond an hour) is not a primary consideration. The ability to tail stand is total non-requirement for me. For runtimes I go by the excellent graphs you have provided to give me an idea of what to expect with different configurations.

IMO, the only two stand-out MD2 lights that give good performance with a single 18650 are the M61HOT and HD 18650, though both could use a bump at this point. A M91-18650 would be a welcome addition.

As long as we're doing the Malkoff wish-list thing, here's what's on mine;

1. M91-18650 to produce 1,000+ lumens
  2. Bump to M61HOT to 1,000+ lumens continuous (ditto the M91T)
  3. Bump the HD 18650 to 1,500+ lumens
  4. A semi-shrouded version of the straight MDx tailcap (like the SF tailcaps)
  5. Multiple versions of the high/low switch (maybe three total) with different resistor values
I don't think any of these would be difficult to do (especially the last two).

thermal guy

Flashaholic
" IMO, the only two stand-out MD2 lights that give good performance with a single 18650 are the M61HOT and HD 18650, though both could use a bump at this point."

If your taking about his higher output lights maybe. But all of his L ,LL give outstanding performance on a single 18650.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I guess I'm not understanding what you mean then. But it is early then😁

Do you say the M61 HOT is a good performer because of its output? Because that thing is a battery hog and won't keep full power as long as say a standard M61. Or am I completely off of what your saying?

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I guess I'm not understanding what you mean then. But it is early then

Do you say the M61 HOT is a good performer because of its output? Because that thing is a battery hog and won't keep full power as long as say a standard M61. Or am I completely off of what your saying?

Yes, output: 740 lumens/20,000 lux is good performance for a 6P size light, but still lagging. Bear in mind there are other U.S. made lights that double the lumens and exceed the lux by over 50% with a single 18650 cell, such as the SF Fury DFT and Modlite PLH.

Again, sacrificing output to achieve extended runtime (for the sake of this discussion let's call that more than an hour) or keeping a light CR123A compatible is not what I or many other users are interested in. This market segment is looking for (1) high output on a single 18650 cell; (2) a simple, nonprogrammable UI and (3) robust, high quality construction. Malkoff has the last two requirements covered perfectly, but is lagging in the output department in MD2 size lights as other manufacturers are finally abandoning support for the low-current CR123A.

One more I'll add to my wish list: a TIR lens, high-output head based on the Bodyguard step-down (take the M61HOT and let it run at 1,200 lumens and then drop back to 200-300 after eight seconds). At 4-3/4 inches long with a SF twisty tailcap running an IMR 18650, it would make for a very compact package;

flm61hot-2.jpg

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy knives, guns, and a small collection of flashlights for various tasks. I find the "lumen wars" a bit confusing. My MDC123, MD2 w/ hi/lo & M61/216V2, a HD18650, and a bedside 6p with Malkoff drop in will cover every need I will ever have. Malkoff's may appear to be a bit old fashioned.with respect to output but their toughness and build quality make me smile when I put one in my pocket.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree and 1000lm isn't way brighter than 7-800lm. Those high power lights also can't maintain that brightness for very long either, so a bit pointless imo. Good for quick bursts. That's my experience but i also don't venture into lights like some of you.

Last edited: