Melted My first reflector

Vairman

Newly Enlightened
Melted my first mag reflector today. I have a vintage Mag 3D running the Pelican Big D bulb with 7 2100 MH commercial NIMH's. Been having problems with the light fogging recently. Was using it alot today. After one long run I looked in and the reflector was all wrinkled. Disassembled and found that it managed to get it hot enough to melt the reflector and the spring of the cam pushed the reflector partly up into itself. Guess you really need those metal reflectors when you push it a bit.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're running the Big D 24 watt bulb? IIRC, mag's plastic reflectors have been tested to 10-15 watts, no more than that.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmm Hmm. Nerd is right.

Still, the first time I accordianed the cam cylindar into the reflector I felt a sense of accomplishment. So, congratulations on your reflector melt down. Welcome to the fraternity of HotWireGuys. I'll bet it was sweet for a while!

Vairman

Newly Enlightened
It is sweet in a sick perverted kind of way. Much more satisfying than instaflashing a light bulb. I knew I was over the top on the amount of heat generated but it was sooooooooo bright I couldn't stop myself.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
And so was Icarus' dilemma.

Seriously LMAO.

I guess you've already been advised to watch B/S/T and GB for an aluminum reflector. You might want to post a WTB in the BST. Maybe an empathetic member will help you out.

Raybo

Enlightened
Congratulations Vairman!
Nothing like the smell of burning plastic.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif