Members' experience by brand with leaking alkaline cells.

hsa

Enlightened
Fakespot reviews.
For Rayovac

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rich60

Newly Enlightened
Fakespot reviews.
For Rayovac
I have been told that LED Lenser will no longer honour the 7 year warranty if damage is caused by the Duracell batteries, Duracell has a million and one excuses why it not their fault that their crap batteries leak and destroy things.

The Hawk

Enlightened
Misery loves company. I see that I am not the only one that has discovered a leaky battery when I open a flashlight to check the batteries.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Misery loves company. I see that I am not the only one that has discovered a leaky battery when I open a flashlight to check the batteries.
You are definitely NOT alone, and are in good 'company'. That said, I am taking measures to try to ensure that I minimize such occurrences going forward. My use of alkaline cells is being dropped to at or near zero.

BTW, speaking of 'company', I accidentally moused over your 'avatar', and from what I can tell about what appeared, it seems you may be traveling in some fast company, and on exactly the kind of road(s) I seek out. I did the 6th grade in Morehead, but of course wasn't driving myself and don't remember much of the roads, but I'm sure you probably have some good ones around most areas of that state. Good on ya!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought these today, did not look at the bottom there, LOL, leak proof warranty, it says on a box, yea, sure.

Attachments

• IMG_5793.JPG
    IMG_5793.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5796.JPG
    IMG_5796.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 73

turbodog

Flashaholic

We need to consider that batteries might not leak more now than in the past... as things tend to improve over time.

The real root cause, and the one messing with our perception of leaking, is likely that we are older, have more items that take batteries, and are less attentive to each one as we have so many to pick from when we want to use something.

In other words, back when I literally only owned 1 flashlight (mag 2d) there was NO chance of leaking cells as I used the light all the time and replaced batteries frequently/promptly, giving them no time to leak.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
We need to consider that batteries might not leak more now than in the past... as things tend to improve over time.
Improve can mean many things. CFLs improved performance considerably in their early years on the market - lasting many years, available in a wide range of CCTs, with excellent fast starting ballasts that managed cold temperatures with ease. But the market was accustomed to $0.50 incandescent bulbs - and couldn't be bothered to consider TCO - so the singular focus of CFL producers was to improve the retail price. So they got cheap with predictable hits to performance - CCT selection shrunk, lifespans plummeted, and ballasts got crummy - all before LED bulbs were a thing.

My experience with alkalines has been that they've undergone a similar trajectory. They're immensely cheaper (accounting for inflation) now than in decades past, but that seemingly involved corner-cutting.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that batteries today leak more than batteries 20-25 years ago. however they did improve, old electrolyte was very corrosive, it turned springs into rust, today however, it is not as corrosive, i can pop off dried electrolyte and springs under it are as good as before.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say I've ever had a 9 volt battery leak.
I just had an Alkaline 9V do so.
It had a bulged bottom plate, that had not had enough time to extrude it's acids, even though it still was functioning.
This cell was one that had 6 smaller cells within, typical of many 9V designs. You can WIKI 9V cell designation make up's.
There are a few different 9V designation designs to research.

I have had in Date AA Alkaline cells leak within their packaging before expiration date.
I have had many different brands leak before they had expired their output, dead, and still were passing current to power the device.
I have only experienced one exception In my days and it has been the energizer industrials sold at grainger's. They have
not leaked once in my experience, even when they had been run dead.

To this, I now I will only keep Energizer Primary Lithiums, a NiMh, or rechargeable lithium based cell(s), like Pale Blue 1.5V,
in anything I do not monitor on a constant daily basis. Alkaline cells still have their place for cost effectiveness on devices that
consume them within a day or two and are constantly monitored changed.

Whether it is a +-$200 flashlight or a +$600 occasionally used multi-meter, I know from experience not to trust any Alkaline
cells and the fact they will leak. I remove the cells and monitor them within the device to avoid any possibility and potential
of them to destroying a good working device owned. I own too many unreplaceable devices, that out wiegh the costs of an
Alkaline battery that has potential of ruining it. I even have some that advent against using alkaline cells.

Just My take
GL

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just opened up one of those old single-use film cameras with flash, to look at the flash electronics. Camera was circa 2008 using one Ray-O-Vac alkaline AAA marked 2013 expiry. Cell was in perfect condition, no sign of leakage, slightly used and reads 1.49v open-circuit.

In my re-use of free alkalines over several years, I see leakages on all different brands but can't make any general statements on which are better or worse, except that premium brands at premium prices (if I were paying them) are right up there for leakage; above case being an exception.

Dave

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been having bad luck with Duracells. They leak no matter where they are at and I'm pretty sure one of the Duracell AAAs swelled up into one of my Maglite Solitaires and completely destroyed the LED. It seems they hate the heat/humidity.

The other cells just end up with white powder, mostly 2AA Kiddie batteries that were in an alarm. Cleaned up the powder and they work fine in a cheapo light. The alarm went unscathed with a bit of cleaning. Recently got a few Coast lights that used to have I think Duracell but have their own batteries. Still weary with alkalines in more expensive flashlights so I keep them out and use them in less expensive lights that I don't mind replacing. With Eneloops the expensive lights are safer with.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
In my experience, they all leak sometimes but Duracell to my mind seem worse. The only flashlight I ever lost to leaks was a 2 D Cell Maglite that had Duracells in it. They were stuck fast and no amount of good advice from you folks would work. It was toast. My fault for not checking more often. At the time my wife "knew" that they all looked like Maglites with a side on/off switch. So it was her "what was that" flashlight. She knows better now.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to laugh at the "Kingwolf" brand alkalines, that's what happens when the wolves get ahold of Imperial margarine :) . Of the two I've had so far, neither has leaked though!

Dave
When I say worse, I don't include the cheap no name batteries that are made in China and have names like "Lonlife" etc.
1688406599846.png

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are all waiting on our pursestrings.
The more they get American's to consider and purchase Foreign made Alkaline cells, the more we Americans will lose
in the long run. It's a vicious never-ending cycle, agugggh.
I hope everyone considers NiMH's or Lithium Primary cell's moving forward to avoid pre-mature failure of their
flash-lights due to only a leaking alkaline cell(s) where the damage's has, or may have, are ongoing, or already have
done. Dealing with aftermath of leakers in one of your lights, does not have to happen! I've dealt with Alki-Leakies
from my past experiences of 35+Years using Alkaline cell's. Please use diligence to avoid falling victim of Alki-leaker
Syndrome :D
GL