Metal detectors? Who makes a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in hunting meteorites, and after doing some research it seems that a halfway decent metal detector is invaluable. So....got any info?

nethiker

Enlightened
Some top names: MINELAB, Fisher, Whites.

I have an old Fisher that's been great. All detectors are not equal, some excell at finding certain types of objects. I would try before you buy as weight and ergonomics are very important to long-term enjoyment.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
Are the prices in these asociated sights the average price for a decent unit? Pardon my ignorance but I've always wanted a detector, but don't know anything about where to start.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geddinight said:
Are the prices in these asociated sights the average price for a decent unit? Pardon my ignorance but I've always wanted a detector, but don't know anything about where to start.

Kellyco (the link I posted above) has a price guarantee...if you find a unit cheaper somewhere else, they'll (if I understand correctly) give you 110% of the difference in price if you buy it from them.

The units are quite expensive for good ones...you might want to check out some of the "treasure hunting" forums and get some opinions from meteorite hunters on there...what's good for one type of hunting (coins/jewelery) may not work well for other things.

Good luck...I'll try to find a couple of links and post them here...Here ya go...these are the two I use...

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/
http://www.treasurenet.com/

JM-99

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Whites used to sell detectors for gold nugget type prospecting, One thing I would look into is loop/coil selection for the detector you buy because it is almost as important to get the right one for what you are using. I have a bigfoot for my old 1990 Eagle SL detector and I can scan a field in about 1/3 to 1/4 the time it takes someone with a loop
and as most stuff is only buried about 4-6 inches around here I miss nearly nothing.
bigger loops get deeper and smaller loops can pinpoint inbetween other metallic objects that larger loops can miss.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
Metal Detectors

Anybody out there with some experience in metal detectors??? I am looking at a Minelab X Terra 70 and would like some educated opinions. What is a good all around MD and what brands are favored by the people in the know. Yea I know, it is another expensive hobby but what the hey you only live once as far as I can tell.

Gary:grin2:

Danbo

Enlightened
Tesoro is another great metal detector company. Fisher and Minelab are two of my favorites, though. Generally, I find Whites and Garrett to be way overpriced and overhyped. They make pretty good stuff, though.

One final note; I've never found a detector to consistantly find stuff deeper than my friend's Minelab.

Status
Not open for further replies.