jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Michigan get-together! MAY 14

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Hey guys,
Go easy on my prototypes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean yours? They were all raffled! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congrats to Mike have fun with your new U2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened

Man!! What a great Group that met together today in Michigan !!

Even nicer in person than on the Forum. It felt like I was talking with old friends in the first 5 minutes we were together.

Many thanks to you KSBMan for sweetening an already sweet pot o' prizes! You are one generous man!!! Remember me on that Arc LSH-P sometime *LOL*.

PJ- You gotta get all those pix up!! I'm gonna send a few to Surefire when you post them.

Don - I'll call you tomorrow about getting your 6 lights back to you. Is Type III hard-ano slobber proof? If so, your lights are in as good of condition as when you sent them. You could tell every attendee was walking with a little extra "CPF Swagger" having been in a small, elite group of mortals to be the first to see the likes of the "Piston Drive" and the "Heavy Duty 45mm". What a great supporter of CPF you are to entrust us with these priceless Prototypes!! I'll be glad when they're back in YOUR hands so I can breath easy again *LOL*!

Man!, it was SO cool getting to see lights I had only gotten to read about (If I find any scorch marks on the walls of my Lodge I'll know who's H.I.D. Thor is to blame [TwentySixTwo] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif), and even cooler the quality of the friends from the Forum I got to meet in person. I bet when people see P.J.'s pix next years will be 5 times bigger!!!
Thanks to all for attending,
- Russ

gl22man

Enlightened

WOW, where do i start? First of all thanks to Gander Man what a really nice guy, the lodge was very cool. This was my first CPF forum get together and it went very smooth and i had a great time. Oh and to jtivat and his wife thank you very very much, i love the U2 but JT you should have traded me that big ugly M6 thing that you had there for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif By the way JonSidneyB ended up making it there around 6:30 or 7 i guess. He sure is a very friendly guy. Heck we were actually having such a good time they had to make us leave so they could close,lol.By the way Jon brought a Pila gr2 and the 9 volt version of the light both had the led tailcaps and both were cool. Everyone who made it today was very nice and friendly you couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to kill a few hours with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh ya thanks to PJ for selling me those little energizer led accent lights.
Mike..

ksbman

Flashaholic*

I had a great time; it was really nice getting to know some other flashaholics.

Many thanks to PJ for putting this together and Gander Man for hosting it at his store. Also to McGizmo for sending along a few lights for us to look at. His two newest prototypes will be a big hit.

In attendance we had: PJ, Gander Man, ksbman, gl22man, jtivat and his wife, twentysixtwo, ccw529 and his wife, EdN, tysonb and his wife and son, JonSidneyB, and one other guy who didn't stick around and I forgot his name. He was happy to be there though, oh wait, that was a Lion Heart he had in his pocket.

Thanks to Surefire for donating three lights to raffle off. gl22man won the U2, twentysixtwo won the E2e, and Mike?, a store employee/flashaholic, won the E2L. I had a couple of 123 battery cases with 12 batteries left over from my Christmas give-away, which were donated by Amondo Tech, that I added to the raffle. Gander Man and EdN won them. PJ won a couple of SF P60 Lamps.

The only two people who were present for the raffle who didn't win anything were jtivat and me. And we were surprised that jtivat didn't win anything, as his wife was doing the drawing.

But for consolation prizes, for everyone, were some SF T-shirts, catalogs, and posters.

We had the drawing a little early, three people showed up after the drawing. We'll do a little better next time.

Everyone brought some unique flashlights to share. Gander Man's McGizmo collection is amazing. I had no idea he was such a major flashaholic. GM and gl22man carry their lights around in hard-sided rifle cases. Mine were just thrown into a shoe box. It was very humbling to see and hear from real flashaholics.

I am sorry to hear that I (and most others) left before JonSidneyB arrived. I would have liked to meet him. Hopefully next time there will be some more people there and we'll stick around longer. We didn't even go up to the darkened archery range and play with the flashlights.

All in all it was a great first get-together for me and I look forward to the next one.

PJ

Enlightened

Uh, yeah, about those pictures...

Well, I think I have everyone in them somewhere. I didn't get a group shot but maybe someone can photoshop one together. I was too busy looking at what everyone else brought. I'm still using dial-up so I can't post a bunch of them. If anyone wants to post some I can mail them a CD. I couldn't believe the variety of lights all in one room. From a Firefly to a HID powered Thor, we had almost every light mentioned on the forum. The McLux III Piston Drive is definitely the next generation of light. Operation was very intuitive, momentary low then high on the tail or constant on low then high with a twist of the head. The Heavy Duty 45 looks like it will live up to its name. Having a twist on low/high config makes this one feel almost indestructible.

gl22man, EdN and I were literally shutting off the lights and leaving when JonSidneyB showed up. He brought in a few Pila lights, batteries and a 3.7 volt bulb assembly for the E2 series of lights. Having gl22man's U2 and 2 Surefire display cases full of lights made it easy to test his batteries. He had a new style protected 123 cell he put in an E1e with the 3.7v lamp assembly. Man, that really woke it up! Output was pretty close to a 6P or an SL Scorpion. We found an L4 in the case and he fired it up on a 150s. I couldn't tell the difference in output from that and the 2 Surefire 123s. Thats what I call guilt free lumens. I hope I have the correct numbers for the batteries, please correct me if I'm wrong. He talked about a few lights they are working on that sound really interesting. One is a single 123 light that many CPF members are going to be rather pleased to see available.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened

First off, BIG THANKS to Ganderman for providing the roof, eats, drinks, and getting the Surefire swag. I'm still fondling the E2E and seeing spots in my eyes from some of the McLux protos, particularly the M6 with the crowd of Luxeons.

Really nice to put a face to all the names, sorry to have missed JSB, but my pass out of the asylum expires when my 2 year old has to get ready for bed.

Enjoyed being able to see the size and output of these fabled lights in person. Although I may have had the brightest (HID Thor) I certainly didn't have the nicest or the most flashlights. Those titles probably go to jtivat, GL22man or Ganderman.

My modded Q3 was a way to avoid hitting the "hard stuff" but seeing all the McLux's, LionHearts, Fireflys, etc will surely have an impact on my addiction. Any recommendations for a E2E upgrade? Anyone want to trade a McLux/McGizmo for a HID Thor?

Twentysixtwo - "Will work for light"

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
twentysixtwo said:

Twentysixtwo - "Will work for light"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought of a sign to print on a shirt...

"will mod for food"

But that would only make sense here.

Jeff

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

My brother, EdN, had a great time at the meet. He really enjoyed his first, overwhelming experience with these great lights. His internet connection is very slow, so he asked me to thank everyone.

Now he has to buy a light that uses those 123s or help me finish some of mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened

So...
Since things worked out so well last year, does anyone have any interest in firin' up this bad boy for another year *S*?
- Russ

PJ

Enlightened
Sounds good to me. I plan on heading to the Dayton Hamfest on the weekend of May 5 but any other should be no problem.

Any suggestions for the date?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in going. Still relatively new so I wasn't around for last year. Never knew it would be like this impatiently waiting for three flashlights and two mod parts being shipped to me all at once from five different places. The B/S/T forum will be my financial ruin.
<EDIT> Four lights actually... I need help.
<EDIT 2> Uh, make that FIVE lights and two upgrades. Somebody shoot me.

Anyway, I'm in. Keep me informed.

Mark
Farmington Hills, MI

Last edited:

MikeyTheBull

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't it be great if one of us had a connection to someone affiliated with the now abandoned Pontiac Silverdome? To be able to go into an enclosed space that large with no outside light would be really something. From the top of the third level down to the opposite end zone has got to be 150-200 yards, what a perfect place to test both the throw and flood of a light. Talk about some great beamshots we could provide. Oh well, a guy can dream....