Micro Keychain Light

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't go so far as to declare that all Nitecore lights are garbage. It's just that they've had a few more lemons than average. The EA4 was well received and mine still does just fine. The switch design was a little problematic, but they changed that for the EA41. The EC4GTS has been well received, a nice progression from the EC4GT (although parasitic drain is a bit high, so you'll want to lockout whenever possible).

I have personally seen way too many issues with Nitecore over the years. I respect your opinion but, mine is that they are one of the worst Chinese manufacturers. Personally, I would trust almost any other Chinese made flashlight brand over Nitecore(aside from Armytek). Its too bad too as they have some good ideas from time to time.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As the years have gone by, I'm literally down to only two Nitecore models. My first, which was one of the very last Nitecore EZAA models made before it was discontinued. It works. But too often it refuses to switch on in high mode if you rotate the bezel just a bit too fast. That makes it unreliable. I love the concept of the U.I., and my tiny Fenix UC02SS has the very same U.I. (only Fenix does it much better). The other being my last Nitecore purchase. The Tube.

Thing is, Nitecore makes certain lights that are similar to what Klarus, and Thrunite make. Yet, those brands don't seem to suffer from the same issues Nitecore does. I also own Klarus and Thrunite lights. Not a single issue with any of those.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to agree that ounce-for-ounce, it seems like Thrunite does a better job. I've gotten a few of their lights and I've been duly impressed for the price. The TH20 is a real sleeper (20% off $30 is quite decent for what you get), with nice ramping UI.

Well, I almost jumped on one of those holiday discounts for the TUP (bringing it down to $45 shipped)... but I'm going to wait it out and see how it pans out this year, with reviews after some months of usage. I'd like to see Nitecore make a few improvements, which I submitted to them -- most are in-line with what some reviews have already mentioned. If they come out with a 2020 model that looks like a worthy upgrade, then maybe I'll go for it.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Well, I almost jumped on one of those holiday discounts for the TUP (bringing it down to $45 shipped)... but I'm going to wait it out and see how it pans out this year, with reviews after some months of usage. I'd like to see Nitecore make a few improvements, which I submitted to them -- most are in-line with what some reviews have already mentioned. If they come out with a 2020 model that looks like a worthy upgrade, then maybe I'll go for it.

The TUP actually seems pretty good, but I've only had mine for a month now. Like some of the others mentioned, I'm a little wary of Nitecore products but this was an interesting offering, so I decided to grab one for myself in the midst of my online Holiday shopping.

Unlike some of the Tubes I've bought it the past it has survived an entire month, so that is a good start.

Overall it's an interesting design. Is it a huge keychain light? A small pocket light? It kind of falls into a unique niche, but for all intents and purposes it's basically a small pocket light. I can't see myself ever putting it on a keychain, but some might.

The battery life has been excellent and the UI is good. The form factor is definitely different; it's square shape is definitely a change from the usual cylindrical lights. There's no knurling, so it has a bit of a slick feel to it. But it's not a big light so handling it isn't troublesome.

However, I think the shape and slightly slippery feel makes it more or less a briefly used pocket flashlight. Not my first choice for something to grab for an extended trek in the woods, but for light pocket duty it works and so far I like it.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TUP actually seems pretty good, but I've only had mine for a month now. Like some of the others mentioned, I'm a little wary of Nitecore products but this was an interesting offering, so I decided to grab one for myself in the midst of my online Holiday shopping.

Unlike some of the Tubes I've bought it the past it has survived an entire month, so that is a good start.

Overall it's an interesting design. Is it a huge keychain light? A small pocket light? It kind of falls into a unique niche, but for all intents and purposes it's basically a small pocket light. I can't see myself ever putting it on a keychain, but some might.

The battery life has been excellent and the UI is good. The form factor is definitely different; it's square shape is definitely a change from the usual cylindrical lights. There's no knurling, so it has a bit of a slick feel to it. But it's not a big light so handling it isn't troublesome.

However, I think the shape and slightly slippery feel makes it more or less a briefly used pocket flashlight. Not my first choice for something to grab for an extended trek in the woods, but for light pocket duty it works and so far I like it.
That's good to hear you've seen excellent battery life on yours. I had been wondering about that parasitic drain, because there's no physical lockout. Yeah, this is not what I'd consider a keychain light... unless you carry a huge amount of keys.
7669663.png

Definitely more of a pocket-light in my eyes. With the button sensitivity, I'm assuming you'd have to carry it outside the pocket, or get used to continually locking/unlocking it. THAT I would find annoying, because the process isn't quick. The Nitecore TIP is actually pretty easy to lock/unlock, and pretty much mandatory to do if you pocket carry.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Approaching one month with my Nitecore Tube on my main keychain. So far.... still works.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to RESCIND my recommendation on the Nitecore TIP CRI. At least, the pre-2017 version (V1). That's the one I inadvertently bought. I wasn't aware that there were 2 versions out there, and that V1 was plagued with a parasitic drain and lockout bug. Well, I didn't notice any parasitic drain stowing the light in lockout mode, but then I hadn't owned this light more than a few weeks. What started to happen with mine was once in a while, when I'd come out of lockout, the light would default to the brightest setting. Then when I'd change modes, the light would just shut off and then be unresponsive... as if in lockout mode. Couldn't get it to "wake up", until I plugged it in via USB. That happened twice across 2 weeks, but then... it got worse. Now the frigging thing is dead. Charge indicators sure work, but main light does not come on.

I really like this light and I'm pissed to high hell that my 2nd one in a row is faulty (first one was DOA right out of the box). OK, it's pre 2017... So I'd be OK to take a chance with a 2017 model. Only, I don't want to have to pay for return shipping, get a refund, then pay for the V2. I should be able to get a direct swap, especially considering the inconvenience I've been put through. Yes, I got my TIP CRI on sale over the holiday, for $9 off the original price. But if I send this back on my own dollar AGAIN, and I've paid $8 to be deeply frustrated. Not good if Nitecore ever wants me to buy another of their lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have to RESCIND my recommendation on the Nitecore TIP CRI. At least, the pre-2017 version (V1). That's the one I inadvertently bought. I wasn't aware that there were 2 versions out there, and that V1 was plagued with a parasitic drain and lockout bug. Well, I didn't notice any parasitic drain stowing the light in lockout mode, but then I hadn't owned this light more than a few weeks. What started to happen with mine was once in a while, when I'd come out of lockout, the light would default to the brightest setting. Then when I'd change modes, the light would just shut off and then be unresponsive... as if in lockout mode. Couldn't get it to "wake up", until I plugged it in via USB. That happened twice across 2 weeks, but then... it got worse. Now the frigging thing is dead. Charge indicators sure work, but main light does not come on.

I really like this light and I'm pissed to high hell that my 2nd one in a row is faulty (first one was DOA right out of the box). OK, it's pre 2017... So I'd be OK to take a chance with a 2017 model. Only, I don't want to have to pay for return shipping, get a refund, then pay for the V2. I should be able to get a direct swap, especially considering the inconvenience I've been put through. Yes, I got my TIP CRI on sale over the holiday, for $9 off the original price. But if I send this back on my own dollar AGAIN, and I've paid $8 to be deeply frustrated. Not good if Nitecore ever wants me to buy another of their lights.

Well, guess that explains why my Nitecore TIP failed so utterly and miserably the very last time I tried to use it. Yes, it was an early model too. I mean, bad enough it needed to be locked out just to EDC the darn thing. But parasitic drain even when locked out?? I hope the idiot who designed the original TIP got fired. Though knowing Nitecore, they likely promoted him instead. :rolleyes:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now they ship with a plastic "Clip" thing too which is really just a cover for the switches so they won't come on even more????
The TINI is about the same too.
The TUP does seem to have a better lockout but is so big I can't really pocket carry it anyway,so I guess the best defense against Pocket Drain is to just make it too big for the Pocket!
Brilliant!
Why didn't I think of that?

Well, guess that explains why my Nitecore TIP failed so utterly and miserably the very last time I tried to use it. Yes, it was an early model too. I mean, bad enough it needed to be locked out just to EDC the darn thing. But parasitic drain even when locked out?? I hope the idiot who designed the original TIP got fired. Though knowing Nitecore, they likely promoted him instead. :rolleyes:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now they ship with a plastic "Clip" thing too which is really just a cover for the switches so they won't come on even more????
The TINI is about the same too.
The TUP does seem to have a better lockout but is so big I can't really pocket carry it anyway,so I guess the best defense against Pocket Drain is to just make it too big for the Pocket!
Brilliant!
Why didn't I think of that?
That new clip is indeed a shield to minimize button presses, but the parasitic drain in lockout is supposed to be addressed. The very early release supposedly reacted to button presses in lockout by causing the LED buttons to flash.

TBH, I didn't find doing lockout on the TIP CRI all that bad. You can press both buttons simultaneously with your thumb (if your hand is large enough). That's what I was doing and it worked quite well... until my light just up and died. Healthy battery, too... unless the indicators are lying.

I'd have been willing to pay another $10 for a monocoque body design, with rear screw hatch that hides the USB port. As it is, the port is badly exposed. I'm puzzled why Nitecore didn't even bother to provide some kind of rubber plug for it. And the two body halves don't join perfectly together. This could've been a fantastic light if just a little more effort went into the design. If the remedy to my situation is a refund, rather than replacement, I'm probably going to abandon this and look into something else.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well considering that the Tube which is a $10 light does have the USB port cover I never understood that either?
I found the lockout to be utterly useless as mine would ALWAYS turn on in pocket and I guess I just have too much going on in there but I can not carry the light without it turning itself on from lockout?
So the Clip thing might help me but mine were purchased before that "Feature" was released.

Love the idea but no practical way to carry it for me.

Like I said the TUP is pretty amazing but in no way a viable keychain option to me so I am not sure what to do with mine?

That new clip is indeed a shield to minimize button presses, but the parasitic drain in lockout is supposed to be addressed. The very early release supposedly reacted to button presses in lockout by causing the LED buttons to flash.

TBH, I didn't find doing lockout on the TIP CRI all that bad. You can press both buttons simultaneously with your thumb (if your hand is large enough). That's what I was doing and it worked quite well... until my light just up and died. Healthy battery, too... unless the indicators are lying.

I'd have been willing to pay another $10 for a monocoque body design, with rear screw hatch that hides the USB port. As it is, the port is badly exposed. I'm puzzled why Nitecore didn't even bother to provide some kind of rubber plug for it. And the two body halves don't join perfectly together. This could've been a fantastic light if just a little more effort went into the design. If the remedy to my situation is a refund, rather than replacement, I'm probably going to abandon this and look into something else.

My current favorite keychain light. 10180 battery is replaceable. USB charge. Perfect small size, two modes, and plenty of light on high.

MecArmy IllumineX-2 Ss
51Q-ikRuXML._SL1102_.jpg

Vemice

Enlightened
The TINI is quite a bit less likely to turn on in pocket. I know some have complained but it has a short 2 second delay and a Daylight or Demo mode which shuts off after 30 seconds. If left in lowest mode it would be unnoticeable in the unlikely event it came on.
The new TIP as far as I know does not have lockout, only the goofy clip.
The TINI output is crazy.
TIP, TUBE and TINI. The copper holds up very well.
5DSquKWl.jpg

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I should read this to my TINI and see if it makes a difference?

The TINI is quite a bit less likely to turn on in pocket. I know some have complained but it has a short 2 second delay and a Daylight or Demo mode which shuts off after 30 seconds. If left in lowest mode it would be unnoticeable in the unlikely event it came on.
The new TIP as far as I know does not have lockout, only the goofy clip.
The TINI output is crazy.
TIP, TUBE and TINI. The copper holds up very well.
5DSquKWl.jpg

Vemice

Enlightened
Maybe I should read this to my TINI and see if it makes a difference?
Couldn't hurt. Carried mine on keychain and loose in pocket with no problems. Of course, as I mentioned, if it did come on, I probably wouldn't notice. Only charged it once but it still has 3 flashes.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't hurt. Carried mine on keychain and loose in pocket with no problems. Of course, as I mentioned, if it did come on, I probably wouldn't notice. Only charged it once but it still has 3 flashes.

Well mine has and does too much.
Also don't you think that if it would turn on in pocket that it also could switch modes too?

Vemice

Enlightened
Well mine has and does too much.
Also don't you think that if it would turn on in pocket that it also could switch modes too?

Anything is possible. Just saying mine hasn't done that. To switch to other mode that stays on takes holding both button until it flashes. I guess if all boils down to probability.
I guess I will with draw my previous recommendation as it appears I am exception to the rule.
Sorry!!!

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
B&H gives away a free Olight I3E with purchases. I forwarded it onto my mother. She had it a few months when I flew out for a visit. She was proud to show me that it was on her keychain (ya know how moms are). When she went to turn it on it wouldn't. Installed a new AAA. Nothing. Tossed.

Not "micro" but I have couple Surefire Sidekicks on backorder from B&H. $29 ea. Free shipping. The Sidekick on my keychain has preformed well although it isn't used a great deal.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything is possible. Just saying mine hasn't done that. To switch to other mode that stays on takes holding both button until it flashes. I guess if all boils down to probability.
I guess I will with draw my previous recommendation as it appears I am exception to the rule.
Sorry!!!

Once on in any mode it just takes a quick press to change modes.

I am not suggesting anyone not get one but just know that they can turn on even of locked in your pocket.

The TUP on the other hand can not as I can not get one in my pocket in the first place!