Micro Keychain Light

Bretterson

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I've lurked around here some in the past, but this is my first time posting and I have a request similar to the OP.

I've been using a Photon Microlight II for years and it's been great, but there are so many great options now and I'd like to upgrade. Right now I'm primarily considering the Maratac Peanut 2, the Nitecore TINI, and the RovyVon A8. I'm pretty torn between these. I'm open to other recommendations as well.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• small... I want a keychain light, not a pocket light and I'm coming from a Photon light
• rechargeable
• I'd like titanium or steel, but it isn't mandatory as long as it's durable
• US made is a big plus, but not a must
• I like how bright the TINI is, but it isn't a must

I think that's all, so any input you guys have would be awesome.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
@xevious @Derek Dean Thanks for the kind words!

I also wonder if they're serviceable or not. I'd assume not, but until we get a definitive response from Rovyvon that's up in the air.
A rep. from RovyVon got back to me very quickly (which I always appreciate), and said the battery is not user replaceable.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
A rep. from RovyVon got back to me very quickly (which I always appreciate), and said the battery is not user replaceable.
Well yes, any soldered in battery will be declared as not user replaceable. That's a given. But the real question is, can THEY replace it if you send yours in!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yes, any soldered in battery will be declared as not user replaceable. That's a given. But the real question is, can THEY replace it if you send yours in!
The case looks to me like it just snaps together and is then sealed shut somehow.
So the question is has anyone seen or tried to open one up!
If they can be cracked open without damage and resealed then is the battery one that can be sourced somewhere outside of the maker?
I have a bad feeling overall and will likely not buy one if they can really not resurrect one just for a dead battery.

At least until I break down and just buy one of course,or more than one?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
The case looks to me like it just snaps together and is then sealed shut somehow.
So the question is has anyone seen or tried to open one up!
If they can be cracked open without damage and resealed then is the battery one that can be sourced somewhere outside of the maker?
I have a bad feeling overall and will likely not buy one if they can really not resurrect one just for a dead battery.

At least until I break down and just buy one of course,or more than one?
The battery is soldered into place, but it's not completely proprietary. Someone in a RovyVon review topic showed images of the battery and its code, which can be found on-line. It's rather inexpensive too. I think the only real way to figure this all out is to just contact RovyVon. I've done so and I'm waiting to hear back.

EDIT: Well, I did hear back. Technically RovyVon won't service any lights outside of warranty, because they claim that shipping costs are too exorbitant (you might as well just buy another light). So after the warranty expires, you're on your own. They were not forthcoming about any means of being able to detach the bezel from the body. I'm trying to appeal to them, with the scenario of an Aurora owner with electronics and soldering expertise having an A8 with failed battery but everything else working perfectly fine. Certainly it would be a shame for the light to be tossed if a battery replacement solves the problem. I'm also thinking about a potential battery upgrade, once a suitable larger one is identified that would fit (unless some firmware changes are necessary to handle it).

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think it could easily be cracked open and the battery replaced if available.
A Dremel should make sort work of this part.
I think it is also not too tough to glue it back together and still have it not look too bad.

It just sucks if the companies plan is to sell you another one instead of this.

The battery is soldered into place, but it's not completely proprietary. Someone in a RovyVon review topic showed images of the battery and its code, which can be found on-line. It's rather inexpensive too. I think the only real way to figure this all out is to just contact RovyVon. I've done so and I'm waiting to hear back.

EDIT: Well, I did hear back. Technically RovyVon won't service any lights outside of warranty, because they claim that shipping costs are too exorbitant (you might as well just buy another light). So after the warranty expires, you're on your own. They were not forthcoming about any means of being able to detach the bezel from the body. I'm trying to appeal to them, with the scenario of an Aurora owner with electronics and soldering expertise having an A8 with failed battery but everything else working perfectly fine. Certainly it would be a shame for the light to be tossed if a battery replacement solves the problem. I'm also thinking about a potential battery upgrade, once a suitable larger one is identified that would fit (unless some firmware changes are necessary to handle it).

Snapper314

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I've lurked around here some in the past, but this is my first time posting and I have a request similar to the OP.

I've been using a Photon Microlight II for years and it's been great, but there are so many great options now and I'd like to upgrade. Right now I'm primarily considering the Maratac Peanut 2, the Nitecore TINI, and the RovyVon A8. I'm pretty torn between these. I'm open to other recommendations as well.

• small... I want a keychain light, not a pocket light and I'm coming from a Photon light
• rechargeable

If you want steel or titanium, then take a look at the RovyVon A2, A3, or A4 (stainless steel, aluminum, or titanium). I've been carrying & using an A2 for about a month & so far I love it.

Bretterson

Newly Enlightened
If you want steel or titanium, then take a look at the RovyVon A2, A3, or A4 (stainless steel, aluminum, or titanium). I've been carrying & using an A2 for about a month & so far I love it.

Thanks for the input. They do look compelling. I can't decide whether I'd rather have the titanium or the clear/glow case with side lights.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think it could easily be cracked open and the battery replaced if available.
A Dremel should make sort work of this part.
I think it is also not too tough to glue it back together and still have it not look too bad.

It just sucks if the companies plan is to sell you another one instead of this.
Well, whereas before the contact was responsive, my latest question has netted no reply for 2 days. Suffice it to say, I expect they just don't want to admit how the light is opened ("proprietary secret").

My Fenix L0D AAA light is obsolete... but it still works fine. This is 10+ years later. It should still be operable as long as the LED has life. That's a reasonable expectation. In this regard, I keep a positive opinion of Fenix. However, I'm not satisfied with RovyVon's position on the Aurora, that it is essentially a "disposable" light because it's too expensive to service after the warranty is up. I'd rather pay a little more to have a serviceable light. $45 is too much, given what is now revealed.

Thanks for the input. They do look compelling. I can't decide whether I'd rather have the titanium or the clear/glow case with side lights.
The A8 is more than just an Aurora variant with clear case. The UI and programming has been improved over time. It's their best key chain light at this point, IMHO. However, if the casing material is a higher priority over function, then you'd probably be happier with something like an A4.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Lumintop Geek for the heck of it. Very odd flashlight... aptly named, as it feels "geeky." It's a bit too big for a key chain light, but will fit in that small 5th pocket you find on jeans. Side light is very nice, like a 219b Nichia tint, made by a cluster of 5 LED's hidden behind a diffuser. The UI is weird, though... Not particularly well thought out. But usable.

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
For decades I carried a key chain light, then the smart phone made it obsolete. It actually makes no sense at all to carry one, unless it's superior to a cell phone light and they are not. I still carry the little Energizer micro light tube since it's so tiny and not noticeable "just in case". Even though it puts out a small 10 lumen it's size that is most important for a last resort light since I will carry it all the time.. I made a custom cover to protect it from getting banged up and turning on by mistake with a vinyl pen cover. I believe Energizer has discontinued it. There are just very few this tiny. When I am in work mode, and need a real flashlight I just carry my AA Mag pro.
20190311-122349.jpg
20190311-122459.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic
For decades I carried a key chain light, then the smart phone made it obsolete. It actually makes no sense at all to carry one, unless it's superior to a cell phone light and they are not....

Oh I think there are quite a few on CPF who carry keyring flashlights rather better than a typical "smart phone flashlight" ... ;)

NH Lumens

Enlightened
As a flashlight nerd I have an interst in all high-quality lights, even teeny-tiny keyring models. But I go no where without my iPhone and there are indeed plenty of good "flashlight apps" for them. I have to agree that the light they can provide is really perfect for when a keyring light might be needed.

Meanwhile, there's always something a bit more capable in another pocket. ;-)

bobspel

Newly Enlightened

• rechargeable

I have used many key chain sized lights over the years, starting out with Photons, moving to several AAA-sized lights (aluminum, brass and titanium), and now finally using the copper Nitecore Tini. I have had it for only about one month, but if it continues to be reliable, I would definitely buy again. I keep it on demo mode and the lowest setting, and have had no issues with accidental activations in the pocket draining the battery. For its compact size and various levels of brightness, it is fantastic for my use around the office and house. I have had only one other Nitecore light, an MT26 which I seldom use, but have had for many years and it still works. As I have mentioned, how long it lasts will determine my assessment of it in the long run, but so far so good.

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
Oh I think there are quite a few on CPF who carry keyring flashlights rather better than a typical "smart phone flashlight" ... ;)

You are absolutely right about that! But believe it or not, the cell phone has replaced the small flashlight for many if not almost all who carried before. And I deal with plumbers and electricians all the time and even the majority of them use their cell phone lights. Think about it, before everyone carried cell phones unless you had an actual flashlight you would be stuck in the dark or have nothing to illuminate anything. Now, 99% of the population has cell phones so they ALWAYS have a light with them when they need it. Most of what people need is a light that goes out at most 10ft or so, so the throw of a real flashlight is not really needed unless you live in the woods somewhere. I remember when I used to smoke, I had used my cigarette lighter more than once for light :ohgeez:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are absolutely right about that! But believe it or not, the cell phone has replaced the small flashlight for many if not almost all who carried before. And I deal with plumbers and electricians all the time and even the majority of them use their cell phone lights. Think about it, before everyone carried cell phones unless you had an actual flashlight you would be stuck in the dark or have nothing to illuminate anything. Now, 99% of the population has cell phones so they ALWAYS have a light with them when they need it. Most of what people need is a light that goes out at most 10ft or so, so the throw of a real flashlight is not really needed unless you live in the woods somewhere. I remember when I used to smoke, I had used my cigarette lighter more than once for light :ohgeez:
That is pretty amusing.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I looked, my cell phone was neither micro sized nor able to fit on my key ring, which kind of removes it for consideration in this thread. And, as a side point, I often go out without my cell phone (I like being disconnected), but I almost always have my keys, on which I have a lovely Maratac AAA 3 level light.