Microfire Warrior 10W HID

C

CbusRog

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
CBusRog ... it isn't allowed to post private e-mail content on CPF without the ok from the "other party". Please remove the quote and jsut describe the content or get the permission from Mike. Thanx :)
And yes, it is not cheap, but the advantage are the CR123 battery options and the size of the light. If the beam gets better with the new reflector I'll be a happy camper :D

jmi808, K-T ... thanx!

And yepp, WA bulb I think, too, judging from the look and the fact that there seems to be only one 10W HID bulb around.

bernie
With all due respect, I don't see anything in the Forum Rules and FAQ's that address posting "private" e-mails without permission of the sending party. If doing so isn't "allowed", please point me towards where this is stated. Rather than regurgitate what was said to me in the e-mail, it was more efficient to cut-n-paste the text. There is nothing of a sensitive nature in that e-mail that would even necessitate a comment. I was just trying to convey some information.

Last edited:
J

JohnLev

Newly Enlightened
Hello . My first post on this Forum . Joined because I need information as to your collective thoughts as to "the best" currently available HID handheld torch with the form factor along the lines of the Microfire Warrior . Suggestions please . Thanks in anticipation . :huh2:

A

AW

Newly Enlightened
Got my MicroFire K500R today. Here is some pictures :

PICT0265.jpg

PICT0268.jpg

PICT0266.jpg

PICT0267.jpg

The craftsmanship of this Chinese made Microfire is very good. However, it can't be compared to Surefire quality or other well known makers. As always, the HA seems to be quite weak and will scratch easily. One nice thing is the small form factor of this light and it can be carried conveniently with the optional nylon holster. The beam quality appears to be very tight direct from the factory and no adjustment is needed. Note the beam shot against a PR / TXOJ/500mA . I ran through a set of 3 protected R123 ( plus a dummy cell ) in the CR123 holder and had a runtime of 20 minutes. The light shut down abruptly with no flickering thanks to the protected cells. I think this is a bonus because flickering may reduced bulb life. The factory rechargeable cell body has a capacity of 2150mAH ( 3 X 18650 cells ) and the runtime is 105 minutes. However, this adds about two inches to the length of the flashlight. To sum up, I would say this is a very nice compact 12W HID and well worth the price I paid.

Kiessling

Kiessling

Moderator,
JohnLev ... there aren't that many small HID lights out there. Besides this one I can only remember:
- Schulzendorf Delta1 available at www.globetrotter.de
- various Mag Conversions made by CPFers (search for MagHID for example)
- bike lights with external battery packs (www.lupine.com)

All the others I know are bigger than this ...

CbusRog ... I cannot point you to the rules section concerning the content of private e-mails as the rules aren't completely up again after the software change. However this is a well-known rule that has been in effect for a long time now.
I agree that in this case it didn't hurt, but this rule is a matter of principle, politeness, courtesy and maybe has even some legal implications, but I am unsure of it. No need to discuss it, the forum owner wants it that way, and so it will be.

AW ... do you have the correct reflector? If so, can you do a beamshot showing the corona of the light to compare the quality of the beam with the right reflector to the crappy one I got?
And can you elaborate on the HA-issue since you seem to know more?
Thanx!

bernie

A

AW

Newly Enlightened
Bernie,

I think I have got the right reflector. I can't make the corona showed up on the beam shot but I do get a very nice hot spot and very good corona pattern with very little artifact right out of the box.

I have never come across a Chinese made flashlight with HAIII yet. The Microfire I have is what I think the HA II finish, it is very easy to scratch out like paint. I have talked to some electroplating factory and they say the cost and process for HAIII is just too much for them and very few customer would even ask for it.

PICT0271.jpg

AW

Trashman

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
(first paragragh is an attempt to give a tiny bit of information to Bernie regarding the "between type-II and type-III" anodizing. The second paragraph is a response to AW's account of what an anodizer told him)

I was looking for a local anodizer to do some HA3 for me, and the first one I tried said they didn't do type-III, but did a "modified type-II", which was supposed to be similar to type-III. She said the difference was that it was a longer process.

I did, however, find a very local (within 1 mile) anodizer that did type-III, and he told me that type-III used the same chemicals as type-II, but that it involved something like double the amount current. It doesn't seem like more current would really make such a difference in cost. My guess is that it is just a little more time consuming. Fivemega told me one of his anodizers told him that he didn't do type-III because the chemicals involved were strictly regulated and not allowed in his area, but when I presented this information to my local anodizer, he told me it wasn't true and that most anodizers "just don't want to do it".

Kiessling

Kiessling

Moderator,
AW ... your beam definitely looks nicer than mine, so I am looking forward to the new reflector :D !

Strange thing on the HAIII issue ... since the manufacturer claims it to be HAIII! :thinking: :shrug:

Mike just told me the bulb was manufactured by a factory in China and might be different from a WA Solarc HID bulb. Unfortunately there isn't more info available.

bernie

W

waion

Newly Enlightened
Last night I changed the stock 10W HID bulb in my K500R with a WA 10W one from my UK LC100 HID, I found the light output was increased by at least 30% to my naked eye, when compared to a unchanged K500R side by side . I still got 120mins runtime with a fully charged battery pack!

The battery pack is consisted of 3X protected 18650. That means it's providing about 11.1V. Am I correct in saying that it's not overdriving the bulb? If not, that means it's very safe, right? If yes, I think those who own this light must try it!

C

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the 10.2 volt WA Ballast Burnt Retinas sold a 11.5v regulated battery pack. So at 11.1v I doubt you would be overdriving it. But your ballast is a WA Knock Off maybe it's different.

Mac

W

waion

Newly Enlightened
I see. After two cycles of battery run, the WA bulb seems to be intact. I think I will continue this usage until the it dies.

Kiessling

Kiessling

Moderator,
Interesting.
Is the Chinese copy just inferior or the WA overdriven and thus endangered in this set-up? :thinking:

I really hope that we'll see the corrected reflectors soon ...

bernie

S

steevireno1

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty impressed with mine as well. In fact, am I thinking of adding it as a product to my website if the interest is there. There really is only one other dealer n the U.S. and Microfire has agreed to let me sell.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Kiessling

Kiessling

Moderator,
Grox, no it hasn't, but they are shipped right now and I should have it in a few days/weeks depending on delivery. I'll post an update for sure, I am very curious.
bernie

Kiessling

Kiessling

Moderator,
Not yet, Mike @ Pacific Tactical Solutions is still waiting for ghis shipment ...
bernie

jashhash

jashhash

Enlightened
Since you replaced the faulty reflector I'm wondering if that also increases the throw.

Kiessling

Kiessling

Moderator,
OK ... got the new reflector in, it is completely stippled, but not very aggressively so:

Warriorreflectornew.jpg

And the beam it produces is this:

Warriorbeamnew.jpg

You might think that it isn't very different from the initial beam ... and you are right. The artifacts of the hotspot are mostly gone now (improvement), but the overall appearance with that seperate zone of a reddisch light in the outer rims is still there (sigh).

Overall ... better, but not as good as I had hoped. Still an ugly beam.

bernie

C

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The WA Solarc system looks exactly the same it is the characteristics of the lamp design so I doubt any relector would make the "Perfect beam"

Mac