Milky M273 - the L4/L5 eater

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Asp seems to be undrating their lumen output. If each Cree emiter operated at 350mA's to led, then they should get a real "out the front" 60 lumens X3. Usually flashlight manufacturers, Surefire excepted, hype their lumen ratings per emiter specs.

Bill

jtice

Flashaholic
skalomax said:
Dont worry, I run my M375 on 3x CR123A's. I should get about 1.5 Hours.

Milky M-line Rocks!

Nice light!

Ahhh sheesh thats right, you have a M375 too !
Have you seen how long it will run on a single 18650?
Thats probably what I will use the most,
that or a pair of 17500s. (1100 mAh)

~John

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, looks pretty nice! One day I'll have to get one of these Milkymods. But make sure you don't forget the turkey bags...;)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
Asp seems to be undrating their lumen output. If each Cree emiter operated at 350mA's to led, then they should get a real "out the front" 60 lumens X3. Usually flashlight manufacturers, Surefire excepted, hype their lumen ratings per emiter specs.

Bill

Bill, maybe... though I did get a special privilege at SHOT, the ASP guys took me into a secret darkroom in their booth (literally!) where I compared the Triad LED 3x Cree to some competitors' lights provided by them... then I whipped out my personal M77-M1 Illuminator CREEmated P3-WC (about 77 lumens) for a little look-see. :naughty: The ASP was brighter than that one, no question... but it wasn't shockingly brighter. Though these sort of guesses are always tricky, I'd say the ASP was putting out no more than 180 lumens, and probably less. Also, note that my own light was getting similar losses out the front in that test, so the comparison was pretty fair IMHO.

Some really quick thoughts on why their light might not be getting quite as much output as one might expect... perhaps a relatively inefficient regulation circuit... or inefficient reflectors (looked like theirs were a metallized plastic, which shouldn't make much difference though it's unclear how good their metallized reflective surface was)... or maybe they were using Cree P2 emitters (average 70 EMITTER lumens, probably <60 lumens per emitter out the front of the light) for whatever reason... availability, lower price, large inventory on hand, whatever.
:shrug:

One would imagine the light they had at SHOT was the best sample they had available at the time, and in that sense represented an upper bound on the Triad's performance.

Anyway, the point here isn't to trash their light, I actually kinda liked it, as a production light it was pretty nice... just to offer a fair comparison based on my own firsthand experiences with both lights, especially since at this moment very few (any?) other people have had the chance to try both. Then again, I may be biased! ;)

Getting a little more on topic, I'm glad Jan likes his light! :thumbsup:

Nebula

Enlightened
Just to weigh in here - I have the M273 and LOVE it! Plenty of output for my needs (I live in a congested urban area), and a wonderful balance of performance and ergonomics. This is easily one of my favorite lights. KK

JanCPF

Enlightened
Argh! Beamshots! I knew that would pop up sooner or later, but I really have to practice some before I do that. How'bout you do them when you get your Milky mod Ian. :nana: :D

Jan