Mini mag single cell soltare wild upgrades?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the clip thing I have that has multple buton cells in it and my other mini mag single aaa light. I was wondering, what kind of power could I get out of that size if I filled the whole chamber with those button cells?

I also see one of those car entry remote 12 volt batteries could be used, what if I used two of them?

just wondering.

scudinc

Enlightened
You could try using two N cells (I'm not certain of how tight a fit that will be) and running a Brinkmann NexStar bulb. Battery life is going to suck, regardless.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a thread here somewhere about using a LiIon rechargeable in the Solitaire. That plus electronics apparently makes for good output out of this little light. (just forgot where I was) This is with an LED, off topic for this forum.

I think the problem with the Solitaire would be in getting an appropriate bulb to run it with if you pump up the voltage. Those little cells could be stacked to get good voltage but I don't know how much current they would supply. Of course if you could get 3V then you could run a standard minimag bulb. If you could get a little more than 3V in order to overdrive the bulb, and if the bulb would last, you might do a little better.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea, use a mini mag bulb with multiple cells and over drive it.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, running a 3V bulb on 3.7V is almost 25% overdrive.

If I'm readying what you're saying... running a standard 2 cell Minimag bulb in a Solitaire off of a 3.7V LiON cell?

I've never tried it (don't have any AAA LiONs) but I wouldn't think that would make for very long bulb life.

You could probably direct drive a Lux I with a high Vf off a single LiON but you might find runtime less than ideal. That may be why folks are liking the idea of the choppod down 2AA MiniMag to take a single 14500 AA-sized LiON.

This is all theory though. I've never tried ANY of this.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, use a 2 cell mini mag pin bulb and use 3 volts or so to run it. Its my experience mini mag bulbs slowly fade than just blow out. As for power, use a few buton cells or something.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the LR44 cells fit and if so how many can you fit in there?

I was wondering if you could fit multiples of 3 in there you would wire a set of 3 in series and wire several sets in parallel- something just under 4.5V and a little more current capacity than just 3 cells. If the 3V minimag bulb could handle it, maybe you could get some respectable output.

greenLED

Flashaholic
the capacity on those smaller cells is just too low to get any decent runtime once you start overdriving bulbs or Lux's. If you really want to try multiple cells, there are 1/3 AAA NiMH available hereThey're only 160 mAH, but this may be more than what those button cells have (and you can recharge them).