BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I am going into new light overload. I bought, at the same time, :
Streamlight 4aa 7 LED light (23.95)
Streamlight 3N 3 LED light (14.95)
CMG Infinity Ultra (21.50)
CMG Reactor (27.25)
All purchased at www.brightguy.com

Somebody else said this first, but I am too lazy to research it, but, "Compared to my ARC AAA, this light seems so big!" As small as this light is (1 AA), it is just a little too big to put on a keychain.

Ok, how is the light itself? It feels very nice in the hand, and the head is knurled deep enought to have a very nice, friction on the fingertips, turn when twisting the light on.

The light is very even and bright, for a 1 LED light. very nice, white (not blue!) wide center beam, with a very usable secondary beam.

Comparing the light output to the ARC AAA is inevetable. My ARC LE 3.1 also has a very bright beam, but I think my ARC is bluer than my infinity. So, is one brighter than the other? Hard to say, they both have their positive points, and I would say that the ARC might be a tad brighter, but it is also a TAD bluer, and maybe the Infinity Ultra has a slightly wider beam. Both are very nice.

Now, this light will probably never be on my keychain, whereas the ARC will never come off my keychain.

This would be a great light to put a single AA lithium battery, and throw one into your travel kit. I almost lost my ARC 3 times, when traveling, and since I don't carry my keys when traveling, I think that I would have prefered to have the Infinity in my pocket as opposed to my ARC, off my keychain. As much as I like (no, love!) my ARC, for the one-two weeks a year that I am "sans keys", the Infinity could be my EDC. Put the lanyard on it, and put it around my neck when needed, with a lithium AA battery, you would be set for a long while!

I swear I am not being unfaithful to my ARC! The Infinity Ultra and I are JUST GOOD FRIENDS! We spend a couple of weeks together a year, but I promise, it is strictly Platonic!

The 25 plus hour at peak brightness and being slightly bigger, plus the option to put a lithium in there, for even a little more brightness, and longer run time, this would be the light that would be great for vacations. (and the ARC never comes off your keychain!)

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is pretty much how I use my lights.

For Every Day Carry on a keychain:
-Photon II Red most of the year; lighter and less "scratchy" than the ARC AAA
-ARC AAA on vacation; more light for longer and cheap, easy to change battery

If I'm camping or just not carrying my keys...
The Infinity (Blue-Green) is in my pocket!

It IS too big to be a keychain light, but makes a wonderful light for in the pocket or hung from the lanyard around the neck. The rest of the year it is a great "walk around the house at night" light or sits in my glove box with a lithium for emergencies.

Much has been said on the forum about ARC AAA vs. the Infinity. I think with the new Ultra the value is really compelling. Same brightness as the ARC AAA but 5 times the light-life from a AA that costs no more to buy than a AAA (plus the option of using a lithium if you want to).

I really look forward to getting my first Ultra!

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
Hi BuddTx-

many thanks for the review - very useful, and a nice complement to those already published.

Best,

Michel

Xenon

Enlightened
I just got my infinity ultra too. Its the same brightness as my Arc LE but with a nice white beam.

I just substituted my Arc LE on my keychain for the ultra to see if i can get use to the extra bulk and weight. Its certainly a good buy.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

The one thing that I would suggest to CMG to improve this already fine light, is to add a metalic reflctor, similar to what the ARC AAA has.

As ARC and Streamlight have already proven, reflectors do provide extra light, even though the LED's are supposed to be directional.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an Ultra-G (used) in the mail and I have to say that I am fairly impressed with it. It is not quite as bright as my ARC LE, but it is a bigger, wider beam. Color is about the same, but slightly whiter than the LE.

I can't wait to get home and drop a lithium into it!!!