Missing Omicron

Status
Not open for further replies.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Stolen Omicron

.... Wondering if an operator may have seen the item and made it look accidentally opened to get it; not accusing anyone, just voicing a remote possibility....

A reminder for threads related to Rants and Jeers here on CPF, to please avoid speculation.

It is unhelpful at best, and often may be inflammatory.

Please all just stick to the facts, else the thread will likely be closed.

.... What Thor's Hammer did is amazingly kind hearted and noble.

CPF is a wonderful community :lovecpf:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Agreed. It's a small item. It could be lodged In a machine, kicked under a table or piece of equipment, laying in the back of a truck or airplane, or any number of things. While the situation is certainly frustrating, theft is not the only possibility. Very kind of the makers to help you though - really stand up guys!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stolen Omicron

You are using sarcasm and assuming a postal employee is a thief, when you seem to have no proof of that.
Have you inquired as to whether your package may have been subjected to security x-ray? Wondering if an operator may have seen the item and made it look accidentally opened to get it; not accusing anyone, just voicing a remote possibility.

What Thor's Hammer did is amazingly kind hearted and noble.

Well, I really shouldn't have to go this defensive route but I will...if permitted to do so.
Other than the emoticon (?) of the shaking head, I don't believe I used the word "theft". Happy Postal employee very well meant happy due to having found the light and the case. I can't say one way or the other due to...the following....

I was told by a local Postal employee that there might possibly be some video showing where the contents spilled out--possibly onto the floor, possibly wedged into a piece of machinery. If you care to read my post again, it was related to not having been contacted by that same Postal employee---on two separate occasions--as I was told would occur, contents found or not. Again I say, no call or calls back.

I didn't author the title of this thread. I might have used the same wording. If the change is more appropriate, so be it.

I really don't know what the procedure is should the items be found, I've not had this happen before. Yes, I was informed that due to the goodwill of the sender, I would receive the replacements for the lost contents. Should, following that replacement, the original contents be discovered, will the Post Office return the found merchandise to the sender-- as in the old Elvis Presley song or, forwarded to me, the intended recipient? I don't know if the sender has asked the Postal service to do one or the other. I have not. Premature at best--let's see if the contents are found.

In short, I posted today to give an update of the situation. I did just that. Quite frankly, had I thought keeping all informed---as I was asked--was going to generate such a mess, I'd have kept all in suspense.

Karl

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Did they discuss an estimate of how long they expected any search for your items to take, including to review available video, before calling you back ?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two answers as I may read the questions..1) no estimate of search and discovery timetable. 2) The Postal staff person said my call would be returned "that day"---and, as I think I may have previously stated, I called twice, once on each of two different days. Any insight on why no returned calls certainly appreciated by anyone reading this thread.

Karl

archimedes

Flashaholic
The article I linked earlier discusses the standard policies for handling lost and damaged items, at least as of 2014.

It would seem that unless it is immediately easily and readily found, any items later recovered are forwarded to the Mail Recovery Center, where they are attempted to be matched up with claims in the system.

Failing that, "if items can't be delivered or returned, the Postal Service donates, recycles, discards, or auctions them off" per that acticle.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to go read it. Honestly I haven't--my failing. If I happen to have to "Eat Crow" on this one, I WILL gladly tell everyone "Who's coming to...err....for Dinner"--crow in this case--and admit my having jumped the gun" so to speak. I'll be tickled pink having had my lost goodies returned... In the meantime, maybe I'll find Postal response time guidelines as well....

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well no....quite honestly I really would like the light back AND, i don't know how long a search might take. I'd certainly have preferred I'd have known by now but, I didn't think I would. I didn't want the sender to go through the trouble of paying the money for the light, building/crafting a new case and getting it to me to find the original contents were located. I don't believe he was in the market for this light and, finding the original AFTER replacement would find him (the sender) with an expensive light and, a hole in his pocket for the cost. On the other hand, this certainly isn't a heart transplant and, I think I can scour up another light in the meantime to use for potty duty illumination before I receive the original or the replacement.

The US Postal service processes millions (?) of packages each day. Finding this isn't the proverbial location of the needle in the haystack but, pretty close--this light takes 10180s and, is correspondingly small. Whether a video of a conveyor belt crammed with thousands of packages will note a "hole in one" (sorry!):devil: is doubtful.

I'll give it a few days..week (?) and, possibly a miracle will occur! Ya never know!

karl

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that Hogo and George had arranged to provide you with replacements at no extra cost to you.

I continue to hope that the item is found.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking with George, he will be shipping the new light to me Wednesday so I should be able to have the new light and holster in the mail by Friday. I do plan on taping the living crap out of the box. Maybe ship the box in leather armor! LOL!
There will be an extra battery in the box as well.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Happy days are here again"... Hot damn, a LEATHER shipping box!! Hmmm, decisions, decisions...:confused:..which kind of leather--Ray, lizard, Alligator(??)...or an understated steer hide with "USPS" embossed in a contrasting color...snap or Velcro closing flap--no, No, NO!!!! Gorilla duct tape fer shure!!! "No more teachers dirty looks, no more soggy slippers after midnight toidy trips"!!!:ohgeez:

Seriously, thanks to all who HELPED provide support in this snafu, the clear "target" of my appreciation Dan at Thor's Custom Leather for not only standing behind his fine work but also for what his fine cases are crafted...in this case a custom flashlight! Talk about guaranteed work!! Rare in todays world. Thanks to George as well for the interest and working with Dan on this replacement. Thanks finally to Mike Salt for starting this thread which may still provide some impetus for the rising of the Phoenix from the ashes or, less philosophically, the reappearance of the Omicron light and Rayskin holster from the depths of the Postal shipping bins!! Oh yes, appreciation handed to the moderators and administrators for understanding my disappointment, frustration and hostility in conveying what had to be said, albeit in a "softer" and "touchy-feely" manner.

Karl

PS I'll STILL use USPS, always have!

Last edited:
Will the new light and holster be afforded insurance and signature conformation?

Has anyone lost a light that was insured and how was the process for collecting payment from USPS?

I'll be happy if / when the original contents are found and returned so Dan and George are made whole.

~ Chance

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this thread. With the dual threat of porch pirates and hungry, box munching postal machinery, it's good to know that classy folks like Dan and George are watching out for their customers.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to keep all those interested (and even those NOT interested!) posted as to the latest in "The Case of The Missing Omicron". Now, don't touch that dial!

Karl

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the new light and holster be afforded insurance and signature conformation?

Has anyone lost a light that was insured and how was the process for collecting payment from USPS?

I'll be happy if / when the original contents are found and returned so Dan and George are made whole.

~ Chance

Chance, the only mail the USPS takes seriously is registered mail. At each and every transfer, a real live human must sign for the receipt.

I've had certified mail lost on a few occasions as well as numerous postcards that were supposed to provide proof of delivery.

Registered mail or one of the overnight delivery companies.

I'd suggest a box within a box with addresses on both boxes and a rolled up paper inside the battery compartment. Can't get much better than that.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had packages shipped to me using various carriers--DHL, Federal Express, and UPS as well as USPS. Once in a great while something is misplaced, delivered to an incorrect address, damaged in transit...but, rarely in my experience. Given proper packing and correct addressing, I'll wager a comparatively small number are actually not delivered to the right address. Fruitless to look at percentage accuracy in my opinion---if you receive the package, all is well. Conversely if you don't, you'll share some disappointment. Unless the shipper hands it to you personally, no matter what the process--registered, insured, whatever and no matter who the carrier, there is a possibility of not getting your "stuff".

I recently saw that a UPS truck caught fire and, "most" of the transit goodies were lost in that fire. Subsequent investigation placed the fault on a battery malfunction, one housed in a PC. Hey, wadaya gonna do?

The Omicron and holster will be discovered somewhere, sometime but not necessarily by us here on the forums. It's SOMEWHERE!:shrug:

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.