Mixing 2 Tints - am I Making My Own Higher CRI or Not?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im contemplating purchasing a pair of dedicated zebralights for use on my work helmet: Two H501s strung on the same headband.

Here's my question: Should I mix a cool and a neutral white? Alternately I'd go for two of the neutral lights instead (which look warm to my eye).

Am I making a higher CRI (so to speak) by mixing a cool with a neutral? Is there any real advantage to mixing two tints? If not Ill probably just go for two neutral tints.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the gist of replies to this thread...answer was "maybe a little, but mostly not."

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much. The best you can hope for is a nice balanced white, but not really high CRI.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sums it up pretty well. I remember I made a reply, but I can't remember the exact contents. For anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future, it was pointing to the datasheets and how there'd still be huge gaps in the spectral distribution of such a combination, most notably around the 475-500 nm area, and then again in the deep/far red section.

NYCaver

Newly Enlightened
Coming across this got me thinking. What if you have a high CRI but too-warm LED that you pair with a cool or neutral low-CRI LED? What I have in mind is Cree's 90 CRI 3000k XP-G. If I paired this with a Cooler LED would I have a better color temp, and still retain a CRI higher than the typical 75 or so?

chicken dave

Newly Enlightened
I've actually tried something like this (H501w with cool hand-held). While it may not technically be high CRI, it most certainly results in more pleasant and useful light. I've found it particularly useful to identify similar wire colors in confined areas (work on boats).

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming across this got me thinking. What if you have a high CRI but too-warm LED that you pair with a cool or neutral low-CRI LED? What I have in mind is Cree's 90 CRI 3000k XP-G. If I paired this with a Cooler LED would I have a better color temp, and still retain a CRI higher than the typical 75 or so?

I can't see why not. It'd be an interesting experiment.

RCantor

Enlightened
I tried this with a quad XPG P60 mixing neutral and warm. A straight neutral produced better color rendition.

Latest posts