MJLED - UNcut in MiniMag?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone put an UNcut (domed) version of the MJLED in a MiniMag 2AA?

What's the beam like compared to the usual cut version of the MJLED, in terms of smoothness and any rings, please?

Please note for clarity - I am not referring to cutting the legs -
"CUT" in this case means the regular dome of the 5mm has been cut and ground polished to produce a side-emitter type LED - the usual "cut" version looks like:
mjled.jpg

the UNcut version just looks like a regular 5mm domed LED

Please see this thread for lots of comparison beamshots of the usual CUT MJLED in MiniMag 2AA -
MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

Beamshot of my 2 MJLED (cut) (both generation 2) -
MJLED21.jpg

Thanks,

mateen

Enlightened
I only had access to the uncut version from the Shoppe, being too late to get the actual MJLED. Brightness is probably very similar between the two. Compared to your beamshots, I'd say that the beam is not as smooth, probably because the LED projection and the reflected projection interfere? But I can say that it is still a HUGE improvement over the stock Minimag.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the uncut is more desirable if you want to focus it as a flood. The MJ is better if you want to focus a spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

mateen

Enlightened
I would agree just looking at the beamshots on here compared to my UNcut type. Mine is quite floody, which is why I got it.

Melven

Newly Enlightened
Any beam shots of an uncut mjled?

Please Please

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps56k

Enlightened
I'm curious how the LED itself becomes a front vs side emitter? If the light is actually coming out the front/top of the LED "device", then how is cutting & polishing the dome making it come out the sides to be bounced off the conical reflector ?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ps56k said:
I'm curious how the LED itself becomes a front vs side emitter? If the light is actually coming out the front/top of the LED "device", then how is cutting & polishing the dome making it come out the sides to be bounced off the conical reflector ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question -

and I don't know -
I was going by what was said on Lambda's page on the MJLED -
QUOTE:
ArcMania has modified these new hi-power, super efficient large die 5mm LEDs to function as side emitters for use in flashlights with reflectors.
UNQUOTE

I think cutting off the dome stops the forward optical focussing, and I would have thought makes it more like a Lambertian (as GarageBoy suggested) rather than a side-emitter.

Any beamshots of an UNcut MJLED in a MiniMag set on the tightest focus, please?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
By 'cutting' the top down clost the the LED die and then rounding the sides down, optimally lower than the level on the die causes the light to be givel off at almost 180deg. It is NOT a side emitter as there is still light given off in the forward direction. The rounding of the case soo close to the die pulls the output angle out more to the sides, as compared to just making it flat. This can be done with ANY standart LED style, 3mm, 5mm, 10mm and so on. This can be practices with a cheapie CLEAR case LED and a stiff (dollar store) emery board. File it flat close the where the 'chip' is, then round the edges down, use some fine sandpaper to make it smooth, then use some US currency or cardboard to polish it up.
With a little practice you can get pretty compitant at it. LED's 'cut down' like this are also good in small area lighting, use in 'tap' lights, or in model work.
Jeff

Spelling is not my strong point, I useually dont proofread, and I am not being graded on it.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
WildRice said:
By 'cutting' the top down clost the the LED die and then rounding the sides down, optimally lower than the level on the die causes the light to be givel off at almost 180deg. It is NOT a side emitter as there is still light given off in the forward direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation.

Here are some more beamshots of my 2 (cut) MJLEDs in MiniMag 2AAs set at tightest focus - these show the full coverage.
(note: the #1 & #2 are simply my notation -
they are both generation 2 (cut) MJLEDs -
MJLEDfullBeam.jpg
MJLEDfullBeam2U.jpg

Anyone with a beamshot of the UNcut MJ type LED in a 2AA MiniMag on tightest focus - please?

Thanks,

randolphgenk

Newly Enlightened
Here are some beamshots of an Uncut MJLED at tightest focus vs a regular MJLED. Both are in 2AA Minimags. They only show the hotspots, but I could take some more if you'd like to see the whole beam pattern. The MJLED is very smooth; the Uncut one has a few rings, although it's not as bad as the original bulb.

First - MJLED on left, Uncut on right. Both 1 metre from screen

MJLEDvsUncut1m.JPG

Second - Same as above but from 2.5 metres. The MJLED throws a lot more.

MJLEDvsUncut2_5m.JPG

Both images are a bit dim. Sorry.

Here's a shot comparing, from left to right, an MJLED, an Infinity Ultra and an Uncut MJLED in candle mode. My MJLED is pretty green, but the uncut one is much whiter than the other two.

MJLEDInfUltUncut.JPG

Hope these are of some use.

Mike

ps56k

Enlightened
wow - great shot of the 3 LEDs -
Why cut & polish it then, when the uncut one looks great, and has a nice throw !
Why have a mod to decrease the output ?
hmmm - I guess we'll see when we get ours...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
randolphgenk said: Here are some beamshots of an Uncut MJLED at tightest focus vs a regular MJLED. Both are in 2AA Minimags. They only show the hotspots, but I could take some more if you'd like to see the whole beam pattern. The MJLED is very smooth; the Uncut one has a few rings, although it's not as bad as the original bulb.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike,

Thank you so much for those comparison beamshots -
very helpful.

Much obliged,

randolphgenk

Newly Enlightened
PS56K - I agree with you that the MJLED actually gives off less light (even when taking into consideration the fact that it is a 180 degree emitter as opposed to the 25 degrees of the uncut led), but when it is in the reflector of the MiniMag, a lot more light is thrown forward; the dimmer led has the further range.

I was a bit disappointed with the output and colour of my MJLED. I've read other posts around here from people with the same opinion, but even so, I much prefer it to the original bulb. I got the uncut one at the same time and it has a lovely colour. I was temped to try cutting it to the same shape as the MJLED, but I'm not really sure how it will end up. I can't really imagine myself making a good job of it.

Mike

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot randolphgenk for the pics and the comments. I'll be ordering several uncut leds as soon as possible. Still I have a (dumb, maybe) question, as I have never modded the mini-mag: how exactly do you replace the stock bulb with the led? Is it as simple as taking out the bi-pin and sticking the led in its place?
Thanks

randolphgenk

Newly Enlightened
Yup. The bulb just comes out and the led goes in. You'll need to bend the legs in a bit (and make sure they're trimmed to the correct length), but it's easy. These are the only mods I've ever done and I had no problems. Even drilling out the reflectors was straightforward.