MKN SST-90 MOD Flashlight

moviles

Enlightened
pictures please!!!!!!!!!

some pictures of dropin spring and treads please

the treads are anodized? the dropin are brass or aluminium? it have the the led with star or not (ssr-90 or sst-90?)

Larbo

Enlightened
hmm, after reading the last posts I hope this wasnt a mistake. All this needs is to outdo my TK40 then its a keeper. Theres alot of other lights that are brighter but at the expense of not being a pocket light, we will see...:popcorn:

357mag1

Enlightened
I still can't belieive it only does 3A on high:scowl:

I know what you mean. I figured with the big battery it would be pulling at least 4 amps. Of course the runtime is listed as 2 hours on high and from a 4000mah battery that would work out to 2 amps.

The good points of this light are as Larbo mentioned it is more pocketable than a TK30 even when I run the TK30 without the extender using two 18350s for full lumen output. The best way to describe the size is like a beefed up 6P. It measures 5.75 inches long the body is 1.26 inches in diameter. The tailcap is 1.36 inches and the bezel is 1.62. It weighs 11.35oz.

For the lumen output it is fairly compact just don't expect it to "Blow Away" your TK40. On the positive side it has a better beam for close up work than any other light I own.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
A few minutes of comparing it against the TK40 shows it may be a little brighter and more flood like, gonna top off the battery (3.9volts now) and try it out tonight.

357mag1

Enlightened
Larbo,

I was curious how you felt the MKN SST-90 compared to the TK40 outside. The MKN hotspot is big and bright which works well outside for close up viewing as everything inside the hotspot is quite bright.

I just bought one of the MG RX-1 MC- E lights from ShiningBeam for $60 and it seems brighter than the MKN to me. Probably because the RX-1 is drawing 2.8A at the tailcap and the MC-E is more efficient than the SST-90.

Larbo

Enlightened
Larbo,

I was curious how you felt the MKN SST-90 compared to the TK40 outside. The MKN hotspot is big and bright which works well outside for close up viewing as everything inside the hotspot is quite bright.

I just bought one of the MG RX-1 MC- E lights from ShiningBeam for $60 and it seems brighter than the MKN to me. Probably because the RX-1 is drawing 2.8A at the tailcap and the MC-E is more efficient than the SST-90.

The TK40 has a little better throw and appears a bit brighter at long distance due to the smaller hotspot, the MKN is a flooder beam but is still quite bright, no doubt reflector size plays into this.
Iam not positive this is worth what I paid for it but it will provide a bright beam and fits in my pocket. There are alot of brighter lights around but I dont want something that looks like a 5-6 cell m*g.
MKN SST-90 and SureFire 6PL

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
Larbo,

You about summed up my feelings on the light and how it compares to the TK40. The two best features of the MKN are the size and how the large hotspot lights up the night with hardly any dim areas in front of you. Now if it would draw about 4-4.5 amps and put out a couple hundred more lumens.

moviles

Enlightened
no way to buy this flashlight with mc-e for 40-55$

some dealers sell 5 of these flashlights with mc-e for 34$ (34x5= 170$) but I want only one

edit:the real name appears to be "jm07" or "r/wm06"
sherlock.gif

neo_img_1-1.jpg

21.jpg

T2vAFfXalaXXXXXXXX_%21%2165539984.jpg

T2kkFfXbJaXXXXXXXX_%21%2165539984.jpg

any chance to request this flashlight in dx?

Last edited:

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I have a few of these for sale. 10 of the MC-E version, $100, 5 of the SST-90, $125. Some may have minor nicks in the finish which I will adjust the price for but all work fine. Price includes shipping in the US. First come first serve, and let me know if you want 'perfect' or 'blemished'.

Yes, I'm the MKN.

marc at newman dot org

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think this light should be compared to the S12 as it seems this would be the obvious match up for it.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
True, but the MC-E version is regulated and comes with an extension that allows 2x 26650 to be used, giving very long runtime, or the ability to use 2x LiFEP04 or IMR 26650s. The SST-90 version is direct drive and can only use 1x26650.

The MC-E version is 5 modes, Low, Med, High, strobe and SOS, where the SST-90 is 3 mode, High, Med, Low.

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SST-50 version that Lighthound.com has now is brighter than the SST-90 that they used to sell, I have both versions. I'm assuming because the new SST-50 version that they are selling uses a 4.2A driver instead of the 2.8A that the SST-90 uses. It could also be the color temp of the LED but the SST-50 is noticeably brighter than the SST-90 that I have.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to check the amps on my SST-90's. Were the 90's from Lighthound direct or did they use a regulated driver? Now that I think about it, I believe one of the 90's that I have is a direct drive (I have two). It might just be the color tint that makes the 50 look so much brighter. The new model SST-50 that I have from Lighthound looks to be a 6500 (it is very white) and the 90 looks to be in either a 4500 or 5700K.

My SST-90s are direct drive, no regulator, just a driver for 3 levels.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
The SST-90s that I sold through Lighthoud were all direct drive, 3 mode. They were tested on a CPF user's sphere at 729 lumens with only a very small amount of fade after several minutes, ie, less than 5 from memory. The big copper slug really draws the heat away and the IMR 26650 is an awesome battery.

The MC-E version tested at about 525 lumens, similar to the SST-50 output. They are a neutral in color so appear a bit dimmer but still put out a ton of light, and the added benefit of regulation and the extra battery extender make them a great buy for $100.