ML300L Failure

russellw

Newly Enlightened
Good morning

We have roughly 1 year old ML300L 3D cell Maglites in each of our cars and because of the relatively infrequent use they are powered by low self discharge NiMH rechargeable cells either from Enerloop or Tenergy.

One of them has stopped working and after checking (and changing) the batteries and testing the switch I have concluded that the LED module itself has failed and was a bit surprised to learn that there is no spare part for it.

I've swapped the module out of one of the others to check that is the cause and have confirmed it is although removing the old module is not exactly simple requiring a very narrow shaft T8 torx driver to loosen the module in the housing.

It's a little disappointing that there isn't a DIY replacement that I can find and certainly nothing factory although I suspect that the LED module is probably a 3rd party supplied item and even if it isn't the LED 'head' itself looks like a fairly standard item that could be replaced.

I think I'll go back to using our older xenon 3xD units in the cars - both have LED globe only upgrades but also still have the comfort of a spare xenon bulb which is nice to know when you need them.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you contacted Maglite CS?

Most of the time ML will send you a brand new flashlight once yours is returned under warranty.
No questions asked, as long as it hasn't been obviously messed with.. Just a thought
Oh, I just viewed you're from down under.. Shipping to US could be an issue.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nope, these are no longer user serviceable. That was one of the charms of older Maglite products. Easy to swap parts if need be. Like KG said, customer service would gladly exchange it. But to and from the land down under may be pricey.

russellw

Newly Enlightened
I have contacted ML CS and I've no doubt they will arrange for a replacement.

I'm just a bit surprised given it's not had any real use in the 12 months and in fact just sits next to the driver seat ready for emergencies. Batteries are changed quarterly although that's not really necessary given they are LSD.

I've got an unopened Infinity X1 dual power torch on my desk so I might see how that goes instead. It looks reasonably well constructed and I like that you can just use normal AA cells (albeit 9 of them) as well as the built in rechargeable battery if needs be.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have roughly 1 year old ML300L 3D cell Maglites
Maglite comes with a ten year warranty, and Maglite will replace it.

Maglite said:
Mag Instrument, Inc. warrants to the original owner that this flashlight is free from defects in parts and workmanship for ten years from the date of first retail purchase. Mag or an authorized Mag Warranty Service Center will, free of charge, repair or, at its option, replace a defective flashlight or component.

Welcome to CPF, russellw!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sometimes they'll ask a customer to mail in a busted light so that they can perform an autopsy for quality control purposes.

They asked me for a photo of a tailcap on one that had been completely coated instead of leaving the contact area uncoated. They told me they wanted to take a count of how many got out that way. I had a new tailcap in a few days even though I had removed the coated area and got it working.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes they'll ask a customer to mail in a busted light so that they can perform an autopsy for quality control purposes.

They asked me for a photo of a tailcap on one that had been completely coated instead of leaving the contact area uncoated. They told me they wanted to take a count of how many got out that way. I had a new tailcap in a few days even though I had removed the coated area and got it working.

That sounds like a favorable and appropriate response on their part - just to give credit where credit's due. We at times call out companies who don't measure up (as we should), so we should also give credit to those who do!

Everyone who actually does anything will make mistakes and have the occasional failure - it's how they respond to that which often separates the wheat from the chaff.

hsa

Enlightened
I used my ML 50l so much I wore the anodising out on the tailcap and couldn't do the quarter turn lockout anymore. Instead of spending $15 on a tailcap I just went to Walmart and bought an ML 25 knowing the worn tailcap wouldn't matter on that and I could just leave a light in the golf cart. Then I got hooked on the ML 25 once I used it so out it came and now in my regular rotation. Then I got a new golf cart with fancy LED lights. So that was a quick $10,000 solution.;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used my ML 50l so much I wore the anodising out on the tailcap and couldn't do the quarter turn lockout anymore. Instead of spending $15 on a tailcap I just went to Walmart and bought an ML 25 knowing the worn tailcap wouldn't matter on that and I could just leave a light in the golf cart. Then I got hooked on the ML 25 once I used it so out it came and now in my regular rotation. Then I got a new golf cart with fancy LED lights. So that was a quick $10,000 solution.;)
The tailcap of the ML25 and 50 are the same. Just sayin' if you want to swap to the ML50 sometimes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML25 is an anomalie in the modern flashlight world.
If only they'd do a spectrum warm yellow body version.....

russellw

Newly Enlightened
I thought I'd provide an update. The unit got back to the local agents yesterday (thanks to the slow postal service) and they rang me late yesterday afternoon to report that they hadn't been able to find any fault.

They did say that they have seen some where the foam in the tail cap has moved and effectively broken the electrical circuit but otherwise they can't see any other issue.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I'd provide an update. The unit got back to the local agents yesterday (thanks to the slow postal service) and they rang me late yesterday afternoon to report that they hadn't been able to find any fault.

They did say that they have seen some where the foam in the tail cap has moved and effectively broken the electrical circuit but otherwise they can't see any other issue.
Well, the old NTF (no trouble found) or CWT (cleared while testing) is never what we want to hear (an inconclusive resolution), but if the problem can't be reproduced / duplicated, we'll hope for the best. These things do happen (they're the kinds of things that 'keep me awake at night'), but some times things just do not reoccur.