MN60 & SC2 fit question - I have a solution!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings,

I just picked up 3 MN60 LAs. One I put in my light, the other 2 in SC2s. I think the lamps are about half a millimeter too long to fit into the lamp well in the spares carrier. I fear that the glass envelopes are under compression when I screw the lids on. Has anybody else noticed this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

kelmo

PS. My poorman's M4 (9P+A19+KT Turbohead) totally rocks.

Last edited:

SunStar

Enlightened
Re: MN60 & SC2 fit question

Yep... same observation...

Despite that, I've successfully carried an MN60 in an SC2 for over a year without incident. However, I don't screw the cap on very tight. The SC2 may not be completely water tight but it has served me well so far. The real test would be to do some long runs on the stored lamp to see if the tip has been weakened. I have not performed such tests to date.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I don't like that pressure on the glass at all. M3/M3T lamps fit fine without any problems, but SF must not have designed the SC2 with M4 lamps in mind.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Or to put it another way, designed the SC2 before they designed the M4 lamps.
Some MN21 lamps don't fit either.
I doubt SureFire will change the mould though

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the input Gents.

I'm going to the hardware store and see about getting a rubber faucet washer to use as a shim. I don't think compressing the spring an extra millimeter will hurt the lamp. This might also add additional shock isolation to the lamp.

kelmo

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from the hardware store. I got a #8 O-ring. Nomimal dimensions of 9/16" outer diameter X 3/8" inner diameter X 3/32" thickness. For the rest of the world thats 14.2mm X 9.5mm X 2.4mm. This fits perfectly around the lamp base. It's just wide enough that when seated in the lamp well it raises the tip of the lamp approximately 1.5mm. Plus it has the added bonus of adding some shock isolation between the lamp base and the lamp well housing. I don't believe this will harm the springs.

The only draw back is your fingers come in contact with the glass envelope when putting on or taking off the O-ring. Make sure you wipe down your lamp before using it. Forgive me if you already know about this.

I think I will add an O-ring to all my lamps that ride in a SC2 just for the added shock dampening. You can never be to careful with expensive LAs!

I hope this helps.

kelmo