Mod options for Mag 2C?

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to point out that the ROP Low will give a run time of about twice that of the ROP High. Also despite being less bright it still has a very good output. In fact my ROP Low is my favourite incan to use (my 5 IMR 26500 with Osram 64458 would be my favourite 'showing off' incan). The ROP Low is a great torch for day to day use - good brightness & good tint with reasonable run time and the heat generated is not too much.
I have a 2D ROP Low running with 2 protected D-Cells for over 2 hours of run time. I love the size, weight, shape and output of that Mag.

My 'showing off' hotwire is too bright for normal use, if you shine it on a white wall and look at the hotspot it will hurt your night adapted eyes, it is freakin' bright! The fact that the run time is less than 15 minutes from full charge to dead is also a big negative for normal use.

My ROP High is too big for frequent use, mainly because it is in my 6D.

My ROP Low is just right if I want a good bright incan torch that will not go flat in 12 minutes or get too hot to hold in 4 minutes. The best situation you could hope for would be to come across someone with a stock 6D at night - they would be scratching their head wondering why their torch seemed dim compared to your 2C.

thebigjim

Newly Enlightened
Is it me being slightly dim, or does the Bulb destruction test show that a ROP Hi bulb will not flash at 8.4v? Is that not what the two AW IMR C cells will put out to it?

Please educate me as I fear I will blow my hands off very soon when I order my parts.

Still cant decide on a SF6P with 2 x IMR 16340 or a Mag 2C with something blinding in it.

Jim.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me being slightly dim, or does the Bulb destruction test show that a ROP Hi bulb will not flash at 8.4v? Is that not what the two AW IMR C cells will put out to it?

Please educate me as I fear I will blow my hands off very soon when I order my parts.

Still cant decide on a SF6P with 2 x IMR 16340 or a Mag 2C with something blinding in it.

Jim.
+1!

That got me too...

According to Lux Luthor's destructive tests, the ROP High only flashes at 8.6 volts. And while it is known that IMR Cs can keep its voltage far better than any regular li-ion cell, it is unlikely that it will maintain a solid 8.4+ volts under that high load.

What I am missing here?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
As you can see here, I'm equally perplexed:

2x - IMR26500 (7.4 - 8.4 volts)
3854 ROP Low - GOOD
3854 ROP High - :poof: (0.2 under?) :thinking:
3853 ROP Low - GOOD
3853 ROP High - GOOD
Philips 5761 - :poof: (0.5 over)
WA 1111 - :poof: (0.1 over)
WA 1274 - GOOD (9.1 limit)
Osram 64250 - :poof: (0.3 over)
Osram 64275 - :poof: (0.3 over)
Osram 64430 - GOOD (10.9 limit)

3x - IMR26500 (11.1 - 12.6 volts)
WA 1331 - :poof: (0.6 over)
WA 1185 - :poof: (0.3 over) <- safe after 24hr rest
WA 1166 - GOOD (14.1 limit)

I think of ROP as my low complication / high reliability setup. Whichever side of max line it falls, the 6v bulb is to close to the line, making it high maintenance (have I over charged, did I rest the cells, etc). Meanwhile, the 7.2v bolb looks outstanding and promises higher reliability with these cells - And most importantly, Mr Lux has agreed to evaluate them!

As for 6P vs 2C, check out post 2:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/228965

I'm still waiting on the 1274 bulb for my 6P, but I'm happiest so far with the 9P+1331 and the 2C with 7.2v ROP-H

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a difference between ramping up to a voltage, and hitting a cold bulb with the same voltage, cold.

The flashpoint for "cold start" is obviously lower.

Hence the use of soft-starters, NTCs etc.

Plus there is a bell-curve; some bulbs will inevitably have higher or lower flashpoints than those tested, and what nobody knows is the spread of that distribution.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Great explanation.

For reference, all the bulbs used had zero to very few minutes of cumulative use.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1!

That got me too...

According to Lux Luthor's destructive tests, the ROP High only flashes at 8.6 volts. And while it is known that IMR Cs can keep its voltage far better than any regular li-ion cell, it is unlikely that it will maintain a solid 8.4+ volts under that high load.

What I am missing here?

I used 2 x KD Li-ion protected D-Cells on a ROP Hi bulb, my total run time before failure was about zero seconds. Without a soft starter the chances of a ROP high blowing when the 8.4V first hits is going to be more than no chance. I don't think Lux was willing to blow a couple of hundred bulbs so that he could tell us the range of voltages that the bulb would blow at - so you should use his charts as a guide, don't treat it as gospel. Any voltage near the point where Lux's tests indicated a bulb flashed will be risky, the bulb MAY blow at .2 or .3 lower if you are unlucky.

morelightnow

Enlightened
Thanks man!

I think I'm gonna stick with the ROP lamps for the 2C...

Do you know if I can use ANR 26650 MA1 batteries from A123 Systems in the 2C? They seem to be even better than 'C' IMRs...

Check it out: http://www.a123systems.com/products

Yes, you can use 2 a123 cells in a 2c, but it requires a special parts and a little customizing. I run a 5761 bulb by 2 of them for a very short bright light. I know the bulb is not as bright as it could be, but it beats anything else i have. Plus i don't have to worry about electronics or flashing the bulb. i haven't done a runtime test, but i calculated 20 minutes which at the time was as good a M6 and that was my goal. I'll take pics sometime soon so you can see what i mean.

One more thing. I had to make a custom charger for these batteries, so take that into consideration when making your decision.

DSC_0011.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts